techniquemakesemweak

Best Matches Ever- On Video

The event was National Duals in Columbus during the early 2000's.  Ohio State's Keaton Anderson came from behind in two consecutive matches by hitting the same move twice off scrambles.  First match, he was losing 4-2 to Gray Maynard from MSU.  Late in the second period. Maynard hit a nice single and looked like he was about to score when Anderson hit a crazy mid-air leg pass, threw in boots and grabbed a cradle.  Suddenly the period's over and instead of 6-2 Maynard, it's 7-4 Anderson.  KA takes top in 3rd and rides Maynard into the ground for the win.

An hour later, Keaton Anderson is wrestling Shane Roller and the same thing happens.  He's down early and getting beat on his feet.  He hits the same mid-air leg pass--at a time when it was not a commonly used counter--and scores 5.  Wins the match.  

Another great match from the same dual took place between Tom Rowlands and Leonce Crump.  Crump was up late but Rowlands tied it up and it went into OT.  If Crump had lost a decision, Oklahoma would still have won the match and advanced to the finals.  But Rowlands got in on a shot and Crump fell on his back in despair.  Rowlands quickly rolled up his legs and the ref called a pin. Ohio State won the match...and faced Minny.  Who handled them.  Incidentally, Russ Hellickson blew out his knee during the celebration that ensued.

Crump was so pissed, he went out the next day and beat Iowa true frosh Steve Mocco.  The only other guys to ever accomplish this feat in college were Rowlands and Konrad.  Crump was very good but his career was hampered by injuries.  

I know Crump v Rowlands is on video somewhere but I can't find it.

Crump is now a well known pastor in Atlanta:  http://www.renovationchurch.com/about-us/leadership-about-us/board-leadership/pastor-leonce-crump-jr/

Edited by silver-medal

That match was legendary.

A legendary match of underachievers with injured lungs and an incompetent ref.  It deserves a vote for most entertaining but not "best" matches, ever on video. 

Edited by stp

If you had to show non-wrestlers the best wrestling matches ever what matches would you show?

How about a recent classic:

Snyder vs Sadulaev. Two defending Olympic and World champions battling for the 2017 World individual title (and probably p4p also) as well as the World team title.

Snyder wins and Coach Zadick wins a World team title in his first year as head coach.

My favorite is Smith versus Belaglasov. When all was said and done there was something like fourteen world championships between them. Belaglasov save for a tough tournament up a weight in 82 was utterly dominate from 81-88. The scramble, and action, at the end of the match was probably the best I have ever seen considering the credentials of the guys. 

That event, Pittsburgh Classic or something like that, was outstanding. I remember Valentin Jordanov arrivig a little late because of flight delays, suit up with no warmup, and then go right to the mat to absolutely thrash a young Zeke Jones. Another math form the same event I will never forget was Kenny Monday hitting his famous lat drop on some hapless up and coming Russian. Might’ve been the greatest single event of all time in terms of superstars and credentials.

That event, Pittsburgh Classic or something like that, was outstanding. I remember Valentin Jordanov arrivig a little late because of flight delays, suit up with no warmup, and then go right to the mat to absolutely thrash a young Zeke Jones. Another math form the same event I will never forget was Kenny Monday hitting his famous lat drop on some hapless up and coming Russian. Might’ve been the greatest single event of all time in terms of superstars and credentials.

For about a year and a half Monday was on his game, and so good. Beats Schultz easy twice, Varaev in a gutsy finals match after a solid games, and then horsed Fadzaev, who also had a win over Varaev in an entertaining bout at Russian nationals 89. It may have been a short peak but it was as good as it gets.