WillieBoy

Coon vs Snyder - can the bigger guy do it?

In watching the match in this threat Coon really needs to work on his riding. Not being able to control Snyder really hurt him in the match. His size and weight should give him an advantage here if he learns to control much better from the top position.

As for Snyder. He gets in deep and keeps working. If he adds a good snap down/go behind he will have Coon out of position and out quick him for a takedown or two as well. Maybe even the old HS move - a firemans carry on the big man. With Coon pushing and trying to go over the top he is open to it and Snyder has the speed and knows how to work leverage well enough to make it work.

Not sure about Hall or the rest of the field but I still think Coon can make a match of it. If he can only stay on top and ride for a minute or more it will help a lot.

We're just splitting hairs here then. I'm not trying to make Snyder out to be a wrestling god, but I just am trying to out on what basis people are seeing an upset here, given the history and relative strengths of each guy. But! I guess that's what March is all about.

In my Universe Snyder is a wrestling god. I just feel bad for Coon, people are putting a target on his back. Geez, he already has to go through arguably the best pound for pound guy in the world, who in folk beat Gwiz, in any Universe, without Snyder, a dominate 3-timer, and now folks want to get Snyder pumped for Coon..... why would everybody do that to the guy. It is just wrong! ;) Edited by sgallan

Or I suppose it could be.... I beat Gwiz, three worlds including an Olympic gold, an epic battle over another all time great wrestler, but Coon...... NOOOOO,anything but Coon.

Edited by sgallan

Or I suppose it could be.... I beat Gwiz, three worlds including an Olympic gold, an epic battle over another all time great wrestler, but Coon...... NOOOOO,anything but Coon.

I bet he's not taking Coon for granted. I was thinking about this today: why does Snyder keep wrestling in college? He has nothing to prove collegiately, he's a multiple world champion. The reason he still wrestles college is this: he enjoys the challenge of dominating guys bigger than him. Well, and I'm sure he wants to help Ohio State too, but I think deep down he enjoys the spectacle of going out there and beating guys a lot bigger than him. Not only that, but dominating them.

Damn sadist :D

I am really impressed that Snyder can get Coon' s leg up long enough to run the pipe. I wonder if Coon has to cut a bit to make 285.  He is  a big dude.

In a recent interview  (on Askren/Rowlands podcast) Coach McFarland stated that AC was over 300 #s in this off season and will work his way down to the weight.  

Let's not forget that Coon's an aerospace engineering major with a perfect GPA.  Even as we speak, he's figuring out a plan for Snyder.

https://i.imgur.com/zLBkDPA.gifv

Like your post cause its clever, but you may recall a pretty good fighter once said ''everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth''. 

This is how I imagine this match going down. Not Snyder punching him, of course, but doing things he can't stop.

Edited by TBar1977

Game means having a pitbull mentality. You can be game and get your ass handed to you on a platter 10 times out of 10. Kasper legitimately did not fear Snyder and had a nothing-to-lose mindset. Everyone else gave Snyder a ton of respect. Kasper seems to have a screw loose somewhere in a good way.

He also lost to Medberry's backup, who himself had a pitbull mentality when wrestling Kasper.

Edited by jchapman

Wonder where Coon is planning on working? I'm in the aerospace industry, maybe I should tweet at him.

Wonder where Coon is planning on working? I'm in the aerospace industry, maybe I should tweet at him.

Just thinking' bout a few of my buds on our team. They were also - in aerospace. Oh, it was so obvious and hilarious.    ; ) 

You think it's a joke working in the aerospace industry, I guess?

Hmm, never really thought a bunch about the aerospace folks. Or, I certainly never really thought of your industry very much (either way). Except, perhaps I may have thought that the (your) industry is

made up of seriously intelligent, dedicated, major educated people. Those same people are part of what makes our country continuously the leader in this ever so competitive field of study.

It is somewhat late to take back the words that I chose to use. Although, I have learned a valuable lesson here. It is with that notion, among others, that I submit the following. I apologize.

About my words that I chose to use :

Well, I guess that you would have-had to be there. For, you see,  I was merely thinking back to some of the crazy funny guys that we had in our room. 'Spaced out'

Sort of 'spacey guys' if you will. Maybe spacey is a term that has up and gone asunder ? Except that Merriam and Web seem to associate the word with drugs.

And no. I won't go there right now.

People will judge us by the words that we chose to use. And that's the truth.

Yours in wrestling,

Denny

When the hell does our new college season start ? 

Agree with this, Coon has to be looking for the fall at every second of the match because it's by far the most realistic way he can win. Only other way I see him winning is he goes for the pin but doesn't finish Snyder off and gets a 5 pointer instead. That coupled with a good long ride might be enough to pull the upset.

Fun fact, Coon has beaten a World Champion and Olympic medalist before. Geno Petriashvilli by fall in the Cadet World freestyle finals a few years ago. He probably wasn't the best wrestler in that match either. So while I think it very unlikely he can win, if he can get to that over/under body lock he loves he can throw/pin anybody.

Ah, the this guy beat that guy rationale. An oldie but a goodie. Take a few steps and you can have some average D II guy teching Snyder.

Game means having a pitbull mentality. You can be game and get your ass handed to you on a platter 10 times out of 10. Kasper legitimately did not fear Snyder and had a nothing-to-lose mindset. Everyone else gave Snyder a ton of respect. Kasper seems to have a screw loose somewhere in a good way.

I have a pit bull mentality, can get to the center of the mat without tripping, most of the time, so I should have a pretty good shot at Snyder too Edited by sgallan

In watching the match in this threat Coon really needs to work on his riding. Not being able to control Snyder really hurt him in the match. His size and weight should give him an advantage here if he learns to control much better from the top position.

As for Snyder. He gets in deep and keeps working. If he adds a good snap down/go behind he will have Coon out of position and out quick him for a takedown or two as well. Maybe even the old HS move - a firemans carry on the big man. With Coon pushing and trying to go over the top he is open to it and Snyder has the speed and knows how to work leverage well enough to make it work.

Not sure about Hall or the rest of the field but I still think Coon can make a match of it. If he can only stay on top and ride for a minute or more it will help a lot.

Such disrespect for arguably the lb for lb guy, a lot of American wrestling fans are, just, so, stupid. LOL

I have a pit bull mentality, can get to the center of the mat without tripping, most of the time, so I should have a pretty good shot at Snyder too

Right, that’s exactly what he wrote. You should take a very long walk off a very tall cliff with that pitbull mentality and do us all a favor.

Right, that’s exactly what he wrote. You should take a very long walk off a very tall cliff with that pitbull mentality and do us all a favor.

I've done that, had a chute attached. Landings are softer. I am smart that way. Edited by sgallan