Sign in to follow this  
Housebuye

Sasso to tOSU

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/62831-ohio-state-s-long-term-depth-chart-has-zero-holes-now

This... I find it a bit premature, yet, sensationalism sells right? 

Literally, tOSU went from "uh oh" status, to "lookin' good" for the next 2-4 years, with a few "overnight" pickups.  This goes to show:

* tOSU, PSU and OSU will be reloading for a VERY long time (or, until their leadership is changed).  

* Other schools will have individuals that shine, but to break this blockade at the top will be increasingly difficult for the foreseeable future

* it's GREAT for wrestling to have not just one, but 2-3 powerhouses that dominate.  This creates friction in recruiting.  This ALSO creates a huge opportunity for wrestlers, post graduation, and their opportunity to coach, taking the training methodologies and approaches to wherever (see Oklahoma with Roselli and Hunter, Dresser at ISU, etc. etc. etc).  

* Just think about the following year's recruiting classes.  Who will PSU, tOSU and OSU pick up next?  Who will be the next Cadet Champs, Junior Champs, and super-studs that are courted by these programs?  

Fascinating era in collegiate wrestling.

EDIT:  Question, for example's sake:  When Burroughs hangs it up, and turns his attention to coaching... if he chooses a school that needs help, let's say, Michigan State... what happens there?  A charismatic figure that CAN coach, has accolades to boot, will cause a recruiting firestorm.  Who wouldn't want to wrestle FOR Burroughs?  Serious question, and may pose a gigantic challenge to the Caels, Ryans, and Smiths of the world.

Edited by treep2000

EDIT:  Question, for example's sake:  When Burroughs hangs it up, and turns his attention to coaching... if he chooses a school that needs help, let's say, Michigan State... what happens there?  A charismatic figure that CAN coach, has accolades to boot, will cause a recruiting firestorm.  Who wouldn't want to wrestle FOR Burroughs?  Serious question, and may pose a gigantic challenge to the Caels, Ryans, and Smiths of the world.

Well, that presumes that Burroughs wants to coach in the first place.  I suspect he will.  In any case, building a program that can challenge those at the top takes years.  The fastest way to get there is to combine two programs and double up on recruiting classes... that's how Cael, Ryan, and TNT vaulted themselves into the NCAA title discussion, anyway.

There aren't really any sleeping giants out there, at least in the same way that Penn St. and Ohio St. were.  Unless you consider Iowa's recent results as "sleeping."  That would be something... Burroughs at Iowa.  

Even if everything goes exactly right, you're probably looking at 5+ years before someone like a Michigan St. could sniff the top ranks.  

Who will PSU, tOSU and OSU pick up next?  Who will be the next Cadet Champs, Junior Champs, and super-studs that are courted by these programs?  

Well, one might figure that Aaron Brooks and Kurt McHenry are being courted pretty heavily. The two of them joined Travis Wittlake, RBY and Seth Nevills among others at Penn State this past weekend for their big recruiting wknd topped by that great football game at Beaver Stadium.

Edited by TBar1977

Well, one might figure that Aaron Brooks and Kurt McHenry are being courted pretty heavily. The two of them joined Travis Wittlake, RBY and Seth Nevills among others at Penn State this past weekend for their big recruiting wknd topped by that great football game at Beaver Stadium.

I have nothing but respect for PSU, but I hope they go to a lesser known school that still has excellent coaching. Maybe VT? Nebraska? ASU? Or an up and comer like Rutgers or NC State?

All of those programs have something to offer high level recruits.

I have nothing but respect for PSU, but I hope they go to a lesser known school that still has excellent coaching. Maybe VT? Nebraska? ASU? Or an up and comer like Rutgers or NC State?

What grade is Mchenry? He'd slot in well at NC State with Fausz nearing the end of his career. 

I agree with this completely. In my own personal taste I don't like seeing all the best guys going to 3 colleges. I like to see variety where each college has the chance at doing well. That's why high school wrestling is so exciting since there is always a ton of teams in the race for a title instead of having super power teams granted that does happen sometimes. I bet RU, VT, ASU, and NC State can offer these guys great training if recruits buy into the program. Rutgers for example got a good recruiting class with Nick Aguilar, Bill Janzer, Kyle Lightner, Jake Benner, and Malcolm Robinson plus with the pickup of Suriano. That's a competitive room plus with Pritzlaff in there training them. Edited by WrestlingLife

I agree with this completely. In my own personal taste I don't like seeing all the best guys going to 3 colleges. I like to see variety where each college has the chance at doing well. That's why high school wrestling is so exciting since there is always a ton of teams in the race for a title instead of having super power teams granted that does happen sometimes. I bet RU, VT, ASU, and NC State can offer these guys great training if recruits buy into the program. Rutgers for example got a good recruiting class with Nick Aguilar, Bill Janzer, Kyle Lightner, Jake Benner, and Malcolm Robinson plus with the pickup of Suriano. That's a competitive room plus with Pritzlaff in there training them.

I think a lot of it has to do with in-state talent staying home. Rutgers for example now has two of it's states most prolific home-grown wrestlers on what is arguably the best team they've had. Kids will want to stay home and be a part of that. 

With someone like Carr aside, you see that in Ohio. 

With someone like Sasso aside, you see that in PA. 

Now, some states aren't as fruitful with in-state talent, and thats where nabbing a blue chipper out of PA, OH, or CA comes in. Plus it never hurts pulling a diamond in the rough, like Kevin Jack for example. 

Schools like Rutgers, SDSU, and NC state are so close, and I do think they'll start pulling more blue chippers. If one guy from each of those teams can win a title, and show that you don't have to be at one of "those" programs to pull it off it will be the start of a pretty good roll I think. Then you look at a program like Fresno state, who very well could be a top 15 team with proper recruiting/success.

I can totally understand the allure of a power program like Iowa, Okie St or PSU though. I also cannot blame any program for hoarding the best recruits. 

I think a lot of it has to do with in-state talent staying home. Rutgers for example now has two of it's states most prolific home-grown wrestlers on what is arguably the best team they've had. Kids will want to stay home and be a part of that.

With someone like Carr aside, you see that in Ohio.

With someone like Sasso aside, you see that in PA.

Now, some states aren't as fruitful with in-state talent, and thats where nabbing a blue chipper out of PA, OH, or CA comes in. Plus it never hurts pulling a diamond in the rough, like Kevin Jack for example.

Schools like Rutgers, SDSU, and NC state are so close, and I do think they'll start pulling more blue chippers. If one guy from each of those teams can win a title, and show that you don't have to be at one of "those" programs to pull it off it will be the start of a pretty good roll I think. Then you look at a program like Fresno state, who very well could be a top 15 team with proper recruiting/success.

I can totally understand the allure of a power program like Iowa, Okie St or PSU though. I also cannot blame any program for hoarding the best recruits.

Because Rutgers has In star blue chippers like Ashnault and suriano, others from out of state will come too. They are just early in the process.

Good points

Any idea if Rutgers was interested in Sasso? He is Italian and only and hour away, seems like a good fit.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Maybe Sasso wrestles 1 year at Ohio State then transfers back because he got homesick.