• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,086 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 01:56 PM

STUNNINGLY good post. Not that your post aren't good but this one is that good. My son and I are enormous Snyder fans. But he had everything going for him in the right direction and Sadulaev seemed to have a lot going against him (up a weight, very little mat time, marriage, etc) and it's still took a late takedown to win. It's like NFL teams who win a game on a last-second kick after playing like **** all game and all of a sudden people think they are a lot better than they really are. The making of one last second field goal doesn't change how you played. The last-second takedown, while it gives Snyder the victory, does not erase the fact that said July I've had moved up a weight and was Within 30 seconds or so of beating Schneider. Yes, I realize strength and conditioning matter and the matches are 6 minutes long. I get it. But there are a lot of areas where Sadulaev has an edge over Snyder. Fast forward 2 or 3 years and who do you think is going to improve more? I hope he stays up at 97 kg because I think it makes for a better sport but I think the results forthcoming are still well up in the air.

I hope he gets big enough for the weight. For now he will will struggle against Snyder until he does so. He may sneak a win at a Yarygin, but in the big events Snyder will go to the same game plan and I do not see how Sudalaev came over come it against another probable in the conversation GOAT. I mean Snyder has gassed, lifted, pressured, and beat late, pretty decent guys who out weigh him by a lot. By pressure, position, and something you can't really coach, composure. He doesn't get rattled. He sticks to the game plan. Adjusts in in subtle ways, and it usually works, like Smith did, and JB still does. All time greats see things different. This is the same across all sports. Gotta watch a LOT of of video's to see this.  

#42 wfan24

wfan24

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 05:58 AM

btw, speaking of weight...Makhov just crushed Baytsev last week...tech fall.

And Baytsev is a big 97kg who got 2nd at Russian nationals.

Weight does matter for sure at this level.

I still think Sad will be world champion in 2018, however, he should not continue at 97kg. It really makes no sense.

Also, I don't know why people said he has average technique. The comment was more like: 

he just has  a good gut wrench and single leg, but no throws, no double legs, etc.

#43 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 10:22 AM

Saduleav has no technique, he's out of shape, the bridge of his nose is too small....

Edited by hammerlockthree, 06 November 2017 - 10:22 AM.

• Eagle26 likes this

#44 ConnorsDad

ConnorsDad

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 04:50 PM

As with most of the greats his technique is subtle. His ties are the recent technique grasping a pressure point and almost massaging it, Snyder does this well too, and then a change off. Cuffing is the best way I can describe it. Looks easy but few can do it well. He stays in control of position so it looks like a athletic scramble but it is a scramble that he has drilled because he keeps position, Snyder does this too but Sadulaev is better at this. Sadulaevs transition to the gut is off scale. Probably best ever. And he can get it from stasis as well. I consider tactics as technique and his is spot on. He was ready for Snyder and it was working save he gassed out. Elbow passing at the level he does it, and how easy he makes it look, all great technique looks like anybody can do it, is a subtle go to move that works a lot. I could go on and on.

Another excellent post. We need to hear more from some of you quiet guys and less from some of the big mouths who run their mouth all the time and are like William Faulkner said "Full of Sound and Fury and signifying nothing"

#45 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:17 AM

we definitely need more william faulkner references. 

• Yellow_Medal likes this

#46 BigTimeFan

BigTimeFan

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,582 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:40 AM

we definitely need more william faulkner references. 

We could start with one. That was Shakespeare. 

#47 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 04:55 AM

The Sound and Fury is Faulkner's novel. Was he quoting shakespeare in his title?

#48 BigTimeFan

BigTimeFan

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,582 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:15 AM

The Sound and Fury is Faulkner's novel. Was he quoting shakespeare in his title?

Yessir. The Sound and Fury quote is from Macbeth and Faulkner was referring the play. I'm no expert though.

#49 mspart

mspart

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:31 AM

Guys, this is a wrestling forum.  Not a literary forum.  And the subject is a Russian monster, not who wrote what.  :)

#50 Gantry

Gantry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,657 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:01 AM

Didn't Sad weigh in at 94 kilos at worlds?  True competitor if he wants to stay at 97 but he literally has no reason to outside of avenging his loss.  He is probably small for 92 kilos let alone 97 if he's 94 on full feed...

• cjc007 likes this

#51 wfan24

wfan24

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:38 AM

I've heard he was ~92kg for the match. He probably easily gave up 10kg wrestling up in that class. 

Reading the Russian interview, there is something deeply unclear why Sad is at 97kg to start with. Seem people are for, some were strongly against, etc. Sad himself doesn't seem to care.

#52 mspart

mspart

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:05 AM

Even undersized, he easily took 2nd and almost got 1st.  Kind of like Adam Saitiev.  There was another monster. 

mspart

#53 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:53 AM

so you are saying his technique doesn't suck?

#54 2td3nf

2td3nf

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:05 PM

mspart, on 07 Nov 2017 - 7:05 PM, said:

Even undersized, he easily took 2nd and almost got 1st.  Kind of like Adam Saitiev.  There was another monster. 

mspart

Right, and Sadulaev had to wrestle 5 matches in Paris whereas the #1 seed Snyder only had to wrestle 4 matches in Paris. 

And going back to 2017 Russian Nationals, an undersized Sadulaev teched his way to the finals (going off top of my head, might be wrong here) but just squeaked by a much bigger Batsaev 8-7 to win Russian National gold up at 97kg. After seeing that result it was obvious that Sadulaev was not as invincible up at 97 as he was at 86. (I know, the post Olympic year, his wedding, lack of training, etc may have been a factor too.)

Fast forward to Paris and we do get our blockbuster final with 2 of the best p4p's battling for the 97kg World championship belt as well as a Russia vs USA team title up for grabs. Snyder beats Sadulaev and ends the Russian's long and dominant winning streak.

So yes, it will be real interesting to see if Sadulaev stays up at 97kg and will be real fun if we get a Sadulaev vs Snyder rematch at the Yarygin or maybe even at 2018 Worlds.

Sadulaev is still one of the best p4p, but the fact that Kyle already beat him (with everything on the line), plus the size difference should make Snyder a very tough opponent for Sadulaev to beat in the future. 

Should be fascinating to see how this plays out between 2 of the best wrestlers on the planet.

• Yellow_Medal likes this

#55 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,086 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:13 PM

Right, and Sadulaev had to wrestle 5 matches in Paris whereas the #1 seed Snyder only had to wrestle 4 matches in Paris.

And going back to 2017 Russian Nationals, an undersized Sadulaev teched his way to the finals (going off top of my head, might be wrong here) but just squeaked by a much bigger Batsaev 8-7 to win Russian National gold up at 97kg. After seeing that result it was obvious that Sadulaev was not as invincible up at 97 as he was at 86. (I know, the post Olympic year, his wedding, lack of training, etc may have been a factor too.)

Fast forward to Paris and we do get our blockbuster final with 2 of the best p4p's battling for the 97kg World championship belt as well as a Russia vs USA team title up for grabs. Snyder beats Sadulaev and ends the Russian's long and dominant winning streak.

So yes, it will be real interesting to see if Sadulaev stays up at 97kg and will be real fun if we get a Sadulaev vs Snyder rematch at the Yarygin or maybe even at 2018 Worlds.

Sadulaev is still one of the best p4p, but the fact that Kyle already beat him (with everything on the line), plus the size difference should make Snyder a very tough opponent for Sadulaev to beat in the future.

Should be fascinating to see how this plays out between 2 of the best wrestlers on the planet.

I look at the, bad draw, tougher draw, harder matches, thing as excuses. If you are the best pound for pound guy, going into a tournament, you get what you get. Everybody, and there brother, sister, cousin, uncle, and aunt, makes these excuses. The one person who hasn't done so is Sadulaev. He may have suggested his preparation was off, but didn't go to the other stuff. Silliness and absurd to make those excuses. Discussion board fodder and butt hurt folks who can't except he lost, and nothing more.

#56 BigTimeFan

BigTimeFan

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,582 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:55 PM

Guys, this is a wrestling forum.  Not a literary forum.  And the subject is a Russian monster, not who wrote what.  :)

That's hysterical. We have a reputation to keep up on these boards. No more soft talk. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users