66 replies to this topic

#21 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 03:20 AM

what about it?

PROWL is not a style... it is an organization... 

Is wrestling in the organization known as PROWL better preparation for the Olympics and Worlds than wrestling in the organization known as the NCAA?

#22 LJB

LJB

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 03:24 AM

fish

#23 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 03:27 AM

fish

Tuna? Salmon? Tilapia? Halibut? Perch? Red Snapper? Trout? Yellowfin? Walleye? Mahi Mahi? or my personal favorite Sea Bass?

All excellent sources of protein which I agree would certainly help wrestlers prepare for Worlds and Olympics.

Edited by BigTenFanboy, 13 October 2017 - 03:27 AM.

#24 JasonBryant

JasonBryant

I love the Goonies.

• Members
  • 8,642 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 03:30 AM

PROWL is looking at major TV networks for the venture. 

Don't work here no more. Happy now?

www.mattalkonline.com

#25 LJB

LJB

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 03:30 AM

you do realize that almost all "sea bass" is actually patagonian toothfish...

which, fits your MO to a tee...

• cjc007 likes this

#26 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 03:33 AM

you do realize that almost all "sea bass" is actually patagonian toothfish...

which, fits your MO to a tee...

And its delicious!

#27 steamboat_charlie

steamboat_charlie

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 03:38 AM

Wait, what is this? Is it actually happening, or just a proposal at this point?

Edited by steamboat_charlie, 13 October 2017 - 03:39 AM.

#28 Witherman

Witherman

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 03:49 AM

Wait, what is this? Is it actually happening, or just a proposal at this point?

dunno. the way flo was talking about it was a done deal, also the way tony ramos is defending it like crazy on twitter right now makes it seem that way as well.

someone in this thread brought up a great point though, Prowl and Flo would technically be competitors and I didn't think about it that way.

#29 LJB

LJB

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 03:52 AM

i did not get the sense it was a done deal... 

Edited by LJB, 13 October 2017 - 03:52 AM.

#30 IronChef

IronChef

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 04:36 AM

Is there a path to profitability here? 

#31 LJB

LJB

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 04:44 AM

only if they can actually sell TV rights, which, if they could, i would be on board with using this format as a way to pick next years team only as a way of launching a more sustainable pro wrestling league than previous attempts...

but using this system long term to decide our world teams is no less horrifying today than when i initially heard it yesterday...

#32 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:03 AM

I have a couple problems with this.  

1. This is a very stupid way to decide a world team.  You want 4 separate weight weigh ins over 7 weeks?  That makes no sense.

2. Only wrestling one match at a time is not a good simulation of the world or olympic tournament. 

3.  The field for WTT qualification is way too small.  Why does an NCAA champion get in over the #3 at the US open (assuming #2 wins the last chance qualifier).  9 out of 10 times #3 at the US open is better than an NCAA champion.  NCAA wrestling isn't even in freestyle or folkstyle, and there are 10 NCAA weights while only 8 freestyle.  

4.  There is a huge conflict of interesting by having Matt Novogratz run the WTT qualification system. I'm generally in favor of trying new ideas because if it is clear that they are bad ideas, it's always possible to go back to the old system.  Having the younger brother of the guy funding USA wrestling now want to control the qualification process as a media venture will make it extremely difficult for USAW to drop this if/when they decide this is bad. 

• Yellow_Medal likes this

#33 quanon

quanon

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,832 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:14 AM

There is a problem, because the weights do not line up properly.

125 / 125.7 (57)

133 / 134.5 (61)

141 / 143.3 (65)

149 / 

157 / 154.3 (70)

165 / 163.1 (74)

174 / 174.2 (79)

184 / 189.6 (86)

197 / 202.8 (92)

285 / 213.8 (97) & 275.6 (125)

#34 Husker_Du

Husker_Du

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,449 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:13 AM

PROWL is looking at major TV networks for the venture. 

not as simple as that.

Don't make Zebra unhappy.

#35 SetonHallPirate

SetonHallPirate

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 10,506 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:03 AM

not as simple as that.

Where's the South Park Underpants Gnome graphic when you need it?

Friday-Saturday, December 1-2: Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational, Las Vegas, NV

Building a better Pirate...construction in process.

Editor-in-Chief, WrestlingByPirate

Website/Blog: http://wrestlingbypirate.wordpress.com

Twitter: @wrestlingbypir8

#36 superbowlhomeboy

superbowlhomeboy

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:10 AM

not as simple as that.

Of course someone from Flo would say that. Please explain why wrestling won't work on major networks and why Flo is the best avenue.

You can tell me this isn't a competitor for Flo, but who broadcast the WTT's this year and who would be broadcasting it if this happens? Maybe "competitor" isn't the right word, but these two groups certainly have opposing interests. We're not dumb. This would not be good for Flo's business as they would lose a marquee event.

Edited by superbowlhomeboy, 13 October 2017 - 09:12 AM.

#37 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:20 AM

Of course someone from Flo would say that. Please explain why wrestling won't work on major networks and why Flo is the best avenue.

You can tell me this isn't a competitor for Flo, but who broadcast the WTT's this year and who would be broadcasting it if this happens? Maybe "competitor" isn't the right word, but these two groups certainly have opposing interests. We're not dumb. This would not be good for Flo's business as they would lose a marquee event.

I'd love to see the WTT on TV, but I don't think a 6 week round robin tournament will draw any interest at all. The point of the WTT should be to put together the best world team, end of discussion. This format does not do that and it damages the trials process in order to revive what has repeatedly been a failed idea (professional wrestling league).  

You won't have a successful professional wrestling league without actually having the best wrestlers in the world, period.  If UWW planned out some type of league that included the best in the world and culminated in the world championships, that would be something to watch.  

You're right that the people who work for flo have a conflict of interest.  I do not though and think this idea is nonsense.  Would it even be on the table if the person running it isn't the brother of the guy funding USAW? 

Edited by Billyhoyle, 13 October 2017 - 10:23 AM.

#38 Yellow_Medal

Yellow_Medal

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:23 AM

I have a couple problems with this.

3. The field for WTT qualification is way too small. Why does an NCAA champion get in over the #3 at the US open (assuming #2 wins the last chance qualifier). 9 out of 10 times #3 at the US open is better than an NCAA champion. NCAA wrestling isn't even in freestyle or folkstyle, and there are 10 NCAA weights while only 8 freestyle.

Also, could NCAA champs even accept the prize money, or could it be placed in escrow like for Snyder?

#39 Yellow_Medal

Yellow_Medal

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:42 AM

Why on earth would they want to compete with or alienate flo, the best thing wrestling has going in terms of retaining its base as fans? Flo facilitated my transition from former wrestler to rabid wrestling fan. If they want, as they claim, to help grow wrestling and inject cash into the sport's top levels, then undercutting flo seems counterintuitive. Now, I'm not saying that flo is God's gift to wrestling, and I also have considered the angle that competition will be good for flo in the long run. However, cooperating with and seeking input from flo, the rtc coaches, the athletes, among other stakeholders seems like it might be better for the future of the sport

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • BigTenFanboy likes this

#40 Jon_Kozak

Jon_Kozak
  • Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:22 PM

I have no inside information, but I'm almost 100% sure this is wrong.  PROWL is a private entity that aims to make wrestling more popular and make money.  Maybe if it is successful, they will work together with US Wrestling, but I don't think US Wrestling is going to determine their world team members in a drastically different way just because an unproven start-up tells them they should.

So you have no inside information but are almost 100% sure...great logic. The way flo was reporting, it sounded like a done deal.

Also, USA wrestling is not doing it because a start-up told them to, they're doing it because of $$$$$$ 

Sounded like USA wrestling would be getting at least $500,000 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users