Sign in to follow this  
Witherman

1995 vs 2017 Freestyle Teams!

Saw this on Xander Schultz's twitter, thought it would spark a decent debate here

Zeke Jones vs Thomas Gilman

Terry Brands vs Logan Stieber

Tom Brands vs Zain Retheford

Townsend Saunders vs James Green

Dave Schultz vs Jordan Burroughs

Kevin Jackson vs J'Den Cox

Kurt Angle vs Kyle Snyder

Bruce Baumghartner vs Nick Gwiazdowski

Personally I have it:

Jones

Brands

Brands

Green

Burroughs

Jackson

Snyder

Baumghartner

Would absolutely love to see Schultz Burroughs and cox jackson was tough for me!

Saw this on Xander Schultz's twitter, thought it would spark a decent debate here

Personally I have it:

Jones

Brands

Brands

Green

Burroughs

Jackson

Snyder

Baumghartner

Would absolutely love to see Schultz Burroughs and cox jackson was tough for me!

I don't know about Synder beating Kurt Angle. After all he did win the Olympics with a "broken frickin neck!"

I kid I kid.. I agree with all your picks.

Personally I have it:

Jones

Brands

Brands

Green

Burroughs

Jackson

Snyder

Baumghartner

You have the Brands Brothers at the wrong weight classes. They competed at lighter weights than Stieber and Retherford are comfortable at. You would match them up vs Gilman and Stieber.

For the record I see the matches, matched up correctly, as 50-50 in just about every case except I would give Snyder the edge over Angle, and either bump Jones or Terry Brands out of the lowest weight class match, and match Saunders vs Retherford or Green.

Going on results of the respective years (with an exception for Saunders).....

Gilman - Placed better and strong guys with tanks were a tough for Zeke

Terry  

Tom

Saunders - that was just an unreal weight in those days 

JB

Jackson

Snyder

Baumgartner 

Going on results of the respective years (with an exception for Saunders).....

Gilman - Placed better and strong guys with tanks were a tough for Zeke

Terry

Tom

Saunders - that was just an unreal weight in those days

JB

Jackson

Snyder

Baumgartner

Jones won an Olympic Silver to go along with a World gold the year before. He also has wins over Sammie Henson another World champion/Olympic silver. I would put that over Gilman's world silver. I would say the advantahe that Gilman would have over Jones would be size. Edited by BigTenFanboy

Jones won an Olympic Silver to go along with a World gold the year before. He also has wins over Sammie Henson another World champion/Olympic silver. I would put that over Gilman's world silver. I would say the advantahe that Gilman would have over Jones would be size.

This isn't about career it is about results for one year 95 versus 2017 only. Clearly Jones had a better career, it is not even close. I didn't even want to answer this because I figured somebody wouldn't get the perspective part. But if you want to go without perspective..... Gilman, Loggie, and Zain all win because they were a lot bigger.  Good point on Henson though. 

This isn't about career it is about results for one year 95 versus 2017 only. Clearly Jones had a better career, it is not even close. I didn't even want to answer this because I figured somebody wouldn't get the perspective part. But if you want to go without perspective..... Gilman, Loggie, and Zain all win because they were a lot bigger. Good point on Henson though.

I'm not talking about career either though. Jones was a world champion in 1991. Gilman was a world silver in 2017. That's single season vs another single season. I believe Jones was at 114.5lbs where as Gilman was at 125. The weight advantage is the only edge I see at this point for Gilman.

Jones had tremendous experience at this point where as Gilman was new and fresh to the international scene at this point. The wrestlers he faced were relatively fresh faced on the world stage as well. I would see Jones in 95 beating Gilman.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

I'm not talking about career either though. Jones was a world champion in 1991. Gilman was a world silver in 2017. That's single season vs another single season. I believe Jones was at 114.5lbs where as Gilman was at 125. The weight advantage is the only edge I see at this point for Gilman. I would see Jones in 95 beating Gilman.

You just said something that Jones did in 1991 as a point for 1995 which means...... you are trolling. Your mommy must be proud to have raised a troll.

You just said something that Jones did in 1991 as a point for 1995 which means...... you are trolling. Your mommy must be proud to have raised a troll.

How am I trolling? Jones was a 1991 world champion and a 1992 Olympic Silver medalist? By choosing him to defeat a world silver who defeated 0 world medalists (heading into worlds) is trolling? Its called having a discussion in a fantasy matchup.

Jones was already a very proven and decorated international wrestler by 1995 with some very impressive wins over some very proven world level wrestlers. Gilman won silver in a weight class that was virtually emptied out of experience. I go with the more experienced wrestler who's already accomplished wins over top world level wrestlers vs the new kid on the block who beat other new kids on the block.

And guess what? I would pick a 1995 Sammie Henson over 2017 Gilman as well! Or would you consider that trolling as well?

Edited by BigTenFanboy

How am I trolling? Jones was a 1991 world champion and a 1992 Olympic Silver medalist? By choosing him to defeat a world silver who defeated 0 world medalists (heading into worlds) is trolling? Its called having a discussion in a fantasy matchup.

Jones was already a very proven and decorated international wrestler by 1995 with some very impressive wins over some very proven world level wrestlers. Gilman won silver in a weight class that was virtually emptied out of experience. I go with the more experienced wrestler who's already accomplished wins over top world level wrestlers vs the new kid on the block who beat other new kids on the block.

And guess what? I would pick a 1995 Sammie Henson over 2017 Gilman as well! Or would you consider that trolling as well?

Dude, you have already show you are trolling, quit embarrassing your mommy.

Dude, you have already show you are trolling, quit embarrassing your mommy.

I'm trolling because I picked a defending world champion and Olympic Silver medalist whos defeated many other expereinced world level wrestlers over a first time World silver who defeated 0 returning medalists? If anyone is trolling its you my friend.

It depends on the rule set for some of these bouts.  If we are wrestling under 1995 rules, I definitely take Saunders.  Forced par terre and longer par terre.  Green with his 2017 sjill set could be in trouble.  Townshend was a beast on top.

I'm sure this will cause "ire", but here's how I have it, and why:

* Jones > Gilman:  It's Zeke, and quite frankly, simply better.

* Stieber > Brands:  Awaiting the ire here.  I personally feel, that at 61kg, Stieber was 3rd best in the world, but ran into the "real" #1 and #2 due to the draw.  Those "real" #1 and #2 are on at a VERY high level.  If they wrestled 10 matches, I see Stieber taking 6, and Brands taking 4 of them.

* Brands > Zain:  Zain is still too green.

* Saunders > Green:  I just feel that Saunders is better positionally.

* Burroughs > Schultz:  Tough to say, as they are both legends.  Burroughs gets it by sheer volume of medals

* Cox > Jackson:  If there was ever a tie, this is it.  I have to pick someone, and until someone domestically can beat J'Den...  (yes... recency bias)

* Snyder > Angle:  Until proven otherwise, he's the best P4P, and my pick as the GOAT (will be proclaimed as such by 2025)

* Baum > Gwiz:  Arguably the GOAT for the USA.  

So... 

1995 Team:  4 Wins

2017 Team:  4 Wins

And it's a tie... going to Tiebreakers, and whoa boy.

* Stieber > Brands:  Awaiting the ire here.  I personally feel, that at 61kg, Stieber was 3rd best in the world, but ran into the "real" #1 and #2 due to the draw.  Those "real" #1 and #2 are on at a VERY high level.  If they wrestled 10 matches, I see Stieber taking 6, and Brands taking 4 of them.

* Saunders > Green:  I just feel that Saunders is better positionally.  Green is still too green. 

* Burroughs > Schultz:  Tough to say, as they are both legends.  Burroughs gets it by sheer volume of medals

* Cox > Jackson:  If there was ever a tie, this is it.  I have to pick someone, and until someone domestically can beat J'Den...  (yes... recency bias)

* Snyder > Angle:  Until proven otherwise, he's the best P4P, and my pick as the GOAT (will be proclaimed as such by 2025)

So... 

FIFY  :)

mspart

Great discussion topic.  It is really tough to separate their records and this one year.  Dave Schultz took 2nd at Yarygin while still in HS I think.  But in 1995, it had been a while after that.  I think the 1995 Schultz loses to the 2017 Burroughs.  Just from sheer age, even though he made the team.  I think Tom Brands loses.  He took 9th that year and Zain would have done better in a double elim tourney.  Jackson was WC that year so I take him over Cox.  Jackson was just a beast.  However, he lost the next year to Les Gutches who was also a beast.  Cox is a beast.  But in comparison, Jackson was beastlier.  Baum for sure.  Don't know about Saunders and Green.  Terry takes Logie, and Jones takes Gilman.  Snyder is a force of nature.  I know Angle was good, but Snyder is better.  Snyder wins.

So that has me at:

1995 - 4

2017 - 3

Not sure 1

mspart

treep2000, on 23 Oct 2017 - 2:47 PM, said:

* Saunders > Green:  I just feel that Saunders is better positionally.

So... 

Don't necessarily agree with all of your picks but I like the post.  Fun topic.   :)