southend

Indiana Hoosiers

We as Indiana University wrestling fans, are trying to figure, how the team is going to figure into the NCAA finals in Cleveland this year. As we know the BIG RED comes up with  a surprise or two, every few years. So instead of surprising us every once in a while, it might be nice if we could get a read, from the Indiana staff on what the prognosis is, for the up and coming team from Indiana , for this year.  Information is not usually very forth coming . But with all the new coaches , new studs in the program, it would be a welcome change to get the low down this year.

Any thoughts on why Indiana doesn't have more success? Coach? Financial commitment? Bad luck?

Indiana isn't the greatest state for wrestling but it does border Ohio, Michigan, and Illinois.

Just curious.

2 qualifiers - Oliver and Skatzka.

Skatz R16

No AAs

I’d add Danishek and Rypel as having a solid shot at qualifying. Not saying all of them make it in but those two are worth consideration if they can preform up to their ability. Edited by MadMardigain

Any thoughts on why Indiana doesn't have more success? Coach? Financial commitment? Bad luck?

Indiana isn't the greatest state for wrestling but it does border Ohio, Michigan, and Illinois.

Just curious.

I kind of think, it might be the coaches record for not having a good room, to be able to develop wrestlers. Quality has always been lacking ,up and down the lineup, for the program. In the Goldman era.Off and on, a wrestler will break through and get to the promised land, AA. But never on a consistent basis. And I know Recruits are aware of this. So the cycle continues for the bottom feeder of the BIG.

We as Indiana University wrestling fans, are trying to figure, how the team is going to figure into the NCAA finals in Cleveland this year. As we know the BIG RED comes up with  a surprise or two, every few years. So instead of surprising us every once in a while, it might be nice if we could get a read, from the Indiana staff on what the prognosis is, for the up and coming team from Indiana , for this year.  Information is not usually very forth coming . But with all the new coaches , new studs in the program, it would be a welcome change to get the low down this year.

Here is my preseason opinion of Indiana, which is similar to Old Marine Wrestler's but with a few contrasts. 

I believe they will have 3 NCAA Qualifiers 

125 Elijah Oliver

157 Jake Danishek 

174 Devin Skatzka 

Oliver is the best shot at an All American. 

The elephant in the room that no one wants to mention is that Goldman isn't getting the job done.  I think that having Simmons in the room helped a lot as did having Mena but there isn't enough stability it seems for the program to do much more than produce a good wrestler here and there every couple of years. 

Taylor Walsh making the finals as a senior was a great moment for Hoosier wrestling, but I feel at another school his skills might have been developed more and his weaknesses would have been strengthened to result in being a multiple time AA.  

What has really concerned me via Indiana over the years is the number of wrestlers that have regressed during their time at Indiana.   

Matt Coughlin 7th as a freshman at the NCAA tournament including knocking off #2 seed Matt Storniolo and defeating future NCAA champ Jordan Leen.  Senior year, has a 50/50 record and doesn't even qualify. 

Andrae Hernandez takes 8th as a sophomore at the NCAA's, and then by the time he's a senior has a losing record and doesn't qualify for the NCAA's a senior. 

The elephant in the room that no one wants to mention is that Goldman isn't getting the job done.  

I think most of us who love IU talk very openly about wanting Coach Goldman to call it a career as he just isnt able to keep the best kids in Indiana or move the program up a notch.  That being said, he has done a pretty respectable job or at least better than most people think.  In the 25 years before Coach Goldman there were 9 all-Americans Under Coaches Blubaugh, Humphrey, McFarland.  During Coach Goldman's 25 years there have been 31.  It wasn't like he took over a program that was on the verge of being great.  I guess what is frustrating to so many Hoosier fans are the continual glimpses of getting to the next level and watching it all tumble down the next year… so yeah…it is way past time for a fresh start  

Edited by matts1w

I think most of us who love IU talk very openly about wanting Coach Goldman to call it a career as he just isnt able to keep the best kids in Indiana or move the program up a notch.  That being said, he has done a pretty respectable job or at least better than most people think.  In the 25 years before Coach Goldman there were 9 all-Americans Under Coaches Blubaugh, Humphrey, McFarland.  During Coach Goldman's 25 years there have been 31.  It wasn't like he took over a program that was on the verge of being great.  I guess what is frustrating to so many Hoosier fans are the continual glimpses of getting to the next level and watching it all tumble down the next year… so yeah…it is way past time for a fresh start  

I like Goldman in a lot of ways and I recognize the great things that he has accomplished.  In a lot of ways he reminds me of Coach Tom Minkle.  Many disregard his accomplishments of yesteryear as his last years at MSU saw them continuously finish in last place in the BIG 10. I'm not disregarding what Goldman has accomplished and on a personal level I think he's a great guy.  It's simply that for some reason Indiana isn't moving forward under him anymore and it is time as you said to call it a career.  

I know the Joe Dubuques, Angel Escobedos,Viktor Svedas, Coyte Coopers, Brandon Beckers, and the Pat DeGains who had successful careers as Hoosiers.  I also know the Greg Schaefers, Trevor Perrys, Marc Bennetts, Ty Matthews, Brady Richardsons, Nate Everharts, Kurt Kinsers, and Paul Youngs,  who should have had much more successful careers than what they did.   

And to reiterate that what happened to Coughlin and Hernandez just doesn't add up. 

In my time as a NCAA Division I wrestling fan Indiana has finished 8th-10th-10th-9th-5th-10th-5th-8th-9th-8th-10th-10th-11th-10th-12th-11th-13th 

Let's keep in mind that a majority of these years were out of 11 teams before Nebraska became a part of the BIG 10 and then out of 12 teams before Maryland and Rutgers became a part of the BIG 10. 

Two 5th place finishes look good and competitive but the other 15 years have been a struggle to not finish in last place. 

You me and everyone who Knows coach Goldman, says the same thing about him, wonderful person, great family man, has many good qualities as a coach. But I have no idea how he thinks he is helping the program there? That's what gets me. Cant see the trees for the forest. And it don't help, having an" ignorant" athletics director prodding him along. And I qualify, ignorant, to mean Fred Glass probably couldn't tell you the first thing about the sport. And by not saying anything, biding his time, leads Duane to this complacent stage in his career. 

Two thinks have to happen there, to get the ball rolling. One, pressure from the alumni association on the President, McRobbie. Does no good to go to Glass. And two ,get the fans of the sport to register their dissatisfaction to the president, not Fred Glass, on a personal note. All the things are in place, at this great university to take the program to a higher level. 

You me and everyone who Knows coach Goldman, says the same thing about him, wonderful person, great family man, has many good qualities as a coach. But I have no idea how he thinks he is helping the program there? That's what gets me. Cant see the trees for the forest. And it don't help, having an" ignorant" athletics director prodding him along. And I qualify, ignorant, to mean Fred Glass probably couldn't tell you the first thing about the sport. And by not saying anything, biding his time, leads Duane to this complacent stage in his career.

Two thinks have to happen there, to get the ball rolling. One, pressure from the alumni association on the President, McRobbie. Does no good to go to Glass. And two ,get the fans of the sport to register their dissatisfaction to the president, not Fred Glass, on a personal note. All the things are in place, at this great university to take the program to a higher level.

Which leads to what I think are the scarier questions to me:

1. When Goldman does end up leaving, does the IU administration have the ability to really see what a Big10 level wrestling coach looks like among possible applicants? One who can recruit the Midwest. One that can energize the fan base so the program gets support. One that can find the diamond in the rough and also develop talent to be better than projected. Maybe that’s not the hot name in coaching and I’m fine with that but it need to be someone that can make recruits believe in the program rather than picking IU so you can say you wrestled in the Big10. One that can make fans believe in the program rather than just following it due to it being one in their state. One that can make Alumni support and promote the program.

2. Is IU administration willing to put up the that will make a Big10 level wrestling coach want take the job? That likely includes having contracts available for two quality assistant coaches rather than the one main assistant coach pay they have had. Sure in its current state IU won’t be pulling in a top 10 coach, but they definitely can find a high quality coach willing to coach at a Big10 program if the admin. can show will back the program in a way that will make it competitive. They aren’t getting the money thrown in that the top programs have but they can get enough to improve competativeness and in some cases it’s not even about the actual dollars being thrown in its also about the promotion and support the administration can help with. Yeah wrestling’s not making IU big bucks but enough other things are that they can put some of the same funding and suppprt into wrestling that they are into some of the other IU non-top teir sports programs.

If this doesn’t happen I’m not seeing much changing soon in a post-Goldman era. Sure they may get a decent coach willing to grid it out and slowly grow the program to a mid-level Big 10 program. But in all likelihood he will get sick of that long grind and limited support which will lead to taking a better offer elsewhere when a top school with deep pockets see what he has done with those limited resource. IU has actually lucked out with Goldman being mostly grudging acceptance of its mediocre support. I doubt a new coach is willing to stay nearly as long as Goldman if he is placed under the same circumstances. If the new hiring and the following 4 years of his leadership doesn’t go well I would say IU would likely lose what little wrestling fan base they currently have.

Edited by MadMardigain

Which leads to what I think are the scarier questions to me:

1. When Goldman does end up leaving, does the IU administration have the ability to really see what a Big10 level wrestling coach looks like among possible applicants? One who can recruit the Midwest. One that can energize the fan base so the program gets support. One that can find the diamond in the rough and also develop talent to be better than projected. Maybe that’s not the hot name in coaching and I’m fine with that but it need to be someone that can make recruits believe in the program rather than picking IU so you can say you wrestled in the Big10. One that can make fans believe in the program rather than just following it due to it being one in their state. One that can make Alumni support and promote the program.

2. Is IU administration willing to put up the that will make a Big10 level wrestling coach want take the job? That likely includes having contracts available for two quality assistant coaches rather than the one main assistant coach pay they have had. Sure in its current state IU won’t be pulling in a top 10 coach, but they definitely can find a high quality coach willing to coach at a Big10 program if the admin. can show will back the program in a way that will make it competitive. They aren’t getting the money thrown in that the top programs have but they can get enough to improve competativeness and in some cases it’s not even about the actual dollars being thrown in its also about the promotion and support the administration can help with. Yeah wrestling’s not making IU big bucks but enough other things are that they can put some of the same funding and suppprt into wrestling that they are into some of the other IU non-top teir sports programs.

If this doesn’t happen I’m not seeing much changing soon in a post-Goldman era. Sure they may get a decent coach willing to grid it out and slowly grow the program to a mid-level Big 10 program. But in all likelihood he will get sick of that long grind and limited support which will lead to taking a better offer elsewhere when a top school with deep pockets see what he has done with those limited resource. IU has actually lucked out with Goldman being mostly grudging acceptance of its mediocre support. I doubt a new coach is willing to stay nearly as long as Goldman if he is placed under the same circumstances. If the new hiring and the following 4 years of his leadership doesn’t go well I would say IU would likely lose what little wrestling fan base they currently have.

To answer your questions here, #1, NO they do not, in any way have the ability to make a good hire. They know that and I know that. They did directly tell me that. And that goes along with the other thing they told me, directly, is Quote"we might bring in someone worse" unquote. And that is why they have not pushed the issue, with Duanes performance as a coach.  But I was in contact with the wrestling community,  over this conversation I had with the athletics director, and they offered assistance to search and hire a replacement, FREE, no conditions or strings attached.

Now this goes along with your #2 question, there was not a monetary road block with our conversation. Now, I'm sure ,the hire would get pay commensurate with his experience. but that was also mentioned. That they could bring in an experienced coach or a young coached, but would be well matched with the school and program. 

And to address your last statement , IU would likely lose what little wrestling fan base they currently have. UH, those 200 max people would will always be there no matter. So maybe take a chance? Up the ante, put on a good show at each home meet, and maybe improve attendance 100%,.

Edited by southend