Sign in to follow this  
BigTimeFan

Fix vs Gilman today

ugh... 

if you concede that he could then he has proven to you he can...

whether or not he does is another matter entirely, but, he damn sure has proven he has the capabilities of beating gillman...

NATO is inferior to gillman in the same way sadulaeuv is inferior to snyder...  

so, you can not come up with one example... gotcha... thanks

he did extremely well with just hard hand fighting... did it better than every lightweight we have had since cujedo... i was cheering for him...  but, he is not a what anyone would call a freestyle wrestler...

Well I will for him. First match vs Cruz. First minute Cruz on a shot Gilman great freestyle defense then transitioned to his offense, was in danger of giving up a tilt, realized it, wrestled smart and eventually got a take down. Take down number two classic in on the leg and finish quickly to make it 4-0. Anyways, just asinine to say he didn't use any freestyle techniques but happened to win the trials and finish second in the world.

Where do people come up with some of these ideas that have been on this board is beyond me. Things like you're not at a disadvantage even though you've wrestled six matches and you're facing a fresh wrestler in the finals, Kyle Snyder and Steven Neal are both heavyweights so there's no size difference between them, etc.

Well I will for him. First match vs Cruz. First minute Cruz on a shot Gilman great freestyle defense then transitioned to his offense, was in danger of giving up a tilt, realized it, wrestled smart and eventually got a take down. Take down number two classic in on the leg and finish quickly to make it 4-0. Anyways, just asinine to say he didn't use any freestyle techniques but happened to win the trials and finish second in the world.

Where do people come up with some of these ideas that have been on this board is beyond me. Things like you're not at a disadvantage even though you've wrestled six matches and you're facing a fresh wrestler in the finals, Kyle Snyder and Steven Neal are both heavyweights so there's no size difference between them, etc.

I never said there was no size difference between Snyder vs Neal. I said it's a fair question to ask how an NCAA match between would go because they're both NCAA heavyweights. Big big difference. Edited by BigTenFanboy

Well a couple of days ago, I thought Fix beating NaTo, was possible but not probable. However, now that Fix has beaten NaTo, I have to think that Fix could possibly beat Gilman, but again I would have to say not probable. The reason being that Gilman has to be a little bit more experienced and stronger. But I would readily acknowledge that they have to be very close. But I will also note the fact that we seem to be in the midst of a youth movement starting with the Boy King, so really who knows what to think anymore.

so, solid defense is now a freestyle technique?

just because he didn't do some silly funk roll to capture an ankle is now freestyle technique?

did gilman attempt a turn on cruz after securing the takedown?

not so much... why?

was it because he didn't have one (hasn't shown one yet)?

what was it?

he won the trials against a bunch of folk wrestlers because he is just better than them... he wrestled smart when he had to and dominated when he could... against guys who have never done anything on the international stage... ramos included...

he then went on a great run in worlds until he finally lost against a guy that was not top 20 until 3 months before the tourney...

gilman did way more winning a world silver than any NCAA champ... world is world... weak world or not...

but, be objective in what has transpired... 

previous to this weekend, no one could legitimately say much about what fix could or could not do against the best this country has at the next level... he just downed one of the best in 2 straight matches... one match could be considered a fluke... even 2-1 could leave room for some doubt... but 2-0 is definitive... and considering how those matches actually played out, well, it is easy to say that in a match in the real styles of wrestling, fix has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that he can beat anyone...

when russian coaches concede that they have nobody to contend it means something...

Well a couple of days ago, I thought Fix beating NaTo, was possible but not probable. However, now that Fix has beaten NaTo, I have to think that Fix could possibly beat Gilman, but again I would have to say not probable. The reason being that Gilman has to be a little bit more experienced and stronger. But I would readily acknowledge that they have to be very close. But I will also note the fact that we seem to be in the midst of a youth movement starting with the Boy King, so really who knows what to think anymore.

It's amazing.  I'd put both Gilman and Gwiz as underdogs behind Fix and Steveson to make the 2020 team despite being the defending world silver and bronze medalists.  Then there's Mark Hall, who I don't consider the favorite yet, but could be the guy at 74 kg over Burroughs and Dake.  

Forgetting 2020... If the match were wrestled today, I'd still take Fix over Gilman.  Gilman had a great performance at worlds, but we all know it was an emptied out weight (much like Stieber's gold in 2016).  Gilman is beatable, and I think Fix can do it.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

so, solid defense is now a freestyle technique?

just because he didn't do some silly funk roll to capture an ankle is now freestyle technique?

did gilman attempt a turn on cruz after securing the takedown?

not so much... why?

was it because he didn't have one (hasn't shown one yet)?

what was it?

he won the trials against a bunch of folk wrestlers because he is just better than them... he wrestled smart when he had to and dominated when he could... against guys who have never done anything on the international stage... ramos included...

he then went on a great run in worlds until he finally lost against a guy that was not top 20 until 3 months before the tourney...

gilman did way more winning a world silver than any NCAA champ... world is world... weak world or not...

but, be objective in what has transpired...

previous to this weekend, no one could legitimately say much about what fix could or could not do against the best this country has at the next level... he just downed one of the best in 2 straight matches... one match could be considered a fluke... even 2-1 could leave room for some doubt... but 2-0 is definitive... and considering how those matches actually played out, well, it is easy to say that in a match in the real styles of wrestling, fix has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that he can beat anyone...

when russian coaches concede that they have nobody to contend it means something...

Tell us how you really feel about folk? LOL

You certainly are passionate about Freestyle, that's for sure!

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Tell us how you really feel about folk? LOL

You certainly are passionate about Freestyle, that's for sure!

i prefer greco over free any day of the week and twice on sundays, but, i know that is a lost cause on most...

Billyhoyle, I don't see Mark Hall dropping down to 74. I see him slotting in at 79.

As for the Gwiz vs Gable, I would go with the same argument I made above with Gilman and Fix. But again I would have to say that if they were to wrestle it must be very close. I think that many are of the opinion that Gwiz is the present, and Gable is the future, and I'm one of them. I do think though that Gwiz holds down the spot for 2018.

What's kind of crazy, is a few years ago, we were all complaining that we're not winning enough medals at the World and Olympics, now it's like, if you make a World/Olympic team you better medal because you might not get another chance, Lol.

Billyhoyle, I don't see Mark Hall dropping down to 74. I see him slotting in at 79.

As for the Gwiz vs Gable, I would go with the same argument I made above with Gilman and Fix. But again I would have to say that if they were to wrestle it must be very close. I think that many are of the opinion that Gwiz is the present, and Gable is the future, and I'm one of them. I do think though that Gwiz holds down the spot for 2018.

What's kind of crazy, is a few years ago, we were all complaining that we're not winning enough medals at the World and Olympics, now it's like, if you make a World/Olympic team you better medal because you might not get another chance, Lol.

My Mark Hall/Gable posts were about 2020.  I agree that for 2018 Hall is 79 and Gable probably won't be on the team.  My bad if I was a bit confusing with my wording.   And yes, it is amazing how far the system has come over the past couple years.  Zeke, Zaddick, and all the local coaches who helped develop these kids deserve a ton of credit.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

I think it's easy to see Fix beating Gilman today. Interested in what others think.

Easy indeed.  No difficulty in seeing that at all.   I have to strain a little to see Gilman winning, but that's certainly within view as well.    Fix is just such a natural out there.   He's only getting better and at a very quick rate.    

What does he do in 2020 though? He wouldn’t make the team at 74 either way now, so he has to go up.

I have no idea what anyone will do 3 plus years from today. If I had to guess, since he said he's never going back to 74Kg then my guess is 79Kg.

Edited by TBar1977

Guys guys guys.. Just like LJB said, you guys are hyping up and exaggerating how impressive Gilman's run to a world silver medal was.

I mean he only definitely beat a bunch of NCAA champs along the way, but they're not "real" wrestlers.. they're folk wrestlers.. you know the fake kind..

as for worlds.. everyone he wrestled.. they were weak wrestlers.. even the guy he lost to in the World Championship final was weak.. the whole world was weak.

Yes the very very best 57k wrestlers on the entire planet Earth were weak. If only 100 years ago the powers that be decided that we wrestle Free and not Folk then Gilman would actually be a real wrestler.. not one of those folk fakers. The rest of the world does Free. No one else in the world does Folk so yea boo to Folk.

Kinda like Football. The rest of the world plays REAL Futbol. Our Football is fake. 

YAY!! For Futbol!!!

Booo!! For Football!!!

Come on guys! How you can not see this?? 

(sarcasm)

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Guys guys guys.. Just like LJB said, you guys are hyping up and exaggerating how impressive Gilman's run to a world silver medal was.

I mean he only definitely beat a bunch of NCAA champs along the way, but they're not "real" wrestlers.. they're folk wrestlers.. you know the fake kind..

as for worlds.. everyone he wrestled.. they were weak wrestlers.. even the guy he lost to in the World Championship final was weak.. the whole world was weak.

Yes the very very best 57k wrestlers on the entire planet Earth were weak. If only 100 years ago the powers that be decided that we wrestle Free and not Folk then Gilman would actually be a real wrestler.. not one of those folk fakers. The rest of the world does Free. No one else in the world does Folk so yea boo to Folk.

Kinda like Football. The rest of the world plays REAL Futbol. Our Football is fake.

YAY!! For Futbol!!!

Booo!! For Football!!!

Come on guys! How you can not see this??

(sarcasm)

It was the best permormance by anyone at the weight since Cejudo, but the weight was obviously emptied out. That's to be expected some anyway bc it's the year after the Olympics, but it happened moreso at 57 because people didn't want to cut the weight and 61 is right there.

It was the best permormance by anyone at the weight since Cejudo, but the weight was obviously emptied out. That's to be expected some anyway bc it's the year after the Olympics, but it happened moreso at 57 because people didn't want to cut the weight and 61 is right there.

That's cuz they guys that cleared out grew too old and were no longer in their prime!

age of gold medalist at Rio- 25, 25, 21, 20, 20, and 26

age of gold medalist in Paris- 23, 26, 25, 25, 29, 21, and 23

this is a young man's game...

bigten, you are not very good at this... 

Well, it may not matter that 57, had cleared out for Paris, the reason being is that we are going to go to a new weigh in procedure, and with that, some of the established Big guns from the old 57, are probably going to stay away from this weight until 2020. Meaning that Gilman, Fix or maybe even Lee, might have a good shot at a medal or title here in 2018 and 19. More so in 2019, I think because that 2 kilo 2nd day allowance will no longer be allowed.

So basically I think the UWW, has changed the landscape in this weight class as well as a few others giving wrestlers some options until Tokyo.

Edited by de4856