• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#81 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 05:47 AM

That's a weird comment considering Cornell can't give out athletic scholarships.

Being recruited to wrestle for an Ivy League school and receiving athletic scholarship are two totally different things.

I remember reading an article/interview with Travis Lee back in 2005 where he talks about how college coaches were not interested in him until after winning Junior National Freestyle and Greco titles at which point most schools have already used up their scholarship budgets. The fact that Cornell is an Ivy League school that doesnt offer athletic scholarships helped him choose Cornell due to the fact that there weren't many scholarship offers coming his way anyways from other schools. He spoke of how inspite of winning 3 HS state titles being from Hawaii effected the way he was viewed compared to other wrestlers from more reputable states. I cant find that article anymore as I read it 12 years ago.

With that said if you say he was highly regarded and heralded as a high school senior I'm not going to argue against you, but I will certainly believe what he said about his college search process. 

#82 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 05:51 AM

I could see Lee not being recruited after his Jr year because HI isn't considered a wrestling state and he wasn't competing nationally but after he won Junior Nationals in Fargo he was on everybody's radar.

He beat Simmons in the finals and Simmons was very heralded coming out of HS.

Lee beat Simmons 3-1 at Junior Nationals in the summer of 2001 after graduating HS not after his Junior year. He also won Greco.

He took 6th in Freestyle and 4th in Greco in 2000 after his junior year. Simmons won the weight that year in Freestyle. Lee has been quoted in saying that he first tried the international styles in 11th grade.

Edited by BigTenFanboy, 09 October 2017 - 06:02 AM.

#83 paboom

paboom

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:23 PM

Nolf and Retherford both struggled at very rare times when they were younger and lightweights. The moment they matured and turned into middleweights in HS, they became dominant.

I wasn't high on Gulibon coming out of HS mostly based on his body language in big matches but I do see Teasdale being better but I can also see him never becoming a champ but 4x AA is still possible giving PSU's track record with their lightweights which traditionally has been the weakest part of their lineup minus Mega.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users