BigTenFanboy

Dayton Fix... to redshirt or not the redshirt?

To me, Folk is more pure than FS.  I want to know who the better wrestler is, not who is better at takedowns or exposure without control.    

So whose rules you using for takedowns and backpoints? USA's?  Then you only get to find out who is best in this country. Freestyle rules have been adapted over many years to try and eliminate judgement so one country isn't favored, by rules or ref, over another.  

One thing I do miss is that they used to do more mat wrestling (No stalling called on bottom, so as to eliminate favoritism calls) in freestyle. I do think it is important.  But I want them on their feet if nothing is happening but a ride-off.  Come on that is just boring and grinding, mostly on the viewer. 

To me, Folk is more pure than FS.  I want to know who the better wrestler is, not who is better at takedowns or exposure without control.

Takedowns are just one aspect of the sport, not the entire thing. I agree heartily with Joe.

To me Freestyle is like overtime shootout for soccer. It's incomplete. And like Joe24 and Tobusrex said it's only 1 aspect of the sport.

So whose rules you using for takedowns and backpoints? USA's?  Then you only get to find out who is best in this country. Freestyle rules have been adapted over many years to try and eliminate judgement so one country isn't favored, by rules or ref, over another.  

One thing I do miss is that they used to do more mat wrestling (No stalling called on bottom, so as to eliminate favoritism calls) in freestyle. I do think it is important.  But I want them on their feet if nothing is happening but a ride-off.  Come on that is just boring and grinding, mostly on the viewer.

Freestyle imo is much more subjective than folk.

Just curious why you think Folk is silly? True wrestling if you ask me. FS pretty much takedowns, not really determining the better wrestler. Even the takedowns aren't about control more than exposure. I believe a true wrestler is more folk than FS. Take Fix--best at U23 at FS--think he would win Nationals this year. Mat Wrestling. That's wrestling, too.

Folkstyle = silly

Because we are the only country in the world that does it. Im not discrediting the skill it takes to rise to the top of folkstyle wrestling. And yes it allows some wrestlers who dont have a "world level" freestyle skillset, to be domestic collegiate superstars, however it only makes sense that if all our wrestlers competed in freestyle year round our depth and competitiveness would consistantly be right there with the top countries in the world.

If there was a world level folkstyle tourney that started next year wouldnt you expect us to be the balls since the other countries dont focus on it?

Again its a great form of wrestling but to work for the majority of ones career towards folkstyle accolades and then once you get to the most elite level sway over into a new style doesnt seem efficient.

We had great results this year and I hope for more. We are (currently) identifying youth talent and throwing some support behind them... between social media exposure providing really financial opportunitues, an increase in training opportunities, and free nation/worldwide travel, I think it really fuels their success and is giving us a chance. However we still really hang our hats on those few youth stars and hope that some others work their way into contention, if everyone wrestled freestyle all the time the pool would deepen itself immediately.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Folkstyle = silly

Because we are the only country in the world that does it. Im not discrediting the skill it takes to rise to the top of folkstyle wrestling. And yes it allows some wrestlers who dont have a "world level" freestyle skillset, to be domestic collegiate superstars, however it only makes sense that if all our wrestlers competed in freestyle year round our depth and competitiveness would consistantly be right there with the top countries in the world.

If there was a world level folkstyle tourney that started next year wouldnt you expect us to be the balls since the other countries dont focus on it?

Again its a great form of wrestling but to work for the majority of ones career towards folkstyle accolades and then once you get to the most elite level sway over into a new style doesnt seem efficient.

We had great results this year and I hope for more. We are (currently) identifying youth talent and throwing some support behind them... between social media exposure providing really financial opportunitues, an increase in training opportunities, and free nation/worldwide travel, I think it really fuels their success and is giving us a chance. However we still really hang our hats on those few youth stars and hope that some others work their way into contention, if everyone wrestled freestyle all the time the pool would deepen itself immediately.

Is Football silly because America is the only country that plays it?

If there was a football Olympics with different rules I would say yes.

It would be similar to the entire world mastering flag football while we only play tackle, then going out and expecting to be competitive in a completely seperate game

It would be similar to the entire world mastering flag football while we only play tackle, then going out and expecting to be competitive in a completely seperate game

Sorry, but this is a horrible analogy. Flag football is primarily a recreational, noncompetitve sport. Every aspect of Freestyle wrestling is part of folkstyle, while the reverse is not true. Folkstyle is a much more complete, more advanced and developed style of wrestling compared to free.

Yes there is. It's called rugby. American football is a variant of rugby.

Lol 2 differnt sports completely... NFL is a stand alone sport not a variation of rugby.

And its just entertainment, these guys have no Olympic aspirations.

Its just ridiculous to spend 12 yesrs practicing the breast-stroke when the premier tournament of your sport (Olympics) only offers the backstroke.... Folkstyle vs freestyle.

Smith was my favorite wrestler a long time back, but doesn't seem all that fun to wrestle for. Weight cutting and control, not to mention a pretty dour attitude every time I see a video of him at practice.

I agree he cuts his guys too hard, but your view of him as a practice coach couldn’t be farther off from the truth. I have never heard a negative thing about Smith as a practice room coach from any of his wrestlers, literally not even once. Guys seek him out long after they graduate, whether it’s to help them internationally or in MMA. Hendricks and Cormier talk to him regularly for advice and motivation and even get back in the room as part of their training camps for fighting. The most negative thing I’ve ever hear about Smith want even a negative: Alan Fried once said he wishes he could’ve wrestled for Gable in college and that Iowa was his first choice, and when he said this, Smith wasn’t even the head coach at OSU.

Lol 2 differnt sports completely... NFL is a stand alone sport not a variation of rugby.

And its just entertainment, these guys have no Olympic aspirations.

Its just ridiculous to spend 12 yesrs practicing the breast-stroke when the premier tournament of your sport (Olympics) only offers the backstroke.... Folkstyle vs freestyle.

Then NCAA Wrestling is a completely different sport. American Football is just as similar to Rugby as Folkstyle is to Freestyle.

American Football absolutely is a variant of Rugby. We can agree to disagree, however the roots of American Football evolved from Rugby which is a historical fact.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

And we don't expect our Football players to represent us in Rugby

Because American Football Players have tremendous financial opportunities that our wrestlers don't have. If there was a professional pro folkstyle league that was financially successful and paid our wrestlers millions of dollars you can damn sure bet we would have less representation in wrestling at the Olympics.

If the NFL disappeared, I believe our Olympic Rugby participation numbers would increase trememdously.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

I agree he cuts his guys too hard, but your view of him as a practice coach couldn’t be farther off from the truth. I have never heard a negative thing about Smith as a practice room coach from any of his wrestlers, literally not even once. Guys seek him out long after they graduate, whether it’s to help them internationally or in MMA. Hendricks and Cormier talk to him regularly for advice and motivation and even get back in the room as part of their training camps for fighting. The most negative thing I’ve ever hear about Smith want even a negative: Alan Fried once said he wishes he could’ve wrestled for Gable in college and that Iowa was his first choice, and when he said this, Smith wasn’t even the head coach at OSU.

I'm a Smith fan but I wouldn't brag much about helping a Hendricks training camp.

1.) Folkstyle is silly even though we all love it.

2.) Fix is the future of freestyle but his beating NATO should have no influence on your folkstlye predictions

3.) OsU has a top caliber folkstyler already in the lineup. Let him do his thing and Fix both develop into a top caliber folkstyler as well as add a u23 world championships.

Pulling his RS based on wonderful freestyle results is a ridiculous theory.

1. Folk is not silly. Your assessment of it being silly is ridiculous

2. His beating Nato absolutely should have influence on your folkstyle predictions. I created a thread asking for examples of differing results based on style and it was pretty quiet. If you beat someone in 1 style you are most likely to beat that same person in another style. If you disagree, please provide an example where 1 wrestler was more dominant in one style with his rival more dominant in the other.

3. Pulling his redshirt would have to do with whether or not Fix wants to redshirt. He handled the number 1 ranked wrestler in the country. Based on this "wonderful freestyle result" his interest in competing this season could be sparked. If this were the case it absolutely would not be ridiculous.

So again all three for your statements have been whats ridiculous in this thread, not the other way around.

1. Folk is not silly. Your assessment of it being silly is ridiculous

2. His beating Nato absolutely should have influence on your folkstyle predictions. I created a thread asking for examples of differing results based on style and it was pretty quiet. If you beat someone in 1 style you are most likely to beat that same person in another style. If you disagree, please provide an example where 1 wrestler was more dominant in one style with his rival more dominant in the other.

3. Pulling his redshirt would have to do with whether or not Fix wants to redshirt. He handled the number 1 ranked wrestler in the country. Based on this "wonderful freestyle result" his interest in competing this season could be sparked. If this were the case it absolutely would not be ridiculous.

So again all three for your statements have been whats ridiculous in this thread, not the other way around.

I dont want to put much effort into this (watching UFC & NCAAF), but You gave me an easy task. I'll choose any of the freestylers who railroaded Heil this summer vs him in Folkstyle.

I dont want to put much effort into this (watching UFC & NCAAF), but You gave me an easy task. I'll choose any of the freestylers who railroaded Heil this summer vs him in Folkstyle.

And to that I'll say is the exception, not the rule.

Feel free to add your findings here

http://board.themat.com/index.php?/topic/15911-freestyle-vs-folkstyle-results/

Edited by BigTenFanboy