• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#61 rpm002

rpm002

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 03:25 PM

Molinaro was very close to medalling in the Olympics, but in this format, he would not have been one of the 4 wrestling.

Gilman did medal at Worlds, but in this format, he probably would not have qualified.  He did win Last Chance, but only because he was going up against an extremely weak field.  He nearly lost in the final of that event as it was. If guys like NaTo/Graff wrestled him on that day, the odds are good he would not have made the Prowl field of 4.  But Darian Cruz would have.  So please explain to me why this is a good idea.

• JHRoseWrestling likes this

#62 broyles_152

broyles_152
  • Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 11:09 PM

With this logic why not have them weight in every day? "If they can't make it, they should probably move up." There's a difference between what these men cut vs what you cut in grade school. Making weight takes extraordinary discipline for many of the people on the team, and moving up isn't an option because there's 20lb between each weight class. It's not a 4lb difference like your grade school days.

I think youre focusing way too much on the fact that i said "we learned this in grade school". By no means am I saying that they are only cutting a couple of pounds to make weight. I am saying that in a format where they have to make weight multiple times they have the choice of either moving up or making the weight. Thats what we learned in grade school. Secondly, they obviously wouldn't make weight everyday. There is a system of every 2 weeks or so being put into play. I'm not saying it will be easy on them, but it may just be how the chips fall. Thats where that decision will have to come into play before the freestyle season begins.

#63 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 12:03 AM

I think youre focusing way too much on the fact that i said "we learned this in grade school". By no means am I saying that they are only cutting a couple of pounds to make weight. I am saying that in a format where they have to make weight multiple times they have the choice of either moving up or making the weight. Thats what we learned in grade school. Secondly, they obviously wouldn't make weight everyday. There is a system of every 2 weeks or so being put into play. I'm not saying it will be easy on them, but it may just be how the chips fall. Thats where that decision will have to come into play before the freestyle season begins.

The goal of the WTT should be to identify the best people to make the world team. That means imitating the weigh in system and procedure at worlds. The goal of WTT should not be to create interest in a wrestling league that will only exist because it will be highly subsidized from a billionaire. I'm fine with the wrestling league, but don't make it part of the trials process.

Edited by Billyhoyle, 22 October 2017 - 12:04 AM.

#64 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 12:10 AM

The goal of the WTT should be to identify the best people to make the world team. That means imitating the weigh in system and procedure at worlds. The goal of WTT should not be to create interest in a wrestling league that will only exist because it will be highly subsidized from a billionaire. I'm fine with the wrestling league, but don't make it part of the trials process.

Agreed. They can even make it a qualifier for the W/OTTs, but it absolutely should not be what sends you to the olympics/worlds.

Edited by BigTenFanboy, 22 October 2017 - 12:10 AM.

#65 broyles_152

broyles_152
  • Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 12:27 AM

I absolutely agree that it shouldn't be apart of the triala process. I was just stating gow i would change it if it had to be that way. I believe were actually more on the same page. I want a pro leauge but not at the peril of our trials

#66 mostTD

mostTD
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 01:20 AM

This cuts to the heart of the matter right here.  Since Novogratz is donating to USA Wrestling he seems to have leverage on their decisions.  There is a strong appearance that this leverage is causing USAW to select a  TV deal in favor of Novogratz's relative...

If you are going to be a major donor to USAW should it come with strings attached? 

Should billionaire donors expect USAW to behave in a certain way?

Should philanthropy come with strings attached?

When you donate to the local kid's wrestling club do you expect a seat at the table when they decide their schedule or when they choose a vendor?

Edited by mostTD, 23 October 2017 - 01:21 AM.

#67 steamboat_charlie

steamboat_charlie

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 03:38 AM

This cuts to the heart of the matter right here.  Since Novogratz is donating to USA Wrestling he seems to have leverage on their decisions.  There is a strong appearance that this leverage is causing USAW to select a  TV deal in favor of Novogratz's relative...

If you are going to be a major donor to USAW should it come with strings attached? 

Should billionaire donors expect USAW to behave in a certain way?

Should philanthropy come with strings attached?

When you donate to the local kid's wrestling club do you expect a seat at the table when they decide their schedule or when they choose a vendor?

I know he's honorary chair of USWF, but does anyone beyond that the nature of his involvement with USAW? 

It's not at all abnormal for significant donors to have influence on 501©(3)'s organizations.  It's the responsibility of the USAW management, Board of Directors, Executive Committee, et al, to oversee the operation and ensure that pressure from third parties doesn't work counter to the interests of the organization.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users