Did Lesnar ever wrestle freestyle?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 AHamilton

AHamilton
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 03:08 AM

The 1999 NCAA Final turned out to be two of the biggest success stories to come out of the collegiate wrestling world to make it in the mainstream world. On one side you have a future World Champion Freestyle wrestler and NFL Pro bowler, Superbowl Champion and on the other side you have a future UFC World Champion and WWE Championship Superstar wrestler. 

Neal was a very solid OL.  Pretty sure he never made the Pro Bowl, even though he may have been good enough.  If he did make it, it was probably due to starters backing out. 

In fact, Neal only started 16 games once in his career.  Very good player, but not a pro bowler.

Haselrig, did however, make the pro bowl.

Edited by AHamilton, 31 October 2017 - 11:10 PM.

#42 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 01:59 AM

Neal was a very solid OL.  Pretty sure he never made the Pro Bowl, even though he may have been good enough.  If he did make it, it was probably due to starters backing out. 

In fact, Neal only started 16 games once in his career.  Very good player, but not a pro bowler.

Haselrig, did however, make the pro bowl.

I misread the stat. He was 2nd Team All Pro in 2009. I apologize for the error.

Edited by BigTenFanboy, 01 November 2017 - 02:01 AM.

#43 AHamilton

AHamilton
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 02:26 AM

I misread the stat. He was 2nd Team All Pro in 2009. I apologize for the error.

All-pro is very impressive, I wasn't aware.  He only played 12 games that year, though.

It is funny: here in New England, he was never really viewed as an elite talent by most of the fans--- solid and dependable, yes. You never really heard much about him.

#44 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 02:56 AM

All-pro is very impressive, I wasn't aware.  He only played 12 games that year, though.

It is funny: here in New England, he was never really viewed as an elite talent by most of the fans--- solid and dependable, yes. You never really heard much about him.

To the football purist I can see that. From us wrestling fanboys he is one of our heroes. And in New England I guess its tough to standout when you've got guys like Tom Brady.

Edited by BigTenFanboy, 01 November 2017 - 02:56 AM.

#45 AHamilton

AHamilton
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 03:34 AM

To the football purist I can see that. From us wrestling fanboys he is one of our heroes. And in New England I guess its tough to standout when you've got guys like Tom Brady.

I agree.  I used to watch him specifically on plays.  When they talked OL up here, it was usually guys like Logan Mankins and Matt Light.  Neal was never complained about, just not a standout, except to guys like us.  Freddie Smerlas (dominant state New England wrestling champ and one of the best NT ever to play football) seemed to really like him, if I remember correctly.

Edited by AHamilton, 01 November 2017 - 03:41 AM.

#46 mspart

mspart

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 06:46 AM

Neal is the reason that what's his bucket is still playing.  If not for Neal, he would have been sacked too many time.  Neal was good at protecting the quarterback.  Plus he was a world champion wrestler. 

mspart

#47 mspart

mspart

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 06:52 AM

Also there is this:

http://www.patriots....no-stephen-neal

Neal then signed with the Patriots in 2001 despite not having played football since high school in San Diego. After training camp he spent time on the Eagles practice squad before signing with New England’s active roster that December. He was inactive for all six games that year, including Super Bowl XXXVI. By 2002 Neal was in line for a starting job at guard, unfortunately he suffered a shoulder injury on a heady play in his first career start against the Packers as he tried to recover a New England fumble. The injury would sideline him for the rest of 2002 as well as 2003.

After that, Neal would go on to start 81 of 86 games played for the Patriots before his retirement after the 2010 season. He collected his second Super Bowl ring, this time in his first year as a starter in 2004, in the XXXIX victory over the Eagles.

Bill Belichick often jokes that Neal didn’t know how to put his pads on or how to find the practice field when he arrived in New England. After first seeing some time as a defensive lineman, he became an athletically gifted guard and core leader of the Patriots offensive line. It’s hard to imagine just how good of a football player Neal could have been with some college experience and were it not for the injuries he battled throughout his career....

Neal is legitimately one of the greatest all-around athletes to have passed through the Patriots dynasty in Foxborough. Oh, and he just happened to be one of the nicest men to make his way through New England as well.

mspart

#48 AHamilton

AHamilton
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 03:46 AM

Neal is the reason that what's his bucket is still playing.  If not for Neal, he would have been sacked too many time.  Neal was good at protecting the quarterback.  Plus he was a world champion wrestler. 

mspart

Wasn't he a RG?  Not many big-time pass rushing threats (outside of blitzes) that the RG has to pick up.  A RG has responsibilities, but not like a LT.

#49 mspart

mspart

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 02:40 AM

http://www.nbcsports...32-stephen-neal

When Neal retired before the 2011 season, Belichick said in a statement, "They don't come any better than Steve Neal. In terms of improvement and development as a player, Steve may have accomplished more than any player I have ever been around. His toughness, intelligence and competitiveness were at rare levels and all contributed to him going from being a champion in an individual sport to being an integral part of championship teams. I congratulate Steve for an incredible career and thank him for everything he did for me personally, our team and organization."

mspart

#50 gimpeltf

gimpeltf

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 03:16 AM

http://www.nbcsports...32-stephen-neal

When Neal retired before the 2011 season, Belichick said in a statement, "They don't come any better than Steve Neal. In terms of improvement and development as a player, Steve may have accomplished more than any player I have ever been around. His toughness, intelligence and competitiveness were at rare levels and all contributed to him going from being a champion in an individual sport to being an integral part of championship teams. I congratulate Steve for an incredible career and thank him for everything he did for me personally, our team and organization."

mspart

That may be the longest sentence Belichick ever uttered aloud.

• AHamilton likes this

#51 AHamilton

AHamilton
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 03:41 AM

That may be the longest sentence Belichick ever uttered aloud.

It was a "statement."  Most likely written.

He usually keeps spoken communication to one or two words, unless he's belittling the media or waxing poetic about old time football.

#52 headshuck

headshuck

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 15,413 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:14 AM

I’ll just leave this here.

https://instagram.com/p/BbhLECuFOaI/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users