gowrestle

How Many “Room Guys� became National Champs?

I believe Derek Moore from UC Davis was a walk-on. He ended up winning a National Championship. I think the definition of "room guy" is pretty subjective, but I'd guess that almost any walk on would qualify.

In my opinion, the most unlikely NCAA champ ever. 5th at states, walk-on who enrolled in ROTC to pay for school, unusual style lacking in some “must-have” fundamentals, torn knee and injured elbow, and from a no-name wrestling school. TF in the finals to become the first NCAA champ ever in any sport for his school. Just unbelievable.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

I would define a room guy as someone who had the opportunity to wrestle on scholarship. Every Ivy’s league champ, at least in the modern era, had that opportunity.

You think a room guy is a scholarship athlete? And you think the Ivy League gives athletic scholarships?

You think a room guy is a scholarship athlete? And you think the Ivy League gives athletic scholarships?

I meant to say did NOT have the opportunity to wrestle on scholarship. For example, rumor is Mark Hall’s dad graciously turned down money for Mark, so he is not on scholarship. He is not exactly a room guy....

Every Ivy champ had an opportunity to get money elsewhere but wisely (in my opinion) chose to go the Ivy route instead. So guys like Dake, Jantzen, Valenti, et al are not room guys despite not getting wrestling scholarship money.

I meant to say did NOT have the opportunity to wrestle on scholarship. For example, rumor is Mark Hall’s dad graciously turned down money for Mark, so he is not on scholarship. He is not exactly a room guy....

Every Ivy champ had an opportunity to get money elsewhere but wisely (in my opinion) chose to go the Ivy route instead. So guys like Dake, Jantzen, Valenti, et al are not room guys despite not getting wrestling scholarship money.

ok, I gotcha.

Travis Lee 2005 Cornell.. 4x AA, 2x National Champ.. basically unrecruited out of high school.

Fargo and Senior National AA in some stacked weight classes. Didn't necessarily come out of nowhere in college, though he did in high school. When he made AA as a freshman, not a lot of people on here were surprised. 

Edited by superbowlhomeboy

Fargo and Senior National Champ in some stacked weight classes. Didn't necessarily come out of nowhere in college, though he did in high school. When he made AA as a freshman, not a lot of people on here were surprised. 

Yes, I have documented on these boards about Travis Lee in the past. He was a 3x Hawaii state champ but didn't get recruited. He won Senior Nationals in Freestyle and Greco the summer after graduating HS before his freshman year. Prior to winning the the Dual Freestyle and Greco titles he was virtually an unknown.

He won Fargo over Nick Simmons when Simmons was going for his 4th title.  He was well known and a respected prospect.  

He beat Nick Simmons at Fargo in the Summer of 2001 about a month AFTER graduating high school. He started school at Cornell in the fall of 2001.

I guess he must have been lying in the interviews after winning his NCAA titles when he stated that he wasn't recruited by college coaches.

He basically became a well known and respected prospect AFTER finishing his HS Career during the summer before his freshman year of college. He's stated in interviews that he started getting calls after winning both Greco and Freestyle titles at Fargo, unfortunately they didnt have much to offer due to the fact that all of their scholarship budget was pretty much used up due to it being the summer before starting the new school year.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Lee was a very late “find” by D1 coaches, so he borderline qualifies as a hidden gem in my book. I believe I remember hearing him state in an interview after his famous Fargo showing that, other than Koll, the only other D1 coach who expressed any interest before Fargo was Bobby Douglas at ISU. ISU had a Hawaiian state champ, Grant Nakamura, on their roster, and Douglas probably heard about Travis through him. I’m curious as to how Koll heard of him, if anyone knows. Lee was definitely under the radar until he graduated HS.

I'm going to quibble with the above definitions of "room guy". I say it's someone who the coaching staff never expected to crack the starting lineup; hence the name "room guy" - they'll only wrestle in the room and not in front of a crowd.

That's all I have to add to this conversation.

Edited by Fletcher

Nahshon Garrett didn't even expect to go to college.

And most people didn't expect Nashon to start.  They had a kid out of Mo who was considered a better prospect for 125 in the same class.  Nashon just really improved.