Sign in to follow this  
WrestlingLife

Best Highschool Wrestler to not compete

Gosh i forgot about Jamie Clark. I really enjoyed watching him wrestle. Looks like he wrestled unattached for the Illini and then transfered to Kent State but no results. Tough break.

There’s an old video on flo of him teching dieringer at some Fargo qualifier back in the day.

True I watched Jameson wrestle cyler Sanderson. Did Hart or Doggett ever get varsity matches?

When Moore injured Doggett, believe it was during varsity competition?   Also for some reason I thought Jamie Clark had a year of varsity at Illinois but looks like I was wrong on that one.    

Always wondered how much Clark was cutting to make the St Edward line-up.  He was a nasty dude.  

Clark vs. DT - Ironman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbWlgfCRExA

Edited by stp

PA Guy named Paul Gemberling from Shikellamy. Shik politics kept him out of lineup as a Frosh and at the wrong weight as a Junior. Paulie gave Cuvo his final HS loss.

Paul Gemberling was a three-time District 4 Class AAA champion, a three-time Northeast regional place-winner, and a two-time PIAA place-winner, finishing fourth at 98 pounds in 1983 and capturing a state championship at 126 pounds in 1985. Gemberling currently coaches the Bison Wrestling Club.

As a sophomore, Gemberling defeated three-time state champion (and eventual two-time NCAA Division I champ) Jack Cuvo of Easton in the Top Hat Tournament in Williamsport. Gemberling handed Cuvo (139-2 career) not only one of his two losses in high school, but his last one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Luke Fickell . 3 time champ in ohio.2 time Fargo champ.Played football at Ohio State. Coached defense at Ohio State. Is now head coach at Cincinnati

I got berated on this forum for saying Fickell would have been a shoo-in to win a few NCAA titles, had he wrestled in College.  People reminded me that he would have had to beat McCoy.  Fine, but Fickell was a freaking stud and I still believe he would have won a few.  

I also posted this in the H.S. forum.  It totally applies:

I was watching UFC embedded. There was a scene where TJ Dillshaw was speaking with a Santa Ana, CA barbershop (The Main Cave) owner named Brian Moreno.  TJ mentioned him as a 3X California state champion.

One thing I really paid attention to was the fact Brian started wrestling his freshman year, lost almost all of his matches, but came back and won the big show 3 times in a row.

I've been to the CIF California state meet, it's difficult, it's a grind, it's NO JOKE.  We flew from PA to Bakersfield a couple years ago just to see what the big thing was with the California State Meet. And let me tell you- it seemed on the level of high school wrestling that most people should go and witness for themselves.  I'm talking every match looked to be a Division 1 brawl.  

Again, I'm not saying California as a whole is better......But, their state meet is definitely as tough or tougher than any PIAA state tourney I've had the opportunity to help with over the past 30 years. (Btw, we're traveling to Texas to check out their state meet this season.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, for this young man to have 1 year of wrestling under his belt - EVER.  Then comeback and win it 3 times is just INSANE!

Does anyone have any info on this Brian Moreno kid?  Why didn't he wrestle in college/ internationally? There would have been a definite upswing to this kid.  Probably the next big thing!  

Anybody know him personally?

I also posted this in the H.S. forum.  It totally applies:

I was watching UFC embedded. There was a scene where TJ Dillshaw was speaking with a Santa Ana, CA barbershop (The Main Cave) owner named Brian Moreno.  TJ mentioned him as a 3X California state champion.

One thing I really paid attention to was the fact Brian started wrestling his freshman year, lost almost all of his matches, but came back and won the big show 3 times in a row.

I've been to the CIF California state meet, it's difficult, it's a grind, it's NO JOKE.  We flew from PA to Bakersfield a couple years ago just to see what the big thing was with the California State Meet. And let me tell you- it seemed on the level of high school wrestling that most people should go and witness for themselves.  I'm talking every match looked to be a Division 1 brawl.  

Again, I'm not saying California as a whole is better......But, their state meet is definitely as tough or tougher than any PIAA state tourney I've had the opportunity to help with over the past 30 years. (Btw, we're traveling to Texas to check out their state meet this season.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, for this young man to have 1 year of wrestling under his belt - EVER.  Then comeback and win it 3 times is just INSANE!

Does anyone have any info on this Brian Moreno kid?  Why didn't he wrestle in college/ internationally? There would have been a definite upswing to this kid.  Probably the next big thing!  

A quick search of his name shows that he was a 112 lb senior, so it kind of makes sense that despite obviously being a talented wrestler, carrying over to college wrestling probably was going to be a struggle.

I also posted this in the H.S. forum. It totally applies:

I was watching UFC embedded. There was a scene where TJ Dillshaw was speaking with a Santa Ana, CA barbershop (The Main Cave) owner named Brian Moreno. TJ mentioned him as a 3X California state champion.

I've been to the CIF California state meet, it's difficult, it's a grind, it's NO JOKE. We flew from PA to Bakersfield a couple years ago just to see what the big thing was with the California State Meet. And let me tell you- it seemed on the level of high school wrestling that most people should go and witness for themselves. I'm talking every match looked to be a Division 1 brawl.

Anyway, for this young man to have 1 year of wrestling under his belt - EVER. Then comeback and win it 3 times is just INSANE!

Does anyone have any info on this Brian Moreno kid? Why didn't he wrestle in college/ internationally? There would have been a definite upswing to this kid. Probably the next big thing!

I saw the 1993 California State finals back in the day. It's incredible that Bayside High School was able to host such a monster tournament. One complaint I had though was how tiny the mat was. Go A.C. Slater! Dude was a beast... every match he won was like a 10 second pin! It's a shame he backed out of his scholarship to Iowa to go to California University... Edited by BigTenFanboy

I believe Luke Fickell pinned his way through  Fargo in both of his 1st place finishes.This was coming off his sophomore and junior years. Did not wrestle at Fargo his senior year. I think he would have given McCoy all he could handle. 

Luke wrestled Kerry McCoy as a freshman on 1/30/94 at St. John arena.  McCoy won 12-2.  I was there.

I believe that was Luke's first match as a Buckeye, and I'm not sure there were any more.  

McCoy himself was a sophomore when he beat Fickel, and he would go on to win the NCAA heavyweight title in March of 1994.

As a freshman, McCoy lost to Ohio State's Rex Holman in the 1993 NCAA's.  He also lost in the backs and didn't place.

In 1995, McCoy finished 3rd, losing to Justin Greenlee in the semis.  McCoy had a long win streak that was broken in that match.

McCoy didn't compete in 1996 and he won again in 1997.

Edited by TheOhioState

Luke wrestled Kerry McCoy as a freshman on 1/30/94 at St. John arena.  McCoy won 12-2.  I was there.

I believe that was Luke's first match as a Buckeye, and I'm not sure there were any more.  

McCoy himself was a sophomore when he beat Fickel, and he would go on to win the NCAA heavyweight title in March of 1994.

As a freshman, McCoy lost to Ohio State's Rex Holman in the 1993 NCAA's.  He also lost in the backs and didn't place.

In 1995, McCoy finished 3rd, losing to Justin Greenlee in the semis.  McCoy had a long win streak that was broken in that match.

McCoy didn't compete in 1996 and he won again in 1997.

Just curious as I thought Fickell never put on a Buckeye wrestling singlet?  Was Fickell a member of the team, or did he just come out and sub one match for the Bucks? 

Luke was on the football team and came out and subbed one match.Probably not  in best of shape or a good a good idea.

Would have loved to see Luke redshirt a year get some experience then wrestle Kerry McCoy. I believe they would have had some great matches. Kerry was a great hwy. My nephew was on the same Penn State team.

Edited by Paul158

PA Guy named Paul Gemberling from Shikellamy. Shik politics kept him out of lineup as a Frosh and at the wrong weight as a Junior. Paulie gave Cuvo his final HS loss.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like the call.  I think his teammate was also a state champ at least once(Reed?).  Interesting thing though about Gemberling is he got hammered by the AA champ,  DAve Kennedy who had a solid career in college but did not make All American.

I like the call.  I think his teammate was also a state champ at least once(Reed?).  Interesting thing though about Gemberling is he got hammered by the AA champ,  DAve Kennedy who had a solid career in college but did not make All American.

Tony Reed. He beat Mark Schwab at the Dapper Dan. Gemberling lost to John Epperly at same event.