re Lehigh, Letters as well. Senior year he was not nearly the same wrestler due to injury.  

I think Letters health may have begun to deteriorate his junior year, not middle of senior year. He "began" the season by hammering Churella, and finished it edging him 7-5. If I am correct that neither season was as healthy as his sophomore year he goes 2-1-1-1. probably edging Caruso as Lehigh's greatest wrestler..But his problem was almost certainly injury, (trauma,) not medical (health). Trenge, Meyes, Hess, and possibly Ruppel. Many LU guys careers were hampered or injured, ranging during my fan-time from Jon Rushatz to Dylan Milonas. But every team has serious injuries. However 3 very blue chip guys going down with a pure medical problem in a dozen years seems unprecedented.   

I think Letters health may have begun to deteriorate his junior year, not middle of senior year. He "began" the season by hammering Churella, and finished it edging him 7-5. If I am correct that neither season was as healthy as his sophomore year he goes 2-1-1-1. probably edging Caruso as Lehigh's greatest wrestler..But his problem was almost certainly injury, (trauma,) not medical (health). Trenge, Meyes, Hess, and possibly Ruppel. Many LU guys careers were hampered or injured, ranging during my fan-time from Jon Rushatz to Dylan Milonas. But every team has serious injuries. However 3 very blue chip guys going down with a pure medical problem in a dozen years seems unprecedented.

Ahhh.. Letters.. I'll never forget when Matt Lackey hit that ridiculous footsweep to send Letters flying. It was better than any of Mocco's footsweeps!

ahh, I just jumped on the Lehigh thing and didn't really digest the rest. that said...detached retina an injury/trauma or a medical/health issue? 

ahh, I just jumped on the Lehigh thing and didn't really digest the rest. that said...detached retina an injury/trauma or a medical/health issue? 

Always described as medical, because it appeared to be the same in both eyes, and for other reason. I understand Jon never had good vision. A natural ref :-)

Rondo Fehlberg, All American for BYU.

His final year on the team, Rondo had a 23-2 record, including 14 pins, taking him to the NCAA championships in College Park, Maryland, in March, 1972. There he raced to the quarterfinals where he faced the previous season's second place NCAA finisher.

During the match Rondo suffered an uncommon wrestling injury, tearing cartilage in his knee and pulling the hamstring muscle in his upper leg. Defaulting the match, Rondo was taken to a local hospital and treated.

His drive to compete wouldn't let him stay down, however. Borrowing a pair of crutches that same day, he discharged himself, returned to the tournament, and convinced another team's physician to splint the injured leg so he could continue. Grappling on one good leg, he won two more matches, wrestling his way to a 5th place national finish and an All-American ranking.

And then as the AD at BYU dropped wrestling.  

My wife is a visceral retinal surgeon. Individuals that are highly myopic (extreme nearsightedness) are at higher risk of retinal detachments.

http://www.allaboutvision.com/parents/myopia-progression.htm

Article published at the end of Trenge’s Frosh season:

http://articles.mcall.com/2001-02-27/sports/3343677_1_eye-belt-retina

"Because I'm so nearsighted, the eye is more oblong and it's more susceptible to damage," Trenge said.

The belt may cause his eye to be distorted even more.

"My eyes are really bad," Trenge said. "Everyone knows about Tristan Boyd and how bad his eyes are," Trenge said referring to one of Lehigh's lightweight wrestlers. "His are 20-400. Mine are 20-950 in the right eye and 20-925 in the left. It's ridiculous."

Trenge said if he wore glasses, they'd have to be so thick, it wouldn't allow for any distance between his eye and the lens. So he wears contact lenses constantly and can't wrestle without them.

"If I lose one, I get dizzy," he said. "Without them, my opponent would only be a blur and I couldn't see the lines on the mat to line up. I couldn't see my coach or the scoreboard."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by lu_alum

Disagree about your comment regarding Letters’ JR season. He went into NCAA undefeated (22-0), with 18 bonus wins. Two of his four non-bonus wins were over that year’s champ, Johny Hendricks. The line in the sand for Troy’s career was the injury that incurred at the Scuffle.

http://www.wrestlingstats.com/lehigh/view_wrestlers.php?wrestler=733

With respect to other Lehigh injury casualties, don’t forget Mike Pirrozzola (rib) and Tommy Rohn (neck).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by lu_alum

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Milo of Croton whose career was cut short when he attempted to tear a tree apart with his bare hands.  Unfortunately, his hands became trapped in a crevice in the tree's trunk, and a pack of wolves surprised and devoured him.

Terrible injury - and an awful way to end one's career.

In 1966, a high school sophomore named Siddidi Finch, an adopted Iranian-born foster child from Oak Park, Illinois, whose parents died in a plane crash near Nepal, entered the Tbilisi tournament in Georgia and won... defeating 5-time world champ Ali Aliyev.  He was denied the championship' however, when it was discovered he did not meet the minimum age requirement of 18 years.

He never wrestled in high school folk style matches and only pursued freestyle. The majority of his training during his teen years occurred in Japan, where he was coached by the father of Yojiro Uetake Obata, and accompanied the elder Uetake on many trips to Tibet to learn yogic mastery of mind-body under the great poet-saint Lama Milaraspa.  The elder Uetake when asked about the wrestling skills of the teenage Finch, stated:  "Siddidi has taught my son, Yojiro, many skills."

He did however, after graduating high school, walk on at Portland State university, where he twice defeated Rick Sanders in wrestle offs, but was denied a starting spot in the line up because of "academic performance"... The truth is, Finch rarely attended classes, other than to take exams, and in fact his GPA was a 4.0, but the University staff frowned on his absences from the classroom.

After the debacle at Portland State, Finch decided not to pursue a wrestling career, instead choosing to play the French horn or golf or something.  What if.... Imagine how great he would have been.

Below is the only known photo of Finch, sparring with Yojo, taken by his father:

38367307145_7313a6b19d_o_d.jpg

In 1966, a high school sophomore named Siddidi Finch, an adopted Iranian-born foster child from Oak Park, Illinois, whose parents died in a plane crash near Nepal, entered the Tbilisi tournament in Georgia and won... defeating 5-time world champ Ali Aliyev.  He was denied the championship' however, when it was discovered he did not meet the minimum age requirement of 18 years.

He never wrestled in high school folk style matches and only pursued freestyle. The majority of his training during his teen years occurred in Japan, where he was coached by the father of Yojiro Uetake Obata, and accompanied the elder Uetake on many trips to Tibet to learn yogic mastery of mind-body under the great poet-saint Lama Milaraspa.  The elder Uetake when asked about the wrestling skills of the teenage Finch, stated:  "Siddidi has taught my son, Yojiro, many skills."

He did however, after graduating high school, walk on at Portland State university, where he twice defeated Rick Sanders in wrestle offs, but was denied a starting spot in the line up because of "academic performance"... The truth is, Finch rarely attended classes, other than to take exams, and in fact his GPA was a 4.0, but the University staff frowned on his absences from the classroom.

After the debacle at Portland State, Finch decided not to pursue a wrestling career, instead choosing to play the French horn or golf or something.  What if.... Imagine how great he would have been.

Below is the only known photo of Finch, sparring with Yojo, taken by his father:

Brilliance!

In 1966, a high school sophomore named Siddidi Finch, an adopted Iranian-born foster child from Oak Park, Illinois, whose parents died in a plane crash near Nepal, entered the Tbilisi tournament in Georgia and won... defeating 5-time world champ Ali Aliyev. He was denied the championship' however, when it was discovered he did not meet the minimum age requirement of 18 years.

He never wrestled in high school folk style matches and only pursued freestyle. The majority of his training during his teen years occurred in Japan, where he was coached by the father of Yojiro Uetake Obata, and accompanied the elder Uetake on many trips to Tibet to learn yogic mastery of mind-body under the great poet-saint Lama Milaraspa. The elder Uetake when asked about the wrestling skills of the teenage Finch, stated: "Siddidi has taught my son, Yojiro, many skills."

After the debacle at Portland State, Finch decided not to pursue a wrestling career, instead choosing to play the French horn or golf or something. What if.... Imagine how great he would have been.

The man in the photo... I recognize him from somewhere.

I know we're talking about college here, but Joe Heskett on the senior level.

Heskett only lost 3 times at natty finishing 3-2-2-1

He competed his whole life with an undiagnosed heart defect that did not fully surface until post college when he ramped up his international training.

He was more sought after than Cael — we (isu) didn’t need to recruit Cael. We had him secured by awarding skollies to his older brothers Cole & Cody.

Hesket had defeated Cael in HS.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Milo of Croton whose career was cut short when he attempted to tear a tree apart with his bare hands.  Unfortunately, his hands became trapped in a crevice in the tree's trunk, and a pack of wolves surprised and devoured him.

Terrible injury - and an awful way to end one's career.

Milo had already retired before being eaten by wolves. In his last Olympic match, neither had "thrown" the other, but he was to exhausted to continue.

The Greatest wrestler of ancient times was also a Philosopher. The greatest Philosopher, Plato, was also a wrestler of some note,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

To LuAlum. "Disagree about your comment regarding Letters’ JR season. He went into NCAA undefeated (22-0), with 18 bonus wins. Two of his four non-bonus wins were over that year’s champ, Johny Hendricks. The line in the sand for Troy’s career was the injury that incurred at the Scuffle." I just felt Troy looked less sharp as the season went along. In the beginning he took down Churella like 6 times( the weakest part of TL's game). But latter he was not so sharp, ending up only beating Churella by 2

-----------------------------

In Fairness to Rhondo Fehlburg, did he not immediately resign as BYU-AD after wrestling dropped, In disgust. 

Bryce Brill at Northwestern is a guy I was really psyched to see. A neck is nothing to mess with. Awesome kid, too.

Was Alex Tirapelle injured after his freshman year runner-up finish?

This was unfortunate as he really never begun.