Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

Mason Parris to Michigan

Michigan on the rise. Silva and now Parris. When was the last time the Wolverines has this much elite firepower in one recruiting class? Has to be over a decade ago.

Quite recently actually. Granted, Whitford didn't pan out but they had the #1 recruiting class in 2013. Coon#2, Whitford #4, Abounader #19 and Murphy # 33 with Payne Hayden and George Fisher ranked around #100 as well.

Michigan has the the potential more then any other school to jump to that next level like PSU and tOSU have this decade. It is an open question wether the current coaching staff are the ones to do it. So far I think the program has underachieved considering their recruiting and resources much like Penn State pre Sanderson. This is a big year for McFarland and staff to show what they can do.

Edited by Flying-Tiger

Michigan has the the potential more then any other school to jump to that next level like PSU and tOSU have this decade. It is an open question wether the current coaching staff are the ones to do it. So far I think the program has underachieved considering their recruiting and resources much like Penn State pre Sanderson. This is a big year for McFarland and staff to show what they can do.

I’m not saying I disagree, I just feel like this is something that is discussed annually anymore. I love that Michigan is in the mix now more than they have been in about 20 years, but a top three finish for the Wolverines as a team always seems to be a nearly impossible task. What pieces are they missing to make that happen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think FT's summation is fair.  M has had a blizzard of injury issues seemingly on a yearly basis.  But they have re-doubled their recruiting efforts in recent years.  More importantly, they are well funded.  Indeed, they might be in better position financially than any programs besides PSU and Iowa.  

There should be pressure in Ann Arbor to finish top four.  And if injuries happen again, one has to wonder why this program seems to suffer more critical ones than any major power in D1.

That said--they are positioned to have a great season and have outstanding recruits arriving next fall.  

I think FT's summation is fair.  M has had a blizzard of injury issues seemingly on a yearly basis.  But they have re-doubled their recruiting efforts in recent years.  More importantly, they are well funded.  Indeed, they might be in better position financially than any programs besides PSU and Iowa.  

There should be pressure in Ann Arbor to finish top four.  And if injuries happen again, one has to wonder why this program seems to suffer more critical ones than any major power in D1.

That said--they are positioned to have a great season and have outstanding recruits arriving next fall.  

I have been told on several occasions that their transition and focus to/on academics has constantly held them back from jumping to that next level.  Things like redshirting and positioning guys to make the best possible lineup over a multi-year look just don't get pushed full bore.  Michigan is a tough academic school.  Adjusting to it as a student athlete is not easy.  I have also heard this reason used as part of why they "seem" to have so many issues with injuries.

Taylor Massa is a great example of this and there have been many more elites with similar, although less severe, issues.

Now, with all that said, it seems like the culture has changed a bit.  They aren't just grabbing a couple elites like they do every year.  They seem to be getting kids that are able to assimilate better into the overall Michigan culture.  Kids like Coon, Micic, Pantaleo and Amine have the mindset and the pedigree to be fully prepared for both aspects and Logan Massa can also learn from his brother.

New recruits like Freeman(3.6 gpa) and Embree maintained a strong focus on academics throughout their youth careers.  Joey Silva definitely chose Michigan with Academics in mind stating that the Law Library was a key selling point.  Even Parris has a GPA above a 4.0.

It truly looks like the culture is there now for this unit to finally take that step they haven't quite been able to accomplish!

What ever happened to whitford? Did he end up wrestling in juco or a smaller division school? I seem to recall academics keeping him away from MI but it's been a while so I can't remember

After not getting accepted to Michigan, he went to Muskegon Community College for maybe a semester, from what I was told, never went class. Wrestled at MSU open, place 3rd or 4th in the Freshman division.  A couple of months ago I saw a flyer for a wrestling camp with him and Taylor Massa.   

After not getting accepted to Michigan, he went to Muskegon Community College for maybe a semester, from what I was told, never went class. Wrestled at MSU open, place 3rd or 4th in the Freshman division.  A couple of months ago I saw a flyer for a wrestling camp with him and Taylor Massa.   

such a shame.  He was quite a talent.

Am i the only one disgusted with this sentiment? Such a shame the physical gifts didn't win out? It's a triumph, not a shame.

Yep I think you are the only one lol. Kid had all the potential in the world and wasted it because he was an idiot teenager. Seems like a dang shame to me, the kid was an absolute treat to watch and is the one who would have given Zain a run for his money.

Am i the only one disgusted with this sentiment? Such a shame the physical gifts didn't win out? It's a triumph, not a shame.

Sorry to offend, that was not my intention. just a wrestling fan being selfish because he was such a talent and I wanted to continue to watch him wrestle at the next level. Obviously there are many more things far more important, academics being one. It’s a shame he did not take his academics as seriously as his wrestling. Oh well, you live, learn, and (hopefully) grow.

Furthermore, I wouldn’t use the word triumph, but if the next generation sees this situation and the outcome and uses it as a way to better themselves in the classroom or at least put more emphasis on their schoolwork then I guess it can be viewed positively. It’s tough for me to cheer when a kid doesn’t get his opportunity to compete after training and dedicating for so long. I know it was completely up to him, but still...as disappointed as some of us fans are, I would think it eats at him just a little bit more. Meh, what do I know though? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk