Sign in to follow this  
Fletcher

Flo video of Gilman speech

I’ll probably take heat here but I really don’t care.

People giving Dresser and Schwab a “thumbs up” for being “mature” or above Gimans antics is a joke.

Bottom line. Dresser/Schwab been taking shots at Brands and Iowa for YEARS!

Gilman obviously offended by all the BS over the years, shows up and calls them out face to face. No key board warrior, no innuendos. Face to face, man to man everyone he called out. Basically, saying “you want to talk ****, here I am, let’s take it outside”. I appreciate that take

So before everyone gets on your high horses. Think of it from his perspective. For years, these two have been talking smack(not to someone’s face but on social

Media). Gilman comes and calls them out to settle it like men.

Call me old school or not politically correct but what Gilman did was straight up, old school stuff.

You want to talk smack on message boards, social media, interviews then don’t be surprised when you may get physically confronted. Dresser and Schwab clammed up real quick

Is it a good look for Iowa? Probably not. I don’t think Gilman was worried about that. He was going there to throw down verbally and physically

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People giving Dresser and Schwab a “thumbs up” for being “mature” or above Gimans antics is a joke.

Gilman obviously offended by all the BS over the years, shows up and calls them out face to face. No key board warrior, no innuendos. Face to face, man to man everyone he called out. Basically, saying “you want to talk ****, here I am, let’s take it outside”. I appreciate that take

So before everyone gets on your high horses. Think of it from his perspective. For years, these two have been talking smack(not to someone’s face but on social

Call me old school or not politically correct but what Gilman did was straight up, old school stuff.

You want to talk smack on message boards, social media, interviews then don’t be surprised when you may get physically confronted. Dresser and Schwab clammed up real quick

Is it a good look for Iowa? Probably not. I don’t think Gilman was worried about that. He was going there to throw down verbally and physically

Exactly why people think he is an immature idiot. 

Exactly why people think he is an immature idiot.

That’s what i don’t think you or others get. He don’t give a damn what you or others think. He was going there to settle it. They kept quiet. If they would have stepped up, fists would have been flying

If I’m at the point where I wanna fight (no more words). I’m not concerned with people saying I’m immature because I couldn’t use my words

Problem is every one of those Iowa State coaches could beat the tar out of Gilman; they just chose not to because they're adults.

Edited by Fletcher

1. Penn State 123 2. Oklahoma St. 97.5 3. Ohio St. 86 4. Virginia Tech 82 5. Iowa 81

This result from 2016 probably felt pretty good for VaTech. Pretty impressive for a team to lose their "superstar" head coach and well as have their recruits gutted from them only to rebound and finish ahead of the team that did the gutting and has refused to wrestle them since. Can't wait to see what Kevin Dresser can do with Iowa State.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

For a guy with zero NCAA titles to his name, he sure talks a lot

He doesn’t talk a lot. No social media. Only time he talks is when asked questions in interviews. He was there to fight make no mistake.

Give it up with the no NCAA thing. He was a beast in college and just won world silver.

Look at me a PSU guy defending Iowa. Lol

Problem is every one of those Iowa State coaches could beat the tar out of Gilman; they just chose not to because they're adults.

That’s your opinion. Bottom line we don’t know. One guy called them all outside and none took him up on it.

Secondly. I’m 47 yrs old. Haven’t been in a fistfight since I was 25. When I did fight I wasn’t worried about having the tar beat out of me. I only fought when I felt it was for a purpose (or drunk in my college years). Gilman went there with a purpose. The point wasn’t whether he can beat them all up. The point was enough talk. Let’s do this. Wanna bet Dresser and Schwab slow down their smack talk?

Surprised Downey didn’t go with him.

Edited by pish6969

"Bottom line. Dresser/Schwab been taking shots at Brands and Iowa for YEARS!"

None of those shots would have been fired if Brands would wrestle VaTech and UNI. You cant strut around and act like the best when you refuse to compete against "inferior" competition. To be the best you need to have a "Anyone, Anytime, Anyplace, Make No Excuses" mentality. Something that is missing from the Brands Era of Iowa Wrestling.

He doesn’t talk a lot. No social media. Only time he talks is when asked questions in interviews. He was there to fight make no mistake.

Give it up with the no NCAA thing. He was a beast in college and just won world silver.

Look at me a PSU guy defending Iowa. Lol

He talks enough. He's offered to meet people in the parking lot, disrespected older, seasoned coaches. Again, all of this with no gold. 

Edited by romesone

"Bottom line. Dresser/Schwab been taking shots at Brands and Iowa for YEARS!"

None of those shots would have been fired if Brands would wrestle VaTech and UNI. You cant strut around and act like the best when you refuse to compete against "inferior" competition. To be the best you need to have a "Anyone, Anytime, Anyplace, Make No Excuses" mentality. Something that is missing from the Brands Era of Iowa Wrestling.

I’m here to defend Gilman not Brands. I thought it was weak as hell how Iowa was scared to wrestle who they were supposed to in the National Duals. You are spot on

I’m saying if you’re Gilman and you felt disrespected, he handled it how he seemed fit

He talks enough. He's offered to meet people in the parking lot, disrespected older, seasoned coaches. Again, all of this with no gold. 

If he cant beat them on the mat, and If he cant beat them with logic or words, he'll beat them with his fists in the parking lot because that proves a lot.

I’m here to defend Gilman not Brands. I thought it was weak as hell how Iowa was scared to wrestle who they were supposed to in the National Duals. You are spot on

I’m saying if you’re Gilman and you felt disrespected, he handled it how he seemed fit

I get that but throwing out the whole "lets take this to the parking lot" attitude is a pretty weak defense to being called out. You call it "old school", I call it "I'm too stupid to come up with a legitimate excuse, so I'll fight you." Gilman was speaking on behalf of Tom Brands and Iowa. Therefore he was their spokesperson for the night. You said that Dresser and Schwab were cowards for not saying these things to Brands face to face. Here was the perfect opportunity for Brands to have that face to face talk and he was "too busy and had better things to do."

Edited by BigTenFanboy

And if Gilman thinks he's beating me in the parking lot, he's sadly mistaken. I grew up in the city - I can parallel park, double park, stack'em three deep... He's not winning that battle.

Easy to say that on a message board. Say it to his face and he'll meet you in that parking lot.

I get that but throwing out the whole "lets take this to the parking lot" attitude is a pretty weak defense to being called out. You call it "old school", I call it "I'm too stupid to come up with a legitimate excuse, so I'll fight you." do."

This right here is my argument. Many are killing him for being 23 yrs old. No one here was cocky at 23? Would rather settle things with fists instead of words at that age?

If so then I grew up in a different environment than most on these boards.

This right here is my argument. Many are killing him for being 23 yrs old. No one here was cocky at 23? Would rather settle things with fists instead of words at that age?

If so then I grew up in a different environment than most on these boards.

If you're saying he shouldn't be criticized because hes an immature and cocky 23 year old, then Iowa and Tom Brands shouldn't have sent an immature and cocky 23 year old to represent them to speak at this event because clearly hes not mature enough to handle it.

Easy to say that on a message board. Say it to his face and he'll meet you in that parking lot.

Just saying - if there's 20 luxury automobiles that need to be valet parked in a hurry, I'm not betting on the guy who's been driving a pick-up in Iowa for the last 5 yrs., fedora or not.

If you're saying he shouldn't be criticized because hes an immature and cocky 23 year old, then Iowa and Tom Brands shouldn't have sent an immature and cocky 23 year old to represent them to speak at this event because clearly hes not mature enough to handle it.

I’m not saying he shouldn’t be criticized. Obviously his antics were going to create a stir.

My goal was to not pile on. It was to try to look at it from his perspective.

I think I’ve done this in my posts on this thread.

I’m don’t with this thread as I don’t want to spend another minute defending an Iowa guy. Gave my opinion and now I’m moving on.

Sunday, Mark Hall and Nevills and next Thursday vs Army. That’s what’s got me excited

I’m not saying he shouldn’t be criticized. Obviously his antics were going to create a stir.

My goal was to not pile on. It was to try to look at it from his perspective.

I think I’ve done this in my posts on this thread.

I’m don’t with this thread as I don’t want to spend another minute defending an Iowa guy. Gave my opinion and now I’m moving on.

Sunday, Mark Hall and Nevills and next Thursday vs Army. That’s what’s got me excited

Seeing things from the POV of an immature 23 year old kid who would rather settle things in the parking lot if he cant beat you with words, logic, or on the mat is not a difficult thing to do. Its the reason why he's such a polarizing figure on these boards.

And yea.. Looking forward to Sunday.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

This is a good thing for wrestling. It brings some much needed hype. 

People like storylines. We want wrestling to move closer and closer to the mainstream, and this is how to do it. Look at MMA. Look at boxing. Look at BJJ. Wrestling is another combat sport, and should follow the model.

It is not a good thing for Iowa however. If I had a son who was being considered by top level D1 programs, I wouldn't want them looking up to people like Gilman. If he chose UNI or ISU, I would certainly be supportive.