BigTenFanboy

Dayton Fix... to redshirt or not the redshirt?

That is the question..

After beating Nato not one, but twice tonight what impact if any do you guys think it has on whether or not Fix redshirts this winter? Clearly he has aspirations to become a World and Olympic champion and the faster he gets through his NCAA Career the sooner he gets to focus on those goals.

Personally I would love to see him and Spencer Lee both wrestle this year. With Nato, Suriano, Fix, and Lee in the mix with Cruz, Lizak, Piccininni, and a returning Zeke Moisey 125 becomes an incredible weight class!

Edited by BigTenFanboy

That is the question..

After beating Nato not one, but twice tonight what impact if any do you guys think it has on whether or not Fix redshirts this winter? Clearly he has aspirations to become a World and Olympic champion and the faster he gets through his NCAA Career the sooner he gets to focus on those goals.

Personally I would love to see him and Spencer Lee both wrestle this year. With Nato, Suriano, Fix, and Lee in the mix with Cruz, Lizak, Piccininni, and a returning Zeke Moisey 125 becomes an incredible weight class!

I don't believe OSU can qualify both Fix and Piccininni at 125, but if it happens I'd be very excited to see it.      

Nothing changed today.   Fix is the superior freestyler and should have been expected to win.  I expected him to win more convincingly.   He had two very competitive bouts, nearly losing the first one.  In freestyle given the level he is at, I am a little less encouraged for Fix in folk.   

No, you don't bench Piccininni ( a high AA contender) in favor of Fix (a high AA contender).     Does Fix go rogue and demand a wrestle off?   Could lead to a Surriano type scenario.    Penn State does need a 125, so perhaps the Fix camp may be thinking they can leverage their position with a threat of walking out and heading to see if Cael may have an opening.      What a mess.     

No, I think Fix continues to work on his wrestling over the next year and he inserts into 125 next season.    

I don't believe OSU can qualify both Fix and Piccininni at 125, but if it happens I'd be very excited to see it.      

Nothing changed today.   Fix is the superior freestyler and should have been expected to win.  I expected him to win more convincingly.   He had two very competitive bouts, nearly losing the first one.  In freestyle given the level he is at, I am a little less encouraged for Fix in folk.   

No, you don't bench Piccininni ( a high AA contender) in favor of Fix (a high AA contender).     Does Fix go rogue and demand a wrestle off?   Could lead to a Surriano type scenario.    Penn State does need a 125, so perhaps the Fix camp may be thinking they can leverage their position with a threat of walking out and heading to see if Cael may have an opening.      What a mess.     

No, I think Fix continues to work on his wrestling over the next year and he inserts into 125 next season.

Brain fart on my part listing Piccininni.. but you get my overall point. Fix is a serious National Championship contender where as Piccininni is probably a 4-6 contender.. sounds like a great problem for OSU and John Smith to have. I don't disagree with you, but would love to see Fix in the mix this season..

This is a stupid post.  Fix's dad is an assistant at OSU.  There is zero chance he leaves. 

Smith has never pushed Redshirts.  If Fix wants to wrestle he will.  

He just beat NaTo, a former Champ and multiple AA. I don't think there's any reason to have him sit out for a year to mature and get stronger. I know it was Freestyle, but if he can handle NaTo, who else is there at 125 this year? Soriano, Cruz, a few others? I think that if he red shirts, the rest of the 125'ers just get a break. He's on a roll, Coach Smith should just go with the Hot Hand.

I'm sure they have a plan of action and deadlines to meet goals, etc.  I would like him to shirt, but that's just me searching for a window in the Penn State dynasty to steal a team title or two with this stud at the center of it.  Recruiting is such an art form, and the PSU studs are just hitting their prime.

Coleman Scott did not redshirt when the team really didnt need him in the lineup his freshman season. At this time is there really a benefit to redshirt Fix? Will OSU be legitimately contending for a Team title in 2022 where they could need his services?

Edited by BigTenFanboy

I agree with put your best guy on the Kat no matter what. Tomorrow is uncertain. And I don’t like redshirting as it is.

But there absolutely is a good argument for the redshirt. Picconinni is not chopped liver. How likely is Fix to our score him at NCAAs, and by what margin? And will that margin matter anyway given PSU returns half the NCAA champs from last year and tOSU is looking like they’ll give PSU a very good run with an improved lineup?

I don’t KKR hat type of thinking (again, I don’t like redshirts), but there absolutely is a good argument for keeping Fix out.

There are actually 2 giant reasons to redshirt as a true freshman and only 1 of them is on the mat related.

1.)Mat wrestling-especially on bottom.  Very few of even the highest recruits come in truly ready for what DI wrestling has on the mat. Having a year to truly focus on this without the stress of having to make weight and go compete for your team is a significant advantage.

2.)Juggling what it takes to be a student athlete while getting a dose of just how long an NCAA DI wrestling season is.  A year to learn how to go to class, go to practice, attend meets, study, etc. makes a world of difference.

Fix may very well be as ready as almost anyone was as a True Freshman.  Still, with what OkState currently has at his weight, both his team and himself would benefit more by his gentle assimilation.  Plus, he will still have the option to redshirt in 2020.

There are actually 2 giant reasons to redshirt as a true freshman and only 1 of them is on the mat related.

1.)Mat wrestling-especially on bottom.  Very few of even the highest recruits come in truly ready for what DI wrestling has on the mat. Having a year to truly focus on this without the stress of having to make weight and go compete for your team is a significant advantage.

2.)Juggling what it takes to be a student athlete while getting a dose of just how long an NCAA DI wrestling season is.  A year to learn how to go to class, go to practice, attend meets, study, etc. makes a world of difference.

Fix may very well be as ready as almost anyone was as a True Freshman.  Still, with what OkState currently has at his weight, both his team and himself would benefit more by his gentle assimilation.  Plus, he will still have the option to redshirt in 2020.

I doubt Fix would have any issue with mat wrestling. He looked stronger than NaTo yesterday when NaTo couldn't even break his tripod. The other issue is totally legit for many freshman. 

Fix is going to redshirt... that has been the plan since day 1 even though he is a potential champ right now and bare minimum high AA...

Fix absolutely does have a problem with mat wrestling... as do most who are that dynamic on their feet... mat wrestling is boring... focus on what you are good at and that is stealing souls with TD-2 E-1... plus, mat wrestling is a non issue in the real styles, which, is where he should be focusing all his energy... why he is even bothering with collegiate is beyond me, but, those roots with uncle john run deep...

I doubt Fix would have any issue with mat wrestling. He looked stronger than NaTo yesterday when NaTo couldn't even break his tripod. The other issue is totally legit for many freshman. 

NATO couldn't break his quad pod yesterday because it is a position he is unfamiliar with... when fix got NATO in the same position he knew exactly what to do with a quickness... purely familiarity

Fix is going to redshirt... that has been the plan since day 1 even though he is a potential champ right now and bare minimum high AA...

Fix absolutely does have a problem with mat wrestling... as do most who are that dynamic on their feet... mat wrestling is boring... focus on what you are good at and that is stealing souls with TD-2 E-1... plus, mat wrestling is a non issue in the real styles, which, is where he should be focusing all his energy... why he is even bothering with collegiate is beyond me, but, those roots with uncle john run deep...

If his focus should be on international style and he shouldn't even be "bothering with collegiate" wouldn't it make sense to not redshirt and finish his NCAA career as soon as possible?

If his focus should be on international style and he shouldn't even be "bothering with collegiate" wouldn't it make sense to not redshirt and finish his NCAA career as soon as possible?

A thing that gets lost a lot in this thought process is the actual course load necessary to make sure you graduate in the same time frame.  It is a lot easier to taken 12 credit hours per semester than it is 15 or more.  The 5 year plan doesn't just make it easier to wrestle.  It also makes it easier to hand your class schedule.

no, it would make sense to be at the OTC or an RTC of his choice and focusing on winning world and olympic golds while in his physical prime instead of wasting it with learning how not to wrestle in folk for even one minute... 

Depends.  He can walk away from that career at any point, so a RS this year does not prolong anything if he doesn't want it to.  If he wins a gold medal in 2020 he could take the money and walk.  Most kids won't do like Snyder and keep wrestling college matches and skipping the payday.  So the RS does not at all determine what he does or doesn't do in 2022. 

Additionally, getting his training paid for with no college matches in the next 12 months is a perfect situation for a 19 year old.  If I'm Smith I wrestle him simply because by the time 12 months go by he might be a world champ with no interest in college wrestling.

The bottom line is Fix can do whatever he wants and every option is wide open for him.  

no, it would make sense to be at the OTC or an RTC of his choice and focusing on winning world and olympic golds while in his physical prime instead of wasting it with learning how not to wrestle in folk for even one minute... 

He's been in the OSU room for a while and it hasn't hurt his development one bit.  In fact he's developed much faster than all the kids around the world who've never heard of folkstyle.  I don't say that to mean folkstyle helps even one bit, I say it to show it hasn't hurt him one bit.  That may not be the case for the huge majority of wrestlers, but he's not the huge majority of wrestlers.  I see nothing to justify the idea the OTC would speed his development.  

I know it hasn't happened often, but, of those that have made US teams while still in College, how many have actually not come back after?

The reason I ask is, I see many talking as if doing so would change these wrestlers' minds about staying in school.  I see the opposite.  Everything they did at school led them to that point.  Why wouldn't they want to go back?  Obviously, the wrestling environment they were in didn't hurt them in getting there and they get an education with an inevitable degree paid for.  Seems like a pretty good deal to me!

Edited by MSU158

I know it hasn't happened often, but, of those that have made US teams while still in College, how many have actually not come back after?

The reason I ask is, I see many talking as if doing so would change these wrestlers' minds about staying in school.  I see the opposite.  Everything they did at school led them to that point.  Why wouldn't they want to go back?  Obviously, the wrestling environment they were in didn't hurt them in getting there and they get an education with an inevitable degree paid for.  Seems like a pretty good deal to me!

I think in recent years the mindset of elite recruits is shifting towards international goals being most important and the college years just being a stop over on the way to world glory.  Previously international wrestling was largely something focused on after college.  Now when these kids are 17-20 the most important thing they can do is win Cadet/Junior titles.  

If enough kids win World and Olympic titles while still college aged, I think some will take the money and endorsements.  It won't sever their love for their universities.  Kevin Durant spent a year at Texas and still loves the place like he graduated.  Fix (or someone like him), could leave eligibility on the table and not love OSU or college wrestling any less.  He could be repping OSU gear while winning world titles and accomplish as much for OSU recruiting as he would winning NCAA titles.  

But yes, until it happens for even one kid it's just speculation.  I have no idea what's really in their heads.

He's been in the OSU room for a while and it hasn't hurt his development one bit.  In fact he's developed much faster than all the kids around the world who've never heard of folkstyle.  I don't say that to mean folkstyle helps even one bit, I say it to show it hasn't hurt him one bit.  That may not be the case for the huge majority of wrestlers, but he's not the huge majority of wrestlers.  I see nothing to justify the idea the OTC would speed his development.  

at his weight, you better learn how to mat wrestle to win an D1 championship... even one minute spent on that is hurting his development... it doesn't show now, because he has mostly been focusing on his feet and din't have to worry about mat wrestling against 99% of the kids he wrestles in this country... but, fix has been held down in the past at the big folk tourneys by the absolute cream of the crop at the high school level... it is his main weakness... that a propensity to let anyone in on his legs... 

how many wrestlers get their degree entirely paid for?

a serious number?

not just some specualtion...

it is entirely too few...

yes, there are some shady things going on behind the scenes to procure more money than what is available... i know one kid that got a soccer scholarship to go wrestle... things can happen, but, there is simply not enough money for wrestling scholarships to justify that being your reason to waste your rpime physical years if international success is your main goal...