Sign in to follow this  
Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Sadulaev news

He has a good gut wrench, but from a Saitiev point of view, where is his technique superior?  I think he is great, but I don't think his technique is huge like Saitiev who could kill from anywhere with various techniques that would baffle his opponent.  I see Sad getting a great takedown and turning the guy immediately.  He's tough as nails to score on but I would love to hear how his technique is superior.  I think he is just so athletic and that having average technique is good enough.  That's saying something really!  Not wanting a fight here, I would really like to know. 

mspart

Interestingly that thread (need to find it again) was also talking how Gadisov has better technique than Sadulaev. Sad is no Saitiev technically, he doesn't have the upper body attacks but he seems sound in all positions. Him and Snyder are similar in some sense, hard to score on, good positioning, etc. Sad probably is a little more varied technically. 

mspart, on 01 Nov 2017 - 5:37 PM, said:

He has a good gut wrench, but from a Saitiev point of view, where is his technique superior?  I think he is great, but I don't think his technique is huge like Saitiev who could kill from anywhere with various techniques that would baffle his opponent.  I see Sad getting a great takedown and turning the guy immediately.  He's tough as nails to score on but I would love to hear how his technique is superior.  I think he is just so athletic and that having average technique is good enough.  That's saying something really!  Not wanting a fight here, I would really like to know. 

mspart

I'm certainly not the technique expert here, but look at all of Sadulaev's scrambles over the years. Quick as a cat and powerful with excellent balance to almost always come out on top and score......and then the flawless transition to the killer gut.

I don't know, is his spatial awareness, balance and pulling the right triggers in scrambles considered technique or athleticism, or both?

Plus the fact that he was doing this against world class competition while undefeated for several years.

I'll go out on the limb and say Sadulaev is wonderful technician. 

A similar situation as Sudalaev, good action early and Fadzaev tired and got horsed at the end. Fadzaev has a super hard match with Varayev in the Soviet nationals as well.

To the subject at hand I think if Sudalaev stays light he will continue to have the same problem he did at this years Worlds.

You think if he goes down he will have conditioning issues, and if he goes up he'll have horsepower issues? Thats how I took that

Sadulaev’s technique is average??? That may be the stupidest thing I’ve ever read about wrestling. (Not directed at you wfan.)

LOL, I would guess these views are sectarian. At least I hope so because yeah, beyond absurd.

You think if he goes down he will have conditioning issues, and if he goes up he'll have horsepower issues? Thats how I took that

Both if upa weight. My bad for not being clearer. He never showed conditioning issues at 86. When you get gassed (defines my mediocre wrestling career) you get horsed no matter how technical you are, all other things being equal. Sudalaev gets gassed up at that weight. When we first had these match up conversations Sudalaev getting wore out wasn't at the front. After Russian nationals it was. Sudalaev's rather lackluster showing in the semi's wasn't so much of him not being capable of doing better as it was conserving energy. It was a good idea that he almost pulled off. Edited by sgallan

I'm certainly not the technique expert here, but look at all of Sadulaev's scrambles over the years. Quick as a cat and powerful with excellent balance to almost always come out on top and score......and then the flawless transition to the killer gut.

I don't know, is his spatial awareness, balance and pulling the right triggers in scrambles considered technique or athleticism, or both?

Plus the fact that he was doing this against world class competition while undefeated for several years.

I'll go out on the limb and say Sadulaev is wonderful technician.

As with most of the greats his technique is subtle. His ties are the recent technique grasping a pressure point and almost massaging it, Snyder does this well too, and then a change off. Cuffing is the best way I can describe it. Looks easy but few can do it well. He stays in control of position so it looks like a athletic scramble but it is a scramble that he has drilled because he keeps position, Snyder does this too but Sadulaev is better at this. Sadulaevs transition to the gut is off scale. Probably best ever. And he can get it from stasis as well. I consider tactics as technique and his is spot on. He was ready for Snyder and it was working save he gassed out. Elbow passing at the level he does it, and how easy he makes it look, all great technique looks like anybody can do it, is a subtle go to move that works a lot. I could go on and on.

Thanks, I don't think a discussion of his technique has much happened here.  His ability to gut wrench is pretty good.  I did not watch the 2017 championships.  Was he able to pull gut wrenches off at 97 like he was able to at 86?

mspart

Can we really label Sadulaev`s technique as average? Well, congratulations to him for getting above average results with average technique.

No. It is a ridiculous point.

You don’t avoid takedowns from the best in the world with average technique.

You don’t get takedowns into guts against the best in the world with average technique.

He is almost never out of position. His counters are some of the best in the world. His transitions are the best in the world.

Also for all the weight Sadulaev gave up it was a very very close match v Snyder. It was only toward the end when Sad was getting worn down did I think that the weight was, well, starting to weigh on him. Put it this way, if Sadulaev had come into the match an underdog I think a lot of us would be saying he had closed in and Snyder better watch out.

STUNNINGLY good post. Not that your post aren't good but this one is that good. My son and I are enormous Snyder fans. But he had everything going for him in the right direction and Sadulaev seemed to have a lot going against him (up a weight, very little mat time, marriage, etc) and it's still took a late takedown to win. It's like NFL teams who win a game on a last-second kick after playing like **** all game and all of a sudden people think they are a lot better than they really are. The making of one last second field goal doesn't change how you played. The last-second takedown, while it gives Snyder the victory, does not erase the fact that said July I've had moved up a weight and was Within 30 seconds or so of beating Schneider. Yes, I realize strength and conditioning matter and the matches are 6 minutes long. I get it. But there are a lot of areas where Sadulaev has an edge over Snyder. Fast forward 2 or 3 years and who do you think is going to improve more? I hope he stays up at 97 kg because I think it makes for a better sport but I think the results forthcoming are still well up in the air.

STUNNINGLY good post. Not that your post aren't good but this one is that good. My son and I are enormous Snyder fans. But he had everything going for him in the right direction and Sadulaev seemed to have a lot going against him (up a weight, very little mat time, marriage, etc) and it's still took a late takedown to win. It's like NFL teams who win a game on a last-second kick after playing like **** all game and all of a sudden people think they are a lot better than they really are. The making of one last second field goal doesn't change how you played. The last-second takedown, while it gives Snyder the victory, does not erase the fact that said July I've had moved up a weight and was Within 30 seconds or so of beating Schneider. Yes, I realize strength and conditioning matter and the matches are 6 minutes long. I get it. But there are a lot of areas where Sadulaev has an edge over Snyder. Fast forward 2 or 3 years and who do you think is going to improve more? I hope he stays up at 97 kg because I think it makes for a better sport but I think the results forthcoming are still well up in the air.

Sadulev is small for 97 kg. He didn't look like the same wrestler we saw at 86kg.

Two great young talents. I love both of these tremendous competitors!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I hope he gets big enough for the weight. For now he will will struggle against Snyder until he does so. He may sneak a win at a Yarygin, but in the big events Snyder will go to the same game plan and I do not see how Sudalaev came over come it against another probable in the conversation GOAT. I mean Snyder has gassed, lifted, pressured, and beat late, pretty decent guys who out weigh him by a lot. By pressure, position, and something you can't really coach, composure. He doesn't get rattled. He sticks to the game plan. Adjusts in in subtle ways, and it usually works, like Smith did, and JB still does. All time greats see things different. This is the same across all sports. Gotta watch a LOT of of video's to see this.  

btw, speaking of weight...Makhov just crushed Baytsev last week...tech fall.

And Baytsev is a big 97kg who got 2nd at Russian nationals.

Weight does matter for sure at this level.

I still think Sad will be world champion in 2018, however, he should not continue at 97kg. It really makes no sense.

Also, I don't know why people said he has average technique. The comment was more like: 

he just has  a good gut wrench and single leg, but no throws, no double legs, etc.

As with most of the greats his technique is subtle. His ties are the recent technique grasping a pressure point and almost massaging it, Snyder does this well too, and then a change off. Cuffing is the best way I can describe it. Looks easy but few can do it well. He stays in control of position so it looks like a athletic scramble but it is a scramble that he has drilled because he keeps position, Snyder does this too but Sadulaev is better at this. Sadulaevs transition to the gut is off scale. Probably best ever. And he can get it from stasis as well. I consider tactics as technique and his is spot on. He was ready for Snyder and it was working save he gassed out. Elbow passing at the level he does it, and how easy he makes it look, all great technique looks like anybody can do it, is a subtle go to move that works a lot. I could go on and on.

Another excellent post. We need to hear more from some of you quiet guys and less from some of the big mouths who run their mouth all the time and are like William Faulkner said "Full of Sound and Fury and signifying nothing"

Didn't Sad weigh in at 94 kilos at worlds?  True competitor if he wants to stay at 97 but he literally has no reason to outside of avenging his loss.  He is probably small for 92 kilos let alone 97 if he's 94 on full feed...