Attendance at NCAA tournament

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 russelscout

russelscout
  • Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:29 AM

I know we have some historians on here and guys who have been around for awhile. I have made the assumption that the tournament has grown substantially in the last few decades as far as attendance is concerned. Can anyone actually provide numbers to support this or even provide testimony of their own observations on the growth of the championships? I have not been around that long and have only been to one tournament.

#2 gimpeltf

gimpeltf

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,079 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:17 PM

Maybe DRD or Jason B can answer specifically but as one who has been to 44 of the last 47 I would offhand say it felt like it started to "sell out" around 20 years ago. Lately, as they moved mainly off campus it's been around 90-100k over 6 sessions. I think the lowest might have been Arizona in '76.

#3 teach

teach

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 562 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:21 AM

It was a few years ago that the tourney was in the UNI dome, I don't know the number but it sure seemed like a huge attendance?

#4 IronChef

IronChef

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,753 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:39 AM

It was a few years ago that the tourney was in the UNI dome, I don't know the number but it sure seemed like a huge attendance?

If by a few you mean 20. UNI Dome hosted in 1997, old man :)

#5 russelscout

russelscout
  • Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:45 AM

Uni-dome only holds 16 to 17,000 I believe. On par with most arenas I would think.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users