Sign in to follow this  
Witherman

1995 vs 2017 Freestyle Teams!

I believe Jones was at 114.5lbs where as Gilman was at 125. The weight advantage is the only edge I see at this point for Gilman.

But it’s a HUGE advantage. 10.5 lbs is a ton of weight to give up against a well-conditioned, physical wrestler. As someone already said, it’s not the right weight class comparison.

Zeke Jones vs Thomas Gilman

Terry Brands vs Logan Stieber

Tom Brands vs Zain Retheford

Townsend Saunders vs James Green

Dave Schultz vs Jordan Burroughs

Kevin Jackson vs J'Den Cox

Kurt Angle vs Kyle Snyder

Bruce Baumghartner vs Nick Gwiazdowski

I'm sure this will cause "ire", but here's how I have it, and why:

* Jones > Gilman: It's Zeke, and quite frankly, simply better.

* Stieber > Brands: Awaiting the ire here. I personally feel, that at 61kg, Stieber was 3rd best in the world, but ran into the "real" #1 and #2 due to the draw. Those "real" #1 and #2 are on at a VERY high level. If they wrestled 10 matches, I see Stieber taking 6, and Brands taking 4 of them.

* Brands > Zain: Zain is still too green.

* Saunders > Green: I just feel that Saunders is better positionally.

* Burroughs > Schultz: Tough to say, as they are both legends. Burroughs gets it by sheer volume of medals

* Cox > Jackson: If there was ever a tie, this is it. I have to pick someone, and until someone domestically can beat J'Den... (yes... recency bias)

* Snyder > Angle: Until proven otherwise, he's the best P4P, and my pick as the GOAT (will be proclaimed as such by 2025)

* Baum > Gwiz: Arguably the GOAT for the USA.

So...

1995 Team: 4 Wins

2017 Team: 4 Wins

And it's a tie... going to Tiebreakers, and whoa boy.

no grief from me, you made picks and backed them up with fair analysis. I may not agree but if you look at it another way 2017 sweeps easy cause 1995 are all old now. ;)

no grief from me, you made picks and backed them up with fair analysis. I may not agree but if you look at it another way 2017 sweeps easy cause 1995 are all old now. ;)

Treep2000 writes "Jones > Gilman: It's Zeke, and quite frankly, simply better." = backing it up

Listing Jones' qualifications and accomplishments leading up to 1995 as an former world champion and Olympic Silver medalist and having beaten other world level medalists like Sammie Henson = trolling

You sure make a lot of sense buddy.