• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#41 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,615 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:23 PM

during gillman's run this summer, what actual freestyle technique did he show you?

Is enough to win the trials and beat everyone but one guy at the worlds an adequate enough answer for you? Did he not score an offensive point or defend against world-class freestyle attacks in the process? Or was I in sgallan-land, high as a kite, imagining things then?

I get that Gilman doesn’t exactly wrestle a pretty European style, but saying the second best it in the world has no freestyle technique is a bit much, no?

#42 LemonPie

LemonPie

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:27 PM

Just want to point out that Gilman did not beat everyone but one guy at world's.

There were many guys he didn't wrestle, but would lose to in my fantasy matchups.

"Living the Dream" purchased that bracket.
USA Wrestling is very corrupt.

Edited by LemonPie, 09 October 2017 - 01:31 PM.

Anyone but Heil '18

http://contenttolosebythree.com

#43 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,615 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:30 PM

fact of the matter is, Fix is bar none the best lightweight international prospect we have in this country... he has multiple attacks... never stops wreslting... and one of the nastiest gut techniques on this planet...

Holy sht!!! An LJB post I can partially agree with???? I truly must be in sgallan-land now.

I do agree with this!!

Unfortunately? The title of the thread does include the word TODAY in it, so the relevance can be questioned. Nevertheless, indeed, Fix is the best freestyle prospect at 57 kg in the whole land. True that.

Edited by wrestlingnerd, 09 October 2017 - 01:32 PM.

#44 LJB

LJB

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:31 PM

Is enough to win the trials and beat everyone but one guy at the worlds an adequate enough answer for you? Did he not score an offensive point or defend against world-class freestyle attacks in the process? Or was I in sgallan-land, high as a kite, imagining things then?

I get that Gilman doesn’t exactly wrestle a pretty European style, but saying the second best it in the world has no freestyle technique is a bit much, no?

so, you can not come up with one example... gotcha... thanks

he did extremely well with just hard hand fighting... did it better than every lightweight we have had since cujedo... i was cheering for him...  but, he is not a what anyone would call a freestyle wrestler...

#45 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 10,376 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:31 PM

that was basically his entire efefctiveness... hard hand fighting, stingy defense, and snatching up that leg and marching lesser opponents out of bounds...

what happened when he couldn't bully takahashi around?
nothing happened... he had no other go to... no other weapons...

and i like gillman... i like hard tough wrestling... i wish gillman had turned to greco... he would been perfect for it...

fact of the matter is, Fix is bar none the best lightweight international prospect we have in this country... he has multiple attacks... never stops wreslting... and one of the nastiest gut techniques on this planet...

Spot on assessment.

I have set aside funds to have six Green Bay Packers be my pall bearers, that way they can let me down one final time. 

#46 LJB

LJB

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:33 PM

Holy sht!!! An LJB post I can partially agree with???? I truly just be in shaman-land now.

I do agree with this!!

Unfortunately? The title of the thread does include the word TODAY in it, so the relevance can be questioned. Nevertheless, indeed, Fix is the best freestyle prospect at 57 kg in the whole land. True that.

today, fix can beat gillman... everyone can see that... he proved he can by beating NATO twice yesterday...

but, he could just as easily lose...

#47 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,615 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:37 PM

He didn’t prove he could beat Gilman but I wouldn’t begrudge anyone for predicting it. He only proved he could beat Nato. I’m not saying that to be an ass, either. I think Gilman is a better defensive wrestler than Nato and a cleaner finisher, therefore a tougher matchup for Fix. I would pick Gilman today (Fix in the not too distant future) because I think he has greater strengths, albeit fewer total strengths. But I’d be nervous and limit any bet to four digits.

#48 LJB

LJB

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:43 PM

saying he didn't prove he could do it is just being argumentative... he proved he can wrestle with the top folk wrestlers in this country... he proved he has vastly superior technique than the best folk wrestlers in this country... he proved he can not be bullied and is totally fearless... he most definitely proved he could beat gillman...

but, he could also lose...

#49 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,615 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:50 PM

I can never sign up for the argument that someone proved he could beat a certain guy by beating another. That isn’t sound thinking on any planet other than sgalllan-land. I am not saying Fix couldn’t beat Gilman. I’m just saying he didn’t prove it, and saying so isn’t being argumentative. Did Kyle Dake prove he could beat JB when he beat Tsargush? I suppose ultimately he may have, although it took him half a dozen tries or where’ve it was. Did Marable prove he could beat James Green by beating JB, a much greater wrestler? The overwhelming temptation is to say yes, but in truth, he did not. There are many other such examples, especially when you go outside the US, but I’ll limit it to just these two to make my point. You have to actually do it to actuallly prove it.
  • AllISeeIsBronze likes this

#50 LJB

LJB

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 02:00 PM

nah... he proved he definitely has the capabilities of beating gillman... has the strength, tehcnique, and will not be bullied... that is pretty much the recipe...

whether or not he does will ultimately not be answered until they actually wrestle, but, it is ridiculous to say he there is no way he could beat gillman...

#51 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,615 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 02:16 PM

Nobody said there is no way he could beat Gilman. Zero people. He just hasn’t literally proven it by beating someone inferior to Gilman. You cannot prove you can do something until you actually do it. It’s tautological.
  • AllISeeIsBronze likes this

#52 LJB

LJB

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 02:20 PM

ugh... 

if you concede that he could then he has proven to you he can...

whether or not he does is another matter entirely, but, he damn sure has proven he has the capabilities of beating gillman...

NATO is inferior to gillman in the same way sadulaeuv is inferior to snyder...  

#53 ConnorsDad

ConnorsDad

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 03:17 PM

so, you can not come up with one example... gotcha... thanks

he did extremely well with just hard hand fighting... did it better than every lightweight we have had since cujedo... i was cheering for him...  but, he is not a what anyone would call a freestyle wrestler...

Well I will for him. First match vs Cruz. First minute Cruz on a shot Gilman great freestyle defense then transitioned to his offense, was in danger of giving up a tilt, realized it, wrestled smart and eventually got a take down. Take down number two classic in on the leg and finish quickly to make it 4-0. Anyways, just asinine to say he didn't use any freestyle techniques but happened to win the trials and finish second in the world.

Where do people come up with some of these ideas that have been on this board is beyond me. Things like you're not at a disadvantage even though you've wrestled six matches and you're facing a fresh wrestler in the finals, Kyle Snyder and Steven Neal are both heavyweights so there's no size difference between them, etc.

#54 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 03:21 PM

Well I will for him. First match vs Cruz. First minute Cruz on a shot Gilman great freestyle defense then transitioned to his offense, was in danger of giving up a tilt, realized it, wrestled smart and eventually got a take down. Take down number two classic in on the leg and finish quickly to make it 4-0. Anyways, just asinine to say he didn't use any freestyle techniques but happened to win the trials and finish second in the world.
Where do people come up with some of these ideas that have been on this board is beyond me. Things like you're not at a disadvantage even though you've wrestled six matches and you're facing a fresh wrestler in the finals, Kyle Snyder and Steven Neal are both heavyweights so there's no size difference between them, etc.

I never said there was no size difference between Snyder vs Neal. I said it's a fair question to ask how an NCAA match between would go because they're both NCAA heavyweights. Big big difference.

Edited by BigTenFanboy, 09 October 2017 - 03:25 PM.

#55 de4856

de4856

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 03:27 PM

Well a couple of days ago, I thought Fix beating NaTo, was possible but not probable. However, now that Fix has beaten NaTo, I have to think that Fix could possibly beat Gilman, but again I would have to say not probable. The reason being that Gilman has to be a little bit more experienced and stronger. But I would readily acknowledge that they have to be very close. But I will also note the fact that we seem to be in the midst of a youth movement starting with the Boy King, so really who knows what to think anymore.

#56 LJB

LJB

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 03:44 PM

so, solid defense is now a freestyle technique?

just because he didn't do some silly funk roll to capture an ankle is now freestyle technique?

did gilman attempt a turn on cruz after securing the takedown?

not so much... why?

was it because he didn't have one (hasn't shown one yet)?

what was it?

he won the trials against a bunch of folk wrestlers because he is just better than them... he wrestled smart when he had to and dominated when he could... against guys who have never done anything on the international stage... ramos included...

he then went on a great run in worlds until he finally lost against a guy that was not top 20 until 3 months before the tourney...

gilman did way more winning a world silver than any NCAA champ... world is world... weak world or not...

but, be objective in what has transpired... 

previous to this weekend, no one could legitimately say much about what fix could or could not do against the best this country has at the next level... he just downed one of the best in 2 straight matches... one match could be considered a fluke... even 2-1 could leave room for some doubt... but 2-0 is definitive... and considering how those matches actually played out, well, it is easy to say that in a match in the real styles of wrestling, fix has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that he can beat anyone...

when russian coaches concede that they have nobody to contend it means something...

#57 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 03:45 PM

Well a couple of days ago, I thought Fix beating NaTo, was possible but not probable. However, now that Fix has beaten NaTo, I have to think that Fix could possibly beat Gilman, but again I would have to say not probable. The reason being that Gilman has to be a little bit more experienced and stronger. But I would readily acknowledge that they have to be very close. But I will also note the fact that we seem to be in the midst of a youth movement starting with the Boy King, so really who knows what to think anymore.

It's amazing.  I'd put both Gilman and Gwiz as underdogs behind Fix and Steveson to make the 2020 team despite being the defending world silver and bronze medalists.  Then there's Mark Hall, who I don't consider the favorite yet, but could be the guy at 74 kg over Burroughs and Dake.  

Forgetting 2020... If the match were wrestled today, I'd still take Fix over Gilman.  Gilman had a great performance at worlds, but we all know it was an emptied out weight (much like Stieber's gold in 2016).  Gilman is beatable, and I think Fix can do it.  

Edited by Billyhoyle, 09 October 2017 - 03:49 PM.

• Cletus_Tucker likes this

#58 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 03:50 PM

so, solid defense is now a freestyle technique?
just because he didn't do some silly funk roll to capture an ankle is now freestyle technique?
did gilman attempt a turn on cruz after securing the takedown?
not so much... why?
was it because he didn't have one (hasn't shown one yet)?
what was it?

he won the trials against a bunch of folk wrestlers because he is just better than them... he wrestled smart when he had to and dominated when he could... against guys who have never done anything on the international stage... ramos included...

he then went on a great run in worlds until he finally lost against a guy that was not top 20 until 3 months before the tourney...

gilman did way more winning a world silver than any NCAA champ... world is world... weak world or not...

but, be objective in what has transpired...

previous to this weekend, no one could legitimately say much about what fix could or could not do against the best this country has at the next level... he just downed one of the best in 2 straight matches... one match could be considered a fluke... even 2-1 could leave room for some doubt... but 2-0 is definitive... and considering how those matches actually played out, well, it is easy to say that in a match in the real styles of wrestling, fix has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that he can beat anyone...

when russian coaches concede that they have nobody to contend it means something...

Tell us how you really feel about folk? LOL

You certainly are passionate about Freestyle, that's for sure!

Edited by BigTenFanboy, 09 October 2017 - 03:53 PM.

#59 LJB

LJB

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 03:54 PM

i would say my feelings about the stall fest style are well documented...

#60 LJB

LJB

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 04:15 PM

Tell us how you really feel about folk? LOL

You certainly are passionate about Freestyle, that's for sure!

i prefer greco over free any day of the week and twice on sundays, but, i know that is a lost cause on most...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users