BigTenFanboy

Dayton Fix... to redshirt or not the redshirt?

to be fair, i know you will not concede or stop because that would mean something to you in this make believe BBS hell... i get it... whatever...

just understand that engaging in a style that rewards not wrestling will not make you better in the real styles... folk does have more rule changes than the international styles... and even one single world bronze means more than 4 D1 championships... 

but, yeah...

USA!!!USA!!!!USA!!!!!!!

minor tweaks to a faulty system that has ultimately rewarded not wrestling as opposed to wrestling... 

folk has more rule changes than international... you can not refute that because you would be patently wrong...

but keep beating that drum... good on you...

USA!!USA!!!USA!!!!

The Olympic gold medal that JB won in 2012 is in an entirely different style than the World Gold that me won this past summer.

Freestyle rule changes are qualitatively greater than that of folk. Quality over quantity. You can not refute that because you would be patently wrong....

But keep beating that drum... good on you...

USA!! USA!! USA!! you know the country where folkstyle was invented!

Kind of ironic that freestyle had to throw out their entire rule book and rewrite the whole thing because you know quite frankly... Freestyle sucked.. and then when they rewrote the rules.. well what do you know.. They rewrote them to be similar to wrestling neutral only in folkstyle than EVER before in what's probably the best freestyle system there's ever been in the history of the sport. But yea folk sucks.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

The style of wrestling that Kendall Cross won Olympic Gold in is a completely different style of wrestling that Brandon Sly won an Olympic Gold in which is also a completely different style of wrestling that Jordan Burroughs won an Olympic Gold in which is a completely different style of wrestling that Kyle Synder won an Olympic Gold in.

The style of wrestling that Dan Gable won 2 NCAA titles in is pretty much the same style as the style of wrestling that Cael Sanderson won 4 NCAA titles in which is pretty much the sake style of wrestling that Kyle Snyder recently won his second NCAA title in.

Yup folkstyle changes more than Freestyle.

Let me get a clinch on that leg of yours. Oh wait no the ref pulled your colored ball out of the bag nit mine! And while your at it let me score a 1 point takedown, I mean a 2 point takedown. And throw in some points for me trying to throw you but not actually accomplishing anything. Oh and don't award the other guy a takedown when I screw up and mess up my throw attempt because you know.. trying is what counts, not actually doing and when I fail I shouldnt be penalized for it. Let me score 6 points for a period tech and u score 1 point to me 0 in the next 2 periods and you win the match even though i scored 6 points and you scored 2. Let's wrestle for a single 5 min period. Oh yea let's wrestle for 5 min and if we score more than 3 points the match should end in regulation but if we don't let's do over time. Wait no lets not do overtime anymore and if i score 1 big move i should beat you over your 4 small moves... and let me win if I am losing the match but tie up the score with you. You know we both score 1 point each but yea.. I win.

Freestyle rocks dude!

USA USA USA... the home of folkstyle!

Edited by BigTenFanboy

what makes a successful folk wrestler is almost the antithesis of what makes a successful international wrestler... the guys you are wanting to point to did not regress as wrestlers during collegiate wrestling... they became better wrestlers, but, fell further away from top level competition internationally... 

That is such an idiotic statement that I can't believe that you have ever competed in either style in any significant way.  A great folkstyle wrestler can make the transition to FS and the reverse is also be true.  There is usually no  incentive for FS wrestlers to learn folkstyle except when one goes to college in the US (like the Abdurakmonovs). 

Abdurakhmanov is an interesting case in this discussion.  Obviously he wrestled in Uzbekistan, but his first Foeldeak entry is after he came here and wrestled folkstyle in Colby freaking Kansas.  He wrestled folkstyle for 4 or 5 developmentally important years and became the best freestyle wrestler in Uzbekistan.  Good enough to medal in the World championships/2014.

That is such an idiotic statement that I can't believe that you have ever competed in either style in any significant way. A great folkstyle wrestler can make the transition to FS and the reverse is also be true. There is usually no incentive for FS wrestlers to learn folkstyle except when one goes to college in the US (like the Abdurakmonovs).

Let me save you a ton of time: don’t go down that rabbit hole. All you need to know about him was already posted. A single leg is not a freestyle technique. Defensive technique doesn’t qualify as technique. There is zero overlap and therefore skill transfer between free and folk, and in fact, skill in one is inversely correlated to skill in the other. Etc.

Let me save you a ton of time: don’t go down that rabbit hole. All you need to know about him was already posted. A single leg is not a freestyle technique. Defensive technique doesn’t qualify as technique. There is zero overlap and therefore skill transfer between free and folk, and in fact, skill in one is inversely correlated to skill in the other. Etc.

And Freestyle has changed less than Folkstyle.

That is such an idiotic statement that I can't believe that you have ever competed in either style in any significant way.  A great folkstyle wrestler can make the transition to FS and the reverse is also be true.  There is usually no  incentive for FS wrestlers to learn folkstyle except when one goes to college in the US (like the Abdurakmonovs). 

I would say its easier for a Modern Day Folkstyler to transition into a Mordern Day Freestyler than it would be for a 2012 Freestyler to transition into a Modern Day Freestyler.

A common misconception on this board is Henry did not attend college.     Henry not only enrolled, he earned his degree.  

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/olympics/2015/04/22/henry-cejudo-mixed-martial-arts-olympics-wrestling-maryvale-high-grand-canyon-university/26207729/

Word is he's done well in real estate investments and he has a pretty good income from  fighting.    Henry is doing well for himself.   

That said, I just can't see putting Fix on the mat over Piccininni unless Fix demands a wrestle off  and wins the spot.      

That's awesome, thanks for updating me.

With all the recent U.S. success, I thought maybe we would get a break from the folk is killing free complaining; guess not. Snyder (Gold), Gilman (Silver) and Cox (Bronze) all just finished up a college season a few months before Worlds. The Jr. Team just won team gold with all of the guys wrestling significant time in Folk. At this point, it's time to acknowledge reality and recognize that Folk can complement Freestyle with the proper training regimen. 

If OSU red shirts both Fix and Smith, they are scary good from 125-157 next year, similar to PSU from 149-184 this year.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

They'd be scary good this year if they wrestle Fix and Smith. I think they could even contend for the NC. I would favor Fix over anyone at 125 and Smith would be top 3 or 4. 

Edited by TBar1977

They'd be scary good this year if they wrestle Fix and Smith. I think they could even contend for the NC. I would favor Fix over anyone at 125 and Smith would be top 3 or 4. 

OSU has zero chance to win it this year with the lineups PSU and tOSU are throwing out there.  Best to wait a year and then they have a real chance at winning it for 2-3 years.  Same reason Iowa should redshirt Lee.

But I see why you think OSU should throw everyone out there this year but I don't think Smith is going to agree with you.  Afterall I recall PSU doing the same thing a couple of years ago.

OSU can still take 4th this year conceding.

Edited by paboom

OSU has zero chance to win it this year with the lineups PSU and tOSU are throwing out there.  Best to wait a year and then they have a real chance at winning it for 2-3 years.  Same reason Iowa should redshirt Lee.

But I see why you think OSU should throw everyone out there this year but I don't think Smith is going to agree with you.  Afterall I recall PSU doing the same thing a couple of years ago.

OSU can still take 4th this year conceding.

The way the sport is set up you can "redshirt" a kid and give him 30 high level matches by mid January and decide then when you have a more realistic look at the national landscape.  In mid January maybe Jacobe Smith is top 3 in the country and Marsden is pinning guys on his way to the top 5.  Maybe Derek White is a bumped up heavyweight in the top 10.  Maybe injuries in other places bring other teams back to the pack a bit.  And if all of those miracles occur, then maybe you think about the extra 5 points out of Fix.  

But the bottom line is that duals are so meaningless and tournaments are so accessible to redshirts that there is no reason not to redshirt everyone the first half of the season.

Makes sense to RS Fix. Picc will challenge for high NCAA honors this year and I see no reason he won't improve on his 4th place finish last year. So if Fix is better at folk (not a given even for a world FS champ) than Picc how many more points do the Cowboys get at NCAAs? Another 5 points? 10? Enough reason to let Fix wrestle in opens and get even stronger. The year after Heil will be gone and Brock can bump up, and Picc/Fix can hash out 125/133. Picc improved a lot last year, I wouldn't be too surpised if he was a finalist this year.

Makes sense to RS Fix. Picc will challenge for high NCAA honors this year and I see no reason he won't improve on his 4th place finish last year. So if Fix is better at folk (not a given even for a world FS champ) than Picc how many more points do the Cowboys get at NCAAs? Another 5 points? 10? Enough reason to let Fix wrestle in opens and get even stronger. The year after Heil will be gone and Brock can bump up, and Picc/Fix can hash out 125/133. Picc improved a lot last year, I wouldn't be too surpised if he was a finalist this year.

Do you see him placing in the top 3 while having to deal with the likes of Nato, Cruz, Suriano, and Lizak?

Do you see him placing in the top 3 while having to deal with the likes of Nato, Cruz, Suriano, and Lizak?

Fix or Picc?

I think Picc has the potential to beat any of them. That said those guys would be favored vs Picc right now, assuming they make it to NCAAs. People seem to forget that Piccininni was giving Suriano all he could handle before Suriano got hurt in their last match. I think Piccininni will improve more than anybody else in the country this year (wrestling against Fix/Brock every day). I'm pretty high on the kid.

Fix would beat them all, I think, but that's not guaranteed. I've seen hot**** FS guys fall on their faces in folk before, as I'm sure you have. Remember Chris Perry his FR year? Obviously very talented, but his folk skills weren't up to snuff. Fast forward two years and he was the best rider in the NCAA, lol.

Fix or Picc?

I think Picc has the potential to beat any of them. That said those guys would be favored vs Picc right now, assuming they make it to NCAAs. People seem to forget that Piccininni was giving Suriano all he could handle before Suriano got hurt in their last match. I think Piccininni will improve more than anybody else in the country this year (wrestling against Fix/Brock every day). I'm pretty high on the kid.

Fix would beat them all, I think, but that's not guaranteed. I've seen hot**** FS guys fall on their faces in folk before, as I'm sure you have. Remember Chris Perry his FR year? Obviously very talented, but his folk skills weren't up to snuff. Fast forward two years and he was the best rider in the NCAA, lol.

I would have Fix favored against all of them right now..

I dont know if I would say that Picc was giving Suriano all he could handle. Suriano looked pretty comfortable winning 3-1 at the time. Picc would be the underdog against all of them.. If they all were at healthy and at NCAA's I would have them all beating him.. I'm not saying that Picc couldn't beat any of them, however I would certainly be surprised if he did. Just based on who's in the weight without having brackets to look at I see him finishing 5th at best... I certainly do not see him finishing 3rd or better unless some fluke happens in an early round that makes his road to the finals a lot easier...

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Yeah, Suriano was leading, but it was a tenuous lead I thought, and Picc was showing a lot of scrap. The thing that impressed me about Piccininni was how much he improved over the course of the year, Hopefully he can continue that type of improvement wrestling against studs like Brock every day.

I wouldn't be surprised if Suriano lost a step or two. The coaching staff at Rutgers isn't as good as PSU, the daily competition in practice isn't going to be as intense either. But, I've been wrong before.

Yeah, Suriano was leading, but it was a tenuous lead I thought, and Picc was showing a lot of scrap. The thing that impressed me about Piccininni was how much he improved over the course of the year, Hopefully he can continue that type of improvement wrestling against studs like Brock every day.

I wouldn't be surprised if Suriano lost a step or two. The coaching staff at Rutgers isn't as good as PSU, the daily competition in practice isn't going to be as intense either. But, I've been wrong before.

I dont know if i would call it a tenuous lead. If Suriano didnt get hurt in that match I would say the final score would have ended up something like 7-2 for Suriano. Not a thrashing by any means but I could see Suriano scoring another takedown finishing the 2nd period with a 5-1 lead... Picc escaping in the third and again Suriano scoring another takedown. We'll see how Suriano does with Rutgers. He says hes got everything he needs and I have no reason at this point to doubt him. He's there to create his own legacy and not be just part of one..

Edited by BigTenFanboy

I dont know if i would call it a tenuous lead. If Suriano didnt get hurt in that match I would say the final score would have ended up something like 7-2 for Suriano. Not a thrashing by any means but I could see Suriano scoring another takedown finishing the 2nd period with a 5-1 lead... Picc escaping in the third and again Suriano scoring another takedown. We'll see how Suriano does with Rutgers. He says hes got everything he needs and I have no reason at this point to doubt him. He's there to create his own legacy and not be just part of one..

He'd be Rutgers first champ if he won, right? Amazing that Rutgers has such a weak wrestling tradition with all the talent the state produces. I wouldn't mind Suriano winning it all.