Sign in to follow this  
tec87

Hall vs Valencia at 174 in All Star classic

I wouldn’t call TBar’s prediction cowardly, but from what I read, it also doesn’t support a self back pat. Sounds like Valencia made more attempts than one at the end.

And BTF — 19 in HS is not normal. Normal is graduating at 17 or 18. There are plenty of people that don’t fit within the band of ‘normal’ on many topics. The whole idea of defining a normal is that most are but some are not. Does it make the person bad ... of course not!

We, as a society, should not be seeking to further delay the introduction of capable people into value add activities (getting a job) unless the delay results in enough of a value /productivity improvement to justify the delay.

I wouldn’t call TBar’s prediction cowardly, but from what I read, it also doesn’t support a self back pat. Sounds like Valencia made more attempts than one at the end.

And BTF — 19 in HS is not normal. Normal is graduating at 17 or 18. There are plenty of people that don’t fit within the band of ‘normal’ on many topics. The whole idea of defining a normal is that most are but some are not. Does it make the person bad ... of course not!

We, as a society, should not be seeking to further delay the introduction of capable people into value add activities (getting a job) unless the delay results in enough of a value /productivity improvement to justify the delay.

17-19 is the normal range for graduating seniors.

Although it is still very rare, just under 20% of 2013 kindergartners turn 6 before November vs. less than 5% in 1974 and 11.8% in 1994.  Still, of those, a vast majority fall between there and September 1st as that is the most common cut off(27 states are within 15 days of that cut off). Only 6 states cut off between July 31st and November 14th.

So, it is safe to say that graduating High School at 19 is very rare, but 20+ % may turn 19 on the calendar year they graduated.

Edited to add: For those of you that want verification, the stats were pulled from the October 2013 Census(quoted by the Boston Globe) and the NCES(National Center for Education Statistics).

Edited by MSU158

Although it is still very rare, just under 20% of 2013 kindergartners turn 6 before November vs. less than 5% in 1974 and 11.8% in 1994. Still, of those, a vast majority fall between there and September 1st as that is the most common cut off(27 states are within 15 days of that cut off). Only 6 states cut off between July 31st and November 14th.

So, it is safe to say that graduating High School at 19 is very rare, but 20+ % may turn 19 on the calendar year they graduated.

Edited to add: For those of you that want verification, the stats were pulled from the October 2013 Census(quoted by the Boston Globe) and the NCES(National Center for Education Statistics).

I bet the majority of that 20 percent are born between July and November, making them 18 upon graduation. Edited by Billyhoyle

seems like we are still hung up on this word "normal". let's get some stats on % of high schoolers who graduate high school after turning 19. that will tell us how "typical' it is. 

MSU158, thank you for providing numbers and getting us close. interesting that more and more parents appear to be waiting longer before enrolling their kids in elementary school. 

If cutoffs for Kindergarten are defined as turning 5 by August (or later) then graduating at 17 or 18 is by definition expected and normal given ... math.

Graduating at 19 requires someone to start their kid late or hold them back during a year. That is not the ‘normal’ track. It is an exception to the ‘normal’ track.

Go ahead and pick a different word. I think we are getting hung up on simantics to a degree.

Edited by nom

Its just as normal to graduate at 19 as it is to graduate at 17 no matter how you spin it.

Most productive graduate at 18 yrs of age, not 19. Nineteen is normal. It's abnormal.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Its just as normal to graduate at 19 as it is to graduate at 17 no matter how you spin it.

Almost, but not quite.. People born in June, July & August graduate at 17 in the canonical case.  I agree that being 17 and 19 on September 1st after graduation are equally abnormal.

Most productive graduate at 18 yrs of age, not 19. Nineteen is normal. It's abnormal.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Nineteen is normal. It's abnormal.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you ment "not," never the less, I said age range. Anyways I'll consider listening to you when you earn your degree in education administration, but I'm glad you know the productivity rates of graduating seniors as well. Clearly you're also a certified guidance counselor. FYI typical and abnormal are two different things, but then again I'm not a judgemental person like you. 

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Nineteen is normal. It's abnormal.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you ment "not," never the less, I said age range. Anyways I'll consider listening to you when you earn your degree in education administration, but I'm glad you know the productivity rates of graduating seniors as well. Clearly you're also a certified guidance counselor. FYI typical and abnormal are two different things, but then again I'm not a judgemental person like you. 

Clearly you have no personality and carry water for PSU all day.

Imagine that, lol. Believe it or not, there is more. People like to dismiss me as a Penn State homer out of sheer mental laziness more then anything because I always support my point with factual evidence and am proven correct the vast majority of time. Furthermore, I don't argue with every anti Penn State stance, many times because I may actually agree with what's being said. For example, I also think it will be difficult for Penn State's 5 champs to repeat this season and tOSU is most likely going to be right there with Penn State for the championship. In the end it's just easier for someone to ignore my reasoning based on being a Penn State fan because otherwise they actually have put forth the effort and formulate a cognitive point instead of mindlessly dismissing it. Just look at some of the posts in this thread by guys like Perry, LordNelson and silver-medal, one sentence of garbage; no substance.

We need to bring Dr. Gonzo out of retirement for this guy.

A couple of items:

Hall v Valencia - it looked like other than a few ducks or the inside trip, it appeared that Hall wasn't going to show Zahid anything.  They have a lot of mat time together and I think he'll break out something in March. It may/may not work, but he'll need to produce some offense and not just rely on his incredible defense to win.

As for age, I have a summer birthday and graduated at 17, just before turning 18.

My son has a late fall bday and turned 18 a couple of months before graduating.

3 frosh that he entered his college frosh year and wrestled with (B1G school) were already 19. One turned 20 at the end of October, one in Feb and another in mid-March. All prior to the NCAA DI season completion. 

NATO is doing the Snyder fs/folk season that too ryan has been promoting recently. As for Snyder we are lucky he's even competing in ncaas considering how much better he is than any other wrestler currently in college. Doubt we see either much in duals this season, unfortunately, but that is nothing new for tosu. They put world level accolades ahead of duals and it shows. No other program in other country outside of Nebraska has the senior success that they do. It's probably one of the bigger draws tosu has in recruiting over teams like Penn State, Oklahoma State and Iowa.

Luke, the troll is strong in this one.

A couple of items:

Hall v Valencia - it looked like other than a few ducks or the inside trip, it appeared that Hall wasn't going to show Zahid anything. They have a lot of mat time together and I think he'll break out something in March. It may/may not work, but he'll need to produce some offense and not just rely on his incredible defense to win.

As for age, I have a summer birthday and graduated at 17, just before turning 18.

My son has a late fall bday and turned 18 a couple of months before graduating.

3 frosh that he entered his college frosh year and wrestled with (B1G school) were already 19. One turned 20 at the end of October, one in Feb and another in mid-March. All prior to the NCAA DI season completion.

on the otherhand, my kid was born 8/30. Cut off day was 9/1. Born 2 days later it is a senior year at 18. If held back for any reason it is a senior year at 19. Having been a teacher, anybody held back more than once is out of athletic eligibility, and has to go to a continuation school. Edited by sgallan

Mr. Nickal will enjoy the competition if Mr. Valencia does take the leap of faith...Mr. Hall will be settled come March as well!!!

P.S. The PSU "Train"!!!

Zahid is, and has always been, a tough match up for Nickal. Nickal is to loose in technique and position which plays into Zahids strengths. Technicians (Hall) are a better match up.

Didn't BO Jo's wife have a kid in early December last year when he was out with injury too? So that contributed to some missed time as well or happened at the right time with his injury.

Yep I think they have 2 kids. That alone will take the life out of you