Sign in to follow this  
tec87

Hall vs Valencia at 174 in All Star classic

Someone will have to explain the Track weight certifications to me.  Tsirtsis at 174, Shields at 184, and Anthony Valencia at 197.   It would appear with this info we'd see Tsirtsis at 157, Shields 165, and Anthony at 174.   I wouldn't think their max weight loss plans could reach below that, but I could be wrong. 

Edited by LemonPie

It is not a secret that Hall repeated the 7th grade. While it is not unheard of for a kid to be held back for athletic reasons, as he was, he was one year older than the "normal" high school senior when he graduated. Arguing otherwise is pointless. But given he pulled his redshirt last year, he won the championship as a 19/20 year old true freshman, which is within the "normal" age for a redshirt freshman, so he is basically back to even (as has been mentioned in a previous comment). One could even make the argument that, all else held equal, winning as a 19/20 year old true freshman is more impressive than winning as a 19/20 year old redshirt freshman, as he didn't have a full year of working out in the college room. No matter what, this will be a fun weight class to watch this season.

Edited by Crotalus

Valencia has a little length and size on Hall, but Hall is an insane scrambler and improvisor. I also see a gas tank edge for Hall. I think Mark should try to create as much action as possible without taking a poor shot.

Zahid should try to make it a tactical one shot at the end type match.

Edited by TBar1977

Someone will have to explain the Track weight certifications to me. Tsirtsis at 174, Shields at 184, and Anthony Valencia at 197. It would appear with this info we'd see Tsirtsis at 157, Shields 165, and Anthony at 174. I wouldn't think their max weight loss plans could reach below that, but I could be wrong.

It’s based on what they weighed at certification. It can be changed later, but it just means that Tsirtsis weighed at least 165.1 when he certified.

It’s based on what they weighed at certification. It can be changed later, but it just means that Tsirtsis weighed at least 165.1 when he certified.

That's what I figured. Looking more like they bump up a weight, correct? Can you work you way down to 149 after certifying while 165+? My impression is that Tsirtsis will have a minimum weight above 149. Not sure how flexible these weight plans are, but you also have Shields above 174 and Anthony above 184. Pretty much everyone certified just 1 or 2 weights above their weight class. These guys are three above 149/157/165. NCState is another team that looks like guys could be bumping.

I guess it depends on BF% when determining their lowest allowable weight, but all 3 seem far away from where some expect them to wrestle.

From my understanding of the 16-17 guidelines, all 3 of those guys would need to be at least 15% body fat. Not all that unreasonable, but I doubt all three are that high.  Then again, one of Maruca/Tsirtsis better be. 

Same with Fausz, Wilson, and Jack at NCState

Edited by LemonPie

I'm a homer for Valencia and had him pegged to win it all, but Hall is something special. Tbh I see it between them, and that's not a discredit to BoJo but if there was a time to capitalize, it was last year.

As for Tbar's suggestion, I don't see Hall bringing the pressure to Valencia, since he's so good at counterwrestling (I think Valencia has the better 'true' offense). I think Valencia gave too much respect to Hall last time around, even ceding the double unders to Hall and bailing out. I think this time will be different, but they're both neck to neck imo, which means we all win.

What what what? You meaning you Flying Tiger is picking someone NOT from PSU??? Time to turn in your PSU Fan club membership card!

Imagine that, lol. Believe it or not, there is more. People like to dismiss me as a Penn State homer out of sheer mental laziness more then anything because I always support my point with factual evidence and am proven correct the vast majority of time. Furthermore, I don't argue with every anti Penn State stance, many times because I may actually agree with what's being said. For example, I also think it will be difficult for Penn State's 5 champs to repeat this season and tOSU is most likely going to be right there with Penn State for the championship. In the end it's just easier for someone to ignore my reasoning based on being a Penn State fan because otherwise they actually have put forth the effort and formulate a cognitive point instead of mindlessly dismissing it. Just look at some of the posts in this thread by guys like Perry, LordNelson and silver-medal, one sentence of garbage; no substance. 

Edited by Flying-Tiger

Imagine that, lol. Believe it or not, there is more. People like to dismiss me as a Penn State homer out of sheer mental laziness more then anything because I always support my point with factual evidence and am proven correct the vast majority of time. Furthermore, I don't argue with every anti Penn State stance, many times because I may actually agree with what's being said. For example, I also think it will be difficult for Penn State's 5 champs to repeat this season and tOSU is most likely going to be right there with Penn State for the championship. In the end it's just easier for someone to ignore my reasoning based on being a Penn State fan because otherwise they actually have put forth the effort and formulate a cognitive point instead of mindlessly dismissing it. Just look at some of the posts in this thread by guys like Perry, LordNelson and silver-medal, one sentence of garbage; no substance.

You can add CJC and Wildturkey to the list of garbage.

As a student athlete, it is very typical to be a 20 year old Sophomore in college so what's the point of talking about high school at this point? He didn't redshirt so he's right where he should be, that's pretty much the end of the age discussion. 

The normal age range of graduating high school seniors is age 17 to 19 with most being 18. Outside of that range would be considered abnormal. Here in the good ol U-S-A.

LOL!!!!

This is normal.  But when Aaron Pico does it......it's a 20 page thread on age.  LMFAO!!!

Anyway, Hall got schooled!

It is not a secret that Hall repeated the 7th grade. While it is not unheard of for a kid to be held back for athletic reasons, as he was, he was one year older than the "normal" high school senior when he graduated.

I've said it 100 times, but high school athletes shouldn't be allowed to compete beyond the academic year in which they turn 18. 

Valencia has a little length and size on Hall, but Hall is an insane scrambler and improvisor. I also see a gas tank edge for Hall. I think Mark should try to create as much action as possible without taking a poor shot.

Zahid should try to make it a tactical one shot at the end type match.

I didn't see the match, but from the descriptions of it my prognostication seems about right. Yes, I am patting myself on the back here. Lol.

I didn't see the match, but from the descriptions of it my prognostication seems about right. Yes, I am patting myself on the back here. Lol.

From descriptions of the match, it sounds like Valencia kept working to score, not try to wrestle tactical and win by one takedown, Hall just isn't that easy to takedown. Edited by maolsen

I disagree. There are many seniors who are 19 years old. Nothing abnormal about it. There are also many college freshmen who are 17. Equally. Again nothing abnormal about it.

Just because a number of people are held back a year, making them a 19 year old senior, does not mean that this is the normal trajectory for HS.

Just because a number of people are held back a year, making them a 19 year old senior, does not mean that this is the normal trajectory for HS.

There are many kids who also start school later than others. There are kids that immigrate into the country. There are many reason why a kid may be a senior at 19 years old. My point is being 19 years old when graduating is not as abnormal as those on these boards are making it out to be.