BigTenFanboy

Dayton Fix... to redshirt or not the redshirt?

I don't give a damn what "rules the rest of the world hammered out" regarding wrestling. To me FS is nothing but takedowns. It's half a sport, at best, like Sumo. It's boring as hell to watch for non-wrestlers (unlike Sumo), and also pretty boring for people who prefer folk (again..unlike SUMO). The rules are ridiculous, especially that stupid ass "roll" for NF points. I guarantee...if the NCAA adopted FS rules in lieu of folk, college wrestling would be dead within 10 years in the USA. Nobody would want to go to the matches and definitely nobody would want to watch it on TV. Well, nobody but the FS sunshine pumpers.

And regarding Heil getting embarrassed by FS guys...who gives a ****? He'd embarrass them in a FOLK match. Crowing about Heil losing to FS guys is like bragging that Joe Montana never hit a homerun.

Edited by TobusRex

I don't give a damn what "rules the rest of the world hammered out" regarding wrestling. To me FS is nothing but takedowns. It's half a sport, at best, like Sumo. It's boring as hell to watch for non-wrestlers (unlike Sumo), and also pretty boring for people who prefer folk (again..unlike SUMO). The rules are ridiculous, especially that stupid ass "roll" for NF points. I guarantee...if the NCAA adopted FS rules in lieu of folk, college wrestling would be dead within 10 years in the USA. Nobody would want to go to the matches and definitely nobody would want to watch it on TV. Well, nobody but the FS sunshine pumpers.

And regarding Heil getting embarrassed by FS guys...who gives a ****? He'd embarrass them in a FOLK match. Crowing about Heil losing to FS guys is like bragging that Joe Montana never hit a homerun.

Meh, and folk style is about diving through legs and stall riding on top. The recent rule changes have at least negated the run to the edge of the mat, but folk style is just a local style for folks like you to say "oh we are superior to the rest of the world". Typical nationalism arrogance.  The true irony is you disrespect our two best wrestlers in saying this. I am sure you have heard this from me before, but...... American wrestling fans are mostly stupid. 

Edited by sgallan

Meh, and folk style is about diving through legs and stall riding on top. The recent rule changes have at least negated the run to the edge of the mat, but folk style is just a local style for folks like you to say "oh we are superior to the rest of the world". Typical nationalism arrogance.  The true irony is you disrespect our two best wrestlers in saying this. I am sure you have heard this from me before, but...... American wrestling fans are mostly stupid.

And football is an American style of Rugby. American football fans are mostly stupid.

What a dumb post.

Where is anyone saying they like folkstyle because it allows America to be good?  He simply said he likes mat wrestling.  Do you hate America because you like neutral wrestling?  What a stupid premise.  

Folksyle is no more about national arrogance than Turkish belt wrestling or Sumo or Sambo or Brazilian Jiu-jitsu.  It's simply a local style that has zero relevance outside of its locality.  It exists for the same reason the other styles I mentioned exist, because it's what people did there long before Olympic Freestyle wrestling became prominent.  

We hang onto Folkstyle because of inertia and laziness about making a change.  We don't hang onto a style nobody else does that isn't contested past a national level so we can claim we're better than everyone else.  That makes no sense.

Is there anyone you don't argue with on this forum?  I really don't think you have ever posted twice in a thread without a fight ensuing.

First off Im not the one who is on an American Wrestling discussion board insulting American wrestling fans. So lets pose this question towards you since you feel like im trying to start some sort of fight.

Do you think American wrestling fans are mostly stupid for liking Folkstyle over Freestyle?

Do you think American Football fans are mostly stupid for liking American Football over Rugby?

Am I not allowed to disagree with things people write on a discussion board?

First off Im not the one who is on an American Wrestling discussion board insulting American wrestling fans. So lets pose this question towards you since you feel like im trying to start some sort of fight.

Do you think American wrestling fans are mostly stupid for liking Folkstyle over Freestyle?

Do you think American Football fans are mostly stupid for liking American Football over Rugby?

You're allowed to do whatever you want.  If you see this board as an outlet to argue with people go ahead.  

But if it's not on purpose, then when you end up in fights with every person on the board, at some point you have to wonder if maybe you're the problem.  

You're allowed to do whatever you want.  If you see this board as an outlet to argue with people go ahead.  

But if it's not on purpose, then when you end up in fights with every person on the board, at some point you have to wonder if maybe you're the problem.

I don't end up arguing with everyone. On this board if you disagree with someone you pretty much get lashed out at. You yourself just told sgallen that his post was stupid. Does that mean you're trying to fight with him? I enjoy discussing/debating wrestling. I've often said let's agree to disagree. If me disagreeing with what someone said is the problem, well then I fully accept being a problem.

I don't end up arguing with everyone. On this board if you disagree with someone you pretty much get lashed out at. You yourself just told sgallen that his post was stupid. Does that mean you're trying to fight with him? I enjoy discussing/debating wrestling. I've often said let's agree to disagree. If me disagreeing with what someone said is the problem, well then I fully accept being a problem.

You don't talk wrestling.  You argue semantics about wrestling discussions and then never let the arguments drop, even across multiple threads.  You are the board leader in trying to score argument points.  You are welcome to argue with me about this one too.  I will let it go after you get the last word since neither of us are going to agree about anything no matter how many times we post.

You don't talk wrestling.  You argue semantics about wrestling discussions and then never let the arguments drop, even across multiple threads.  You are the board leader in trying to score argument points.  You are welcome to argue with me about this one too.  I will let it go after you get the last word since neither of us are going to agree about anything no matter how many times we post.

I do talk wrestling and yes semantics is very important when trying to get a point across in written word otherwise said point is misunderstood. I use parallel examples so show consistency and display logic. You and I will never agree on anything? That's funny because earlier in this very thread you and I agreed the stupidity of sgallen's description of folk. Anyways I've never once disrespected or insulted you on these boards. I really don't see why you're coming at me when quite frankly I've agreed with many of your posts in the past.

I didn't disrespect our "2 best wrestlers"...I disrespected the halfass sport of FS wrestling. FS is the closest thing to a "no contact" sport that wrestling has to offer.

Actually they'd be mostly stupid for liking American Football over Soccer based on your analogy.

The NCAA D1 College National Championship is by far the best overall wrestling event in our nation.  Therefore like many other American centrist sports/activities we will continue to celebrate it.  Tiring debate.

Actually they'd be mostly stupid for liking American Football over Soccer based on your analogy.

The NCAA D1 College National Championship is by far the best overall wrestling event in our nation.  Therefore like many other American centrist sports/activities we will continue to celebrate it.  Tiring debate.

There are minor elements from which American Football has taken from soccer, but the primary sport that American Football evolved from is Rugby. Never the less, I would argue that the NCAA Championships is the best wrestling event not just in our nation, but in the world. I may not have the best competitors in the world, but its production value and delivery and presentation is far better than what we see at the Olympics and World Championships.