Sign in to follow this  
techniquemakesemweak

Who was the best wrestler from each school (all-time)!

Until Robert Parish gave Laimbeer a little payback with a cross face that wasn't cross, but right in the middle of the face.

That era was the golden era of the NBA.

Lambeer blasting Bird was an all time sports moment for me.

Too bad the league went wimp.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Buddy Lee is an impressive guy. He came to my high school practices a few times in the late 80s while he was at Quantico and training to make the Olympic team. He put on some jump rope exhibitions and helped out with the team. I saw him recently at Coach Legge's funeral and he still looked like he could do some damage. I believe he ended up placing 6th at the Olympics in Greco.

Buddy Lee - wow, haven't heard that name in a long time.  Props to the guys that remember him.  I couldn't stand him in college, very cocky, at a rival school - loved it one year when our guy pinned him in our annual dual. Of course, I learned down the road that Buddy Lee is one of the good guys (and my teammate, while good, never beat him again IIRC).  Years ago I saw a book on the shelves at Barnes and Noble, 'Jump Roping by Buddy Lee'.  I should have bought the book then, never found it again.  What did Lee wind up doing, BTW - did he make a career of the USMC?

American- Josh Glenn

Appalachian State- Austin Trotman

Arizona State-Dan St. John

Binghamton-Donald Vinson

Bloomsburg-RICKY BONOMO

Brown-Ophir Bernstein

Bucknell-Kevin LeValley

Buffalo-Kyle Cerminara

Cal Poly-BORIS NOVACHKOV 

Cal Bakersfield- Stephen Neal

Cal Fresno State- Stephen Abas

Cal Davis- Derek Moore

Campbell-Nathan Kraisser

Central Michigan-Casey Cunningham 

Citadel-Ugi Khishignyam

Clarion- Kurt Angle/ Wade Schalles 

Cleveland State-Dan Carcelli

Columbia-STEVE SANTOS 

Cornell- Kyle Dake

Davidson-

Drexel-Ryan Hluschak

Duke-Conner Hartmann

Eastern Michigan- Joel Smith

Edinboro- Josh Koscheck

Franklin & Marshall-Brian Brown 

Gardner- Webb-Austin Trott 

George Mason-John Curtis

Harvard-Jesse Jantzen

Hofstra-Nick Gallo

Illinois-Isaiah Martinez

Indiana- Joe Dubuque

Iowa- Lincoln McIlravy

Iowa State- Cael Sanderson

Kent State- Dustin Kilgore

Lehigh- Mike Caruso

Lock Haven-Cary Kolat

Maryland-Hudson Taylor

Michigan- Mark Churella

Michigan State- Greg Johnson

Minnesota- Damion Hahn

Missouri- Ben Askren

Nebraska-Jordan Burroughs

North Carolina State-Nick Gwiazdowski

North Carolina- Tj Jaworsky

North Dakota State-Steven Monk

Northern Colorado- Justin Gaethje

Northern Illinois-Roy Conrad

Northern Iowa-Bill Koll

Northwestern- Jake Herbert

Ohio State- Logan Stieber

Ohio-Jake Percival 

Oklahoma- Mark Schultz

Oklahoma State- Pat Smith

Old Dominion-Wayne Bright

Oregon State- Les Gutches

U Penn- Matt Velenti

Penn State- Zain Retherford

Pittsburgh-Pat Santoro 

Princeton-John Orr

Purdue-Chris Fleeger

Rider-Chad Walsh

Rutgers-Anthony  Ashnault

Sacred Heart-

South Dakota State- Seth Gross

Southern Illinois Edwardsville-Tim Wright

Stanford-Nick Amuchastegui

Tennessee Chattanooga-Charlie Heard

Air Force Academy-KEVIN HOY 

U.S. Military Academy West Point-Mike Natvig

U. S. Naval Academy-John Reich

Utah Valley-Ben Kjar

Virginia-Nick Sulzer 

VMI-Charlie Branch

Virginia Tech-DEVIN CARTER

West Virginia-Greg Jones

WIsconsin- Lee Kemp

Wyoming- Reese Andy

Programs No Longer Active

Syracuse-Gene Mills

Clemson- Sammy Henson

East Stoudsburg- Jack Cuvo

LSU-Kevin Jackson

Kentucky-

Slippery Rock-Stan Dziedzic

BYU-Aaron Holker

Portland State-Rick Sanders 

Toledo-

Eastern Illinois- Geno Savegnago

Grand Valley State-

Miami (Ohio)-

Oregon-Shane Webster

UCLA-Fred Bohna

California (Pa)-

Oakland Michigan-

Morgan State-

Northern Michigan-

Southern Connecticut State-

Cal State Sacramento-

Central Florida-

Youngstown State-

Southwest Missouri-

Southern Illinois Carbondale-Larry Kristoff 

Minnesota Morris- 

Many Others Sadly-

Edited by techniquemakesemweak

Gotta give Dave Auble an honorable mention for Cornell - 51-1 NCAA career record, two time undefeated NCAA champ, 1962 US freestyle champ and 4th at worlds, 1964 US Olympic team, and 4th at the Oympics - losing only to eventual champ Yojiro Uetake.

Edited by redblades

Sorry in advance for any typos but once again voice texting. It's not often I get to add to the conversation like this. As far as Army goes, one of my hometown boys Phillip Simpson.

Now let's get to Iowa. If you're talking college and everything beyond then it's probably Tom Brands. If you're talking just Iowa, then I would go with the Banach brother who won three titles. In fact, he might take it even if it was his entire career but certainly college. Three titles and a runner-up I think plus he was at a heavy weight which is much harder than the lower weights.

But what a great topic!

Sorry in advance for any typos but once again voice texting. It's not often I get to add to the conversation like this. As far as Army goes, one of my hometown boys Phillip Simpson.

Now let's get to Iowa. If you're talking college and everything beyond then it's probably Tom Brands. If you're talking just Iowa, then I would go with the Banach brother who won three titles. In fact, he might take it even if it was his entire career but certainly college. Three titles and a runner-up I think plus he was at a heavy weight which is much harder than the lower weights.

But what a great topic!

Yes, a few of us now-- have commented on this topic-- in a real positive way. Perhaps due to the fact that the topic is relevant to just about all of us.

I am currently 'thinking through' a possible post for near future. I get it ! You won't hold your breath.

University of Northern Iowa had two undefeated three time champs - Bill Koll and Keith Young. How do you pick one?

Koll was considered the more dominant of the two.  He had a higher pinning percentage than Young and the NCAA slam rule was changed because of him.  Koll was also the first 2x winner of the NCAA tournament MOW award.  I'd go with him. 

But what a great topic!

my only thing with Ed is he lost 3 times as a senior. greatest ever at Iowa and 3 losses in last season? but yeah he was a bad dude and this is a great topic. despite what I just said I do think Ed is on the short list along with Brands, Lincoln, Joe W, TJ W (only 2 titles, but only 1 career loss and best winning % has to count for something), Davis, and Zalesky (didn't he win out with like an 80 match win streak?) 

my only thing with Ed is he lost 3 times as a senior. greatest ever at Iowa and 3 losses in last season? but yeah he was a bad dude and this is a great topic. despite what I just said I do think Ed is on the short list along with Brands, Lincoln, Joe W, TJ W (only 2 titles, but only 1 career loss and best winning % has to count for something), Davis, and Zalesky (didn't he win out with like an 80 match win streak?)

Is that Zalesky that's the coach at Oregon State now?

Is that Zalesky that's the coach at Oregon State now?

yes and here's the college wrestling details from his Oregon St coaching bio>

'Zalesky wrestled for Iowa in the early 1980s and was a four-time All-American and three-time NCAA champion at 158 pounds, ending his Hawkeye career with an 89-match winning streak. He was named Outstanding Wrestler at the 1984 NCAA Championships and Amateur Wrestling News named him the Wrestler of the Decade for the 1980s'

http://www.osubeavers.com/coaches.aspx?rc=913&path=wrestling

'Zalesky wrestled for Iowa in the early 1980s and was a four-time All-American and three-time NCAA champion at 158 pounds, ending his Hawkeye career with an 89-match winning streak. He was named Outstanding Wrestler at the 1984 NCAA Championships and Amateur Wrestling News named him the Wrestler of the Decade for the 1980s'

Thank you. On a side note his brother, Lenny Zalesky, is the coach at perennial Division II power Cal Baptist. This is their last year in Division II. They will be going to division one next year but they will be ineligible for the postseason for 4 years.