• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 BigTimeFan

BigTimeFan

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,582 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:21 AM

Fix just beat Tomasello 2x. The first was close second a little less close. I just re-watch Gilman vs Tomasello and that was a really close match. Gilman had more difficulty scoring on Nato than Fix did but Nato got to Fix's legs a lot more easily. Fix is a more aggressive and dynamic wrestler with more in his arsenal than Gildman (already!). I think it's easy to see Fix beating Gilman today. Interested in what others think.

• Cletus_Tucker likes this

#2 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,615 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:43 AM

Easy? Absolutely not. Possible? Sure.

Fix didn’t even beat Nato easily. No way is he even a favorite against our senior world silver medalist (who beat Nato too). It is not easy to see Fix winning. I don’t even think it’s easy to see Fix beating Nato again.

#3 LJB

LJB

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:59 AM

Fix is dynamic enough to score on multiple attacks... that is what makes him so great... most have a particular style and that is just it... you can either deal with it or not... fix showed that you can't bully him... it just doesn't work... gillman is a bullying type of wrestler... fix can obviously deal with it... gillman will get to fix's leg just like NATO did, but, one point scores are not enough to beat fix... 

i don't know if fix beats gillman 2 out of 3 tomorrow, but, it is fair to say that fix is our leading candidate for 2020... of course assuming that his style is not ruined by dicking around with collegiate wrestling...

#4 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,086 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 02:02 AM

Fix didn’t even beat Nato easily. No way is he even a favorite against our senior world silver medalist (who beat Nato too). It is not easy to see Fix winning. I don’t even think it’s easy to see Fix beating Nato again.

Saying he may not beat Gilman yet is legit, he could but Gilman would be the favorite. Saying he won't beat NATO is silly..... he won so he wont beat him again. LOL

Edited by sgallan, 09 October 2017 - 02:03 AM.

#5 spladle08

spladle08

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 499 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 02:26 AM

I say coinflip with Gillman if they wrestled today. Nato just isn't super offensive and was able to get to attacks... also in an interview he (Fix) referenced how Logie was able to continually get to his legs, which leads me to think thatll be the place he will need to improve the most (defense) at the senior level for world/Olympic aspirations, his offense however immediately puts him near the top of our ladder.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Edited by spladle08, 09 October 2017 - 02:29 AM.

#6 mattchristensen112

mattchristensen112

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 04:35 AM

He was able to beat him easier the 2nd time. It is DEFINITELY possible he can beat Nato again. The question is, could Fix step in and stop Nato from winning NCAAs' this year?

#7 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,615 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 04:40 AM

Saying he may not beat Gilman yet is legit, he could but Gilman would be the favorite. Saying he won't beat NATO is silly..... he won so he wont beat him again. LOL

Silly? Learn to read before you call people anything.

I said it is not EASY to see Fix beating Nato again, let alone Gilman. Could he? Sure, no sht, since he just did. Is it a gimme, as the word east implies? Absolutely not.

I never said he would not beat either guy.

#8 LJB

LJB

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 04:41 AM

Fix beat NATO more convincingly than gillman did... beat him with legitimate freestyle acumen and several different TDs and turns... Gillman beat Nato on a last second backdoor scramble that was more about toughness than anything else...

#9 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,615 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 04:42 AM

He was able to beat him easier the 2nd time. It is DEFINITELY possible he can beat Nato again. The question is, could Fix step in and stop Nato from winning NCAAs' this year?

No sht it’s defintiely possible since he already did twice. My issue was with the word easy. It was not easy for him to beat Nato either time and I doubt it would be easy again. Easy implies overwhelming favorite. Fix easily won age group gold. He easily beat his guy in the finals. It is easy to see him winking another junior gold. Get it? He wouldn’t be an overwhelming favorite against Nato and especially not against Gilman at this point. Could he beat either guy? Sure.

Edited by wrestlingnerd, 09 October 2017 - 04:43 AM.

• Fishhook likes this

#10 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,615 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 04:46 AM

Fix beat NATO more convincingly than gillman did... beat him with legitimate freestyle acumen and several different TDs and turns... Gillman beat Nato on a last second backdoor scramble that was more about toughness than anything else...

Gilman has also wrestled Nato a million times and they are both intimately familiar why each other. It will always be close when those two wrestle. That doesn’t tell you much about how a latch with Fix would go when they wrestle for he first time ever. Also, Gilman has a brutal path at the trials. I doubt he was at 100% by the time he got to Nato. In Nato’s defense, maybe he wasn’t either, especially given the bigger weight cut.

#11 LJB

LJB

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 04:56 AM

my point was that gillman is a folk style wrestler that beat NATO with last second heroics... Fix beat NATO using actual freestyle skills... the same skills that NATO showed absolutely no knowledge of... Gillman falls far closer to the NATO side of things than to the Fix side of things... Gillman is going to beat you up physically then snatch a leg up and march you out of bounds... Fix just showed that you need more than that to beat him in the real styles of wrestling... he was not bullied and you need more than one point scores to beat him because he will take you down and he will turn you...

#12 LemonPie

LemonPie

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 05:12 AM

FIX

Anyone but Heil '18

http://contenttolosebythree.com

#13 treep2000

treep2000

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 728 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 05:46 AM

This is pretty straightforward in my opinion.  If wrestled today, it would be a match JUST LIKE what we saw in Fix/NaTo.  The margin of separation between Ramos, Gilman, and NaTo right now is razor thin in my opinion, and Fix cemented himself in this conversation, convincingly, yesterday.  

With that being said, I think it's probably 50/50 with Gilman right now (i.e. October, 2017).  By October 2018, different story.  

I see Fix as being a "transformational", once-a-generation type of wrestler to come along (given his current accomplishments, and potential trajectory).  Ironically enough, I feel we actually have three (3) of those types of wrestlers right now:

* Lower Weights:  Fix

* "Middle" Weights:  Mark Hall

* Upper Weights:  Kyle Snyder

These three guys could rewrite all of our history books, and make us redefine what "excellence" really means.

#14 cjc007

cjc007

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 819 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:44 AM

This is pretty straightforward in my opinion. If wrestled today, it would be a match JUST LIKE what we saw in Fix/NaTo. The margin of separation between Ramos, Gilman, and NaTo right now is razor thin in my opinion, and Fix cemented himself in this conversation, convincingly, yesterday.

With that being said, I think it's probably 50/50 with Gilman right now (i.e. October, 2017). By October 2018, different story.

I see Fix as being a "transformational", once-a-generation type of wrestler to come along (given his current accomplishments, and potential trajectory). Ironically enough, I feel we actually have three (3) of those types of wrestlers right now:
* Lower Weights: Fix
* "Middle" Weights: Mark Hall
* Upper Weights: Kyle Snyder

These three guys could rewrite all of our history books, and make us redefine what "excellence" really means.

Middle weights : Burroughs.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
  • airmail and Fishhook like this

#15 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:23 AM

This is pretty straightforward in my opinion.  If wrestled today, it would be a match JUST LIKE what we saw in Fix/NaTo.  The margin of separation between Ramos, Gilman, and NaTo right now is razor thin in my opinion, and Fix cemented himself in this conversation, convincingly, yesterday.  

With that being said, I think it's probably 50/50 with Gilman right now (i.e. October, 2017).  By October 2018, different story.  

I see Fix as being a "transformational", once-a-generation type of wrestler to come along (given his current accomplishments, and potential trajectory).  Ironically enough, I feel we actually have three (3) of those types of wrestlers right now:
* Lower Weights:  Fix
* "Middle" Weights:  Mark Hall
* Upper Weights:  Kyle Snyder

Let's not get ahead of ourselves when it comes Mark Hall. It's not 100% guaranteed that he will win NCAAs this year let alone an Olympic Gold.

#16 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:57 AM

^This, exactly.  Fix is 2-0 against NaTo and is easily the favorite the next time they wrestle.  Also, Fix is the younger of the two wrestlers, is just getting into a college room led by the greatest freestyle wrestler in american history (who happens to have been a lightweight), and thus is very likely to get much better between now and their next meeting. 

Just think about the improvement Kyle Snyder made between the beginning of his true freshman year and the summer afterwards..I'm not saying Fix will do exactly the same thing, but he might do something close!  

#17 Perry

Perry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,317 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:20 AM

I think it's 51/49 right now in favor of Fix. In 1-2 years I think it will be 70/30 Fix. The 30 was for Spencer Lee btw, not Gilman (he will be out of the conversation).

#18 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 10,377 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:51 AM

Fix is better than Gilman imo. It is only a matter of time until he takes that spot. 

I have set aside funds to have six Green Bay Packers be my pall bearers, that way they can let me down one final time. 

#19 wrestlingphish

wrestlingphish

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:24 AM

I don't think Fix is 'just getting into a college room'. He's been in that room for awhile and has been under Smith's tutelage already (much like many top prospects these days).

#20 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:43 AM

I don't think Fix is 'just getting into a college room'. He's been in that room for awhile and has been under Smith's tutelage already (much like many top prospects these days).

Really?  When did he start practicing with OSU?  I thought it is a violation for a HS athlete to practice with NCAA teams.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users