• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#61 de4856

de4856

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 05:11 PM

Billyhoyle, I don't see Mark Hall dropping down to 74. I see him slotting in at 79.
As for the Gwiz vs Gable, I would go with the same argument I made above with Gilman and Fix. But again I would have to say that if they were to wrestle it must be very close. I think that many are of the opinion that Gwiz is the present, and Gable is the future, and I'm one of them. I do think though that Gwiz holds down the spot for 2018.
What's kind of crazy, is a few years ago, we were all complaining that we're not winning enough medals at the World and Olympics, now it's like, if you make a World/Olympic team you better medal because you might not get another chance, Lol.

#62 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 05:59 PM

Billyhoyle, I don't see Mark Hall dropping down to 74. I see him slotting in at 79.
As for the Gwiz vs Gable, I would go with the same argument I made above with Gilman and Fix. But again I would have to say that if they were to wrestle it must be very close. I think that many are of the opinion that Gwiz is the present, and Gable is the future, and I'm one of them. I do think though that Gwiz holds down the spot for 2018.
What's kind of crazy, is a few years ago, we were all complaining that we're not winning enough medals at the World and Olympics, now it's like, if you make a World/Olympic team you better medal because you might not get another chance, Lol.

My Mark Hall/Gable posts were about 2020.  I agree that for 2018 Hall is 79 and Gable probably won't be on the team.  My bad if I was a bit confusing with my wording.   And yes, it is amazing how far the system has come over the past couple years.  Zeke, Zaddick, and all the local coaches who helped develop these kids deserve a ton of credit.  

Edited by Billyhoyle, 09 October 2017 - 05:59 PM.

• Peso likes this

#63 Cletus_Tucker

Cletus_Tucker

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:26 PM

I think it's easy to see Fix beating Gilman today. Interested in what others think.

Easy indeed.  No difficulty in seeing that at all.   I have to strain a little to see Gilman winning, but that's certainly within view as well.    Fix is just such a natural out there.   He's only getting better and at a very quick rate.    

#64 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 10,376 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:27 AM

That squares up with Mark's own words that he is not going back to 74Kg. Good observation.

I have set aside funds to have six Green Bay Packers be my pall bearers, that way they can let me down one final time. 

#65 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,251 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 01:16 AM

That squares up with Mark's own words that he is not going back to 74Kg. Good observation.

What does he do in 2020 though? He wouldn’t make the team at 74 either way now, so he has to go up.

#66 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 10,376 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 01:42 AM

What does he do in 2020 though? He wouldn’t make the team at 74 either way now, so he has to go up.

I have no idea what anyone will do 3 plus years from today. If I had to guess, since he said he's never going back to 74Kg then my guess is 79Kg.

Edited by TBar1977, 10 October 2017 - 01:43 AM.

I have set aside funds to have six Green Bay Packers be my pall bearers, that way they can let me down one final time. 

#67 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 02:29 AM

he won the trials against a bunch of folk wrestlers because he is just better than them... he wrestled smart when he had to and dominated when he could... against guys who have never done anything on the international stage... ramos included...

he then went on a great run in worlds until he finally lost against a guy that was not top 20 until 3 months before the tourney...

gilman did way more winning a world silver than any NCAA champ... world is world... weak world or not...

Guys guys guys.. Just like LJB said, you guys are hyping up and exaggerating how impressive Gilman's run to a world silver medal was.

I mean he only definitely beat a bunch of NCAA champs along the way, but they're not "real" wrestlers.. they're folk wrestlers.. you know the fake kind..

as for worlds.. everyone he wrestled.. they were weak wrestlers.. even the guy he lost to in the World Championship final was weak.. the whole world was weak.

Yes the very very best 57k wrestlers on the entire planet Earth were weak. If only 100 years ago the powers that be decided that we wrestle Free and not Folk then Gilman would actually be a real wrestler.. not one of those folk fakers. The rest of the world does Free. No one else in the world does Folk so yea boo to Folk.

Kinda like Football. The rest of the world plays REAL Futbol. Our Football is fake. 

YAY!! For Futbol!!!

Booo!! For Football!!!

Come on guys! How you can not see this?? 

(sarcasm)

Edited by BigTenFanboy, 10 October 2017 - 02:30 AM.

• treep2000 and Peso like this

#68 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 04:31 AM

Guys guys guys.. Just like LJB said, you guys are hyping up and exaggerating how impressive Gilman's run to a world silver medal was.

I mean he only definitely beat a bunch of NCAA champs along the way, but they're not "real" wrestlers.. they're folk wrestlers.. you know the fake kind..
as for worlds.. everyone he wrestled.. they were weak wrestlers.. even the guy he lost to in the World Championship final was weak.. the whole world was weak.
Yes the very very best 57k wrestlers on the entire planet Earth were weak. If only 100 years ago the powers that be decided that we wrestle Free and not Folk then Gilman would actually be a real wrestler.. not one of those folk fakers. The rest of the world does Free. No one else in the world does Folk so yea boo to Folk.
Kinda like Football. The rest of the world plays REAL Futbol. Our Football is fake.
YAY!! For Futbol!!!
Booo!! For Football!!!

Come on guys! How you can not see this??

(sarcasm)

It was the best permormance by anyone at the weight since Cejudo, but the weight was obviously emptied out. That's to be expected some anyway bc it's the year after the Olympics, but it happened moreso at 57 because people didn't want to cut the weight and 61 is right there.

#69 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 04:44 AM

It was the best permormance by anyone at the weight since Cejudo, but the weight was obviously emptied out. That's to be expected some anyway bc it's the year after the Olympics, but it happened moreso at 57 because people didn't want to cut the weight and 61 is right there.

That's cuz they guys that cleared out grew too old and were no longer in their prime!

#70 Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 05:17 AM

Jap win, he has more experience  

• Perry likes this
The opinions and views expressed in my posts, are intended to promote Russian international styles wrestling and international wrestling in general. Please excuse misspellings, misunderstandings, or misinterpretations. I am doing my very best to communicate in English, but it is a work in progress. I speak several languages, but I am still learning context, culture, and local tradition. I love USA and I am doing my best to be a great ambassador. Thank you for understanding.

#71 LJB

LJB

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 05:25 AM

age of gold medalist at Rio- 25, 25, 21, 20, 20, and 26

age of gold medalist in Paris- 23, 26, 25, 25, 29, 21, and 23

this is a young man's game...

bigten, you are not very good at this... 

#72 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 05:40 AM

age of gold medalist at Rio- 25, 25, 21, 20, 20, and 26
age of gold medalist in Paris- 23, 26, 25, 25, 29, 21, and 23

this is a young man's game...

bigten, you are not very good at this...

I just said the younger guys took over because the older guys cleared out.

#73 LJB

LJB

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 06:07 AM

don't be so short sighted, that post was 2 separate thoughts... you are not very good at any of this...  

#74 de4856

de4856

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 06:08 AM

Well, it may not matter that 57, had cleared out for Paris, the reason being is that we are going to go to a new weigh in procedure, and with that, some of the established Big guns from the old 57, are probably going to stay away from this weight until 2020. Meaning that Gilman, Fix or maybe even Lee, might have a good shot at a medal or title here in 2018 and 19. More so in 2019, I think because that 2 kilo 2nd day allowance will no longer be allowed.
So basically I think the UWW, has changed the landscape in this weight class as well as a few others giving wrestlers some options until Tokyo.

Edited by de4856, 10 October 2017 - 11:57 AM.

#75 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 06:16 AM

don't be so short sighted, that post was 2 separate thoughts... you are not very good at any of this...  

It was? Oh.. my bad.

#76 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,615 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 06:31 AM

Well, it may not matter that 57, had cleared out for Paris, the reason being is that we are going to go to a new weigh in procedure, and with that, some of the established Big guns from the old 57, are probably going to stay away from this weight until 2020. Meaning that Gilman, Fix or maybe even Lee, might have a good shot at a medal or title here in 2018 and 19. More so in 2019, I think because that 2 kilo 2nd allowance will not longer allowed.
So basically I think the UWW, has changed the landscape in this weight class as well as a few others giving wrestlers some options until Tokyo.

Spot on. Very good points.

#77 Peso

Peso

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:29 PM

I think Fix has a shot to beat Gilman, but I wouldn't know how to handicap it.  I'll always bet on Fix, but you have to be thrilled to see an American do what Gilman and Gwiz have done after tough senior campaigns in folkstyle.  I know it's not on the same level as far as NCAA to World Medal, but it is still a great example of turning a negative into a positive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users