Terry Brands vs Logan Stieber
Tom Brands vs Zain Retheford
Townsend Saunders vs James Green
Dave Schultz vs Jordan Burroughs
Kevin Jackson vs J'Den Cox
Kurt Angle vs Kyle Snyder
Bruce Baumghartner vs Nick Gwiazdowski

I'm sure this will cause "ire", but here's how I have it, and why:

* Jones > Gilman:  It's Zeke, and quite frankly, simply better.

* Stieber > Brands:  Awaiting the ire here.  I personally feel, that at 61kg, Stieber was 3rd best in the world, but ran into the "real" #1 and #2 due to the draw.  Those "real" #1 and #2 are on at a VERY high level.  If they wrestled 10 matches, I see Stieber taking 6, and Brands taking 4 of them.

* Brands > Zain:  Zain is still too green.

* Saunders > Green:  I just feel that Saunders is better positionally.  Green is still too green. 

* Burroughs > Schultz:  Tough to say, as they are both legends.  Burroughs gets it by sheer volume of medals

* Cox > Jackson:  If there was ever a tie, this is it.  I have to pick someone, and until someone domestically can beat J'Den...  (yes... recency bias)

* Snyder > Angle:  Until proven otherwise, he's the best P4P, and my pick as the GOAT (will be proclaimed as such by 2025)

* Baum > Gwiz:  Arguably the GOAT for the USA.  

So... 

1995 Team:  4 Wins

2017 Team:  4 Wins

And it's a tie... going to Tiebreakers, and whoa boy.

FIFY  :)

mspart

• treep2000 likes this

#22 mspart

mspart

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 07:52 AM

Great discussion topic.  It is really tough to separate their records and this one year.  Dave Schultz took 2nd at Yarygin while still in HS I think.  But in 1995, it had been a while after that.  I think the 1995 Schultz loses to the 2017 Burroughs.  Just from sheer age, even though he made the team.  I think Tom Brands loses.  He took 9th that year and Zain would have done better in a double elim tourney.  Jackson was WC that year so I take him over Cox.  Jackson was just a beast.  However, he lost the next year to Les Gutches who was also a beast.  Cox is a beast.  But in comparison, Jackson was beastlier.  Baum for sure.  Don't know about Saunders and Green.  Terry takes Logie, and Jones takes Gilman.  Snyder is a force of nature.  I know Angle was good, but Snyder is better.  Snyder wins.

So that has me at:

1995 - 4

2017 - 3

Not sure 1

mspart

#23 2td3nf

2td3nf

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 09:53 AM

treep2000, on 23 Oct 2017 - 2:47 PM, said:

Zeke Jones vs Thomas Gilman

* Jones > Gilman:  It's Zeke, and quite frankly, simply better.

* Stieber > Brands:  Awaiting the ire here.  I personally feel, that at 61kg, Stieber was 3rd best in the world, but ran into the "real" #1 and #2 due to the draw.  Those "real" #1 and #2 are on at a VERY high level.  If they wrestled 10 matches, I see Stieber taking 6, and Brands taking 4 of them.

* Brands > Zain:  Zain is still too green.

* Saunders > Green:  I just feel that Saunders is better positionally.

* Burroughs > Schultz:  Tough to say, as they are both legends.  Burroughs gets it by sheer volume of medals

* Cox > Jackson:  If there was ever a tie, this is it.  I have to pick someone, and until someone domestically can beat J'Den...  (yes... recency bias)

* Snyder > Angle:  Until proven otherwise, he's the best P4P, and my pick as the GOAT (will be proclaimed as such by 2025)

* Baum > Gwiz:  Arguably the GOAT for the USA.  

So... 

1995 Team:  4 Wins

2017 Team:  4 Wins

Don't necessarily agree with all of your picks but I like the post.  Fun topic.   :)

#24 Shiraz123

Shiraz123

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 905 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 10:52 PM

Stieber a better 61 than Aliyev? What? 

#25 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,251 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 02:50 AM

Stieber a better 61 than Aliyev? What?

Yeah. I’m American and that is ridiculous. Aliyev would dominate Stieber.

#26 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,615 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 02:07 AM

I believe Jones was at 114.5lbs where as Gilman was at 125. The weight advantage is the only edge I see at this point for Gilman.

But it’s a HUGE advantage. 10.5 lbs is a ton of weight to give up against a well-conditioned, physical wrestler. As someone already said, it’s not the right weight class comparison.

#27 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 05:17 AM

But it’s a HUGE advantage. 10.5 lbs is a ton of weight to give up against a well-conditioned, physical wrestler. As someone already said, it’s not the right weight class comparison.

As would the Brands Bros being at 61 and 65k 

#28 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,086 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:55 AM

Zeke Jones vs Thomas Gilman

* Jones > Gilman: It's Zeke, and quite frankly, simply better.
* Stieber > Brands: Awaiting the ire here. I personally feel, that at 61kg, Stieber was 3rd best in the world, but ran into the "real" #1 and #2 due to the draw. Those "real" #1 and #2 are on at a VERY high level. If they wrestled 10 matches, I see Stieber taking 6, and Brands taking 4 of them.
* Brands > Zain: Zain is still too green.
* Saunders > Green: I just feel that Saunders is better positionally.
* Burroughs > Schultz: Tough to say, as they are both legends. Burroughs gets it by sheer volume of medals
* Cox > Jackson: If there was ever a tie, this is it. I have to pick someone, and until someone domestically can beat J'Den... (yes... recency bias)
* Snyder > Angle: Until proven otherwise, he's the best P4P, and my pick as the GOAT (will be proclaimed as such by 2025)
* Baum > Gwiz: Arguably the GOAT for the USA.

So...
1995 Team: 4 Wins
2017 Team: 4 Wins

no grief from me, you made picks and backed them up with fair analysis. I may not agree but if you look at it another way 2017 sweeps easy cause 1995 are all old now. ;)

#29 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 02:17 PM

no grief from me, you made picks and backed them up with fair analysis. I may not agree but if you look at it another way 2017 sweeps easy cause 1995 are all old now. ;)

Treep2000 writes "Jones > Gilman: It's Zeke, and quite frankly, simply better." = backing it up
Listing Jones' qualifications and accomplishments leading up to 1995 as an former world champion and Olympic Silver medalist and having beaten other world level medalists like Sammie Henson = trolling

You sure make a lot of sense buddy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users