Sign in to follow this  
tec87

Hall vs Valencia at 174 in All Star classic

The age discussion is a great topic ... for another thread.  I only brought up age (5 pages ago) because someone said Hall is young and has more potential to develop than Jordan. Hall will be 21 at the NCAA championships - that's not young for a college kid.

Hall has done great things and has a lot going for him this season - he doesn't need anyone to blur the facts to make him look even better.

His kids have nothing to do with it.

He made the choice to have kids, so not making excuses for him. But if you don't think having babies/toddlers adversely impacts focus and performance (athletic, professional or otherwise) ... then you're someone who doesn't have kids.

The age discussion is a great topic ... for another thread.  I only brought up age (5 pages ago) because someone said Hall is young and has more potential to develop than Jordan. Hall will be 21 at the NCAA championships - that's not young for a college kid.

Hall has done great things and has a lot going for him this season - he doesn't need anyone to blur the facts to make him look even better.

Maybe it would be better to say that Hall, being a newer collegiate wrestler (young experience), can learn and improve more than a guy (Jordan) that has spent 4+ years in a college room.

Hall v Valencia - it looked like other than a few ducks or the inside trip, it appeared that Hall wasn't going to show Zahid anything.  They have a lot of mat time together and I think he'll break out something in March. It may/may not work, but he'll need to produce some offense and not just rely on his incredible defense to win.

You think that's what it is?  I felt he was tentative to open himself up for fear of Zahid countering.  No doubt he'll make some adjustments come March, but I don't think he's hiding some secret technique at this point. 

I don't remember a time that Hall actually opened up his offense vs. elite competition.

I agree with this. He relies way too much on defense and counters, when quite frankly his defense isn't strong enough to get away with it all the time. His losses to Meyer and Jordan last season displayed that as did his loss last weekend to Valencia.

I don't remember a time that Hall actually opened up his offense vs. elite competition. 

Agreed.  This was how he wrestled him last year the NCAAs, minus a penalty point on ZV. This match will always be close. 

Hall is just so damn strong in that defensive turtle shell base that it makes him unfathomably hard to score upon. I thought Valencia had a few takedowns coming when Hall just broke free of them. Crazy how strong his sprawls and wizzers are. That aside though it didn't look like there was any chance Zahid was going to lose this match as he controlled the majority of the match and kept going at Hall where as Hall seemed to be waiting for a mistake. It will be interesting to see how they adjust come the NCAA tournament if they meet again. Although I think it's safe to say Zahid will be the #1 so will only need to face the winner of Bo/Hall in the finals since nobody is beating him with on that schedule he has and there is no way he doesn't get the number one after beating Hall. Just my two cents. He looks awfully big out there.

I guess I’m the odd man out here. Hall’s loss doesn’t mean a lot when you consider the pattern of him having not shown well in the past from time to time. I don’t like it but he has a second string version of him myself that subs for him from time to time. He has almost never failed when the spotlight is brightest.