Sign in to follow this  
Fletcher

Flo video of Gilman speech

You guys do get that Brands not wrestling VTech , UNI or maybe even soon to be ISU has NOTHING to do with fear don't you?  He doesn't want to help those programs and Iowa wrestling them does exactly that.  You may not like his reasoning, but don't act like he was afraid.  That is simply ignorant.  You want to call it selfish?  I could agree with that.  But, afraid?  Come on..................

If Iowa goes to UNI or VTech, they'll be expected to crush them. If the other team keeps it close or wins, then Iowa looks bad. I get that there's very little upside for Iowa to schedule these meets, but it's still driven by the fear that Iowa won't win in a dominant fashion.

If Iowa goes to UNI or VTech, they'll be expected to crush them. If the other team keeps it close or wins, then Iowa looks bad. I get that there's very little upside for Iowa to schedule these meets, but it's still driven by the fear that Iowa won't win in a dominant fashion.

Iowa is not expected to crush Virginia Tech, Va. Tech was one of the top programs in the country.  It was always going to be a tough dual.  Brands simply does not want to help out those programs.  I'm going to guess there's some personal enmity towards Va. Tech over the transfer situation.  As to UNI, there seems to have been issues w/ Scwhab and Brands since Schwab left.  The UNI dual, this is the only year in recent memory where there is any shot at it even being close, but he has refused to wrestle them for years leading up to it, when the dual would not have been close.

I don't like it, think it's selfish, but there isn't a need to fear, nor does it really track w/ reality.

You guys do get that Brands not wrestling VTech , UNI or maybe even soon to be ISU has NOTHING to do with fear don't you?  He doesn't want to help those programs and Iowa wrestling them does exactly that.  You may not like his reasoning, but don't act like he was afraid.  That is simply ignorant.  You want to call it selfish?  I could agree with that.  But, afraid?  Come on..................

Iowa is not expected to crush Virginia Tech, Va. Tech was one of the top programs in the country.  It was always going to be a tough dual.  Brands simply does not want to help out those programs.  I'm going to guess there's some personal enmity towards Va. Tech over the transfer situation.  As to UNI, there seems to have been issues w/ Scwhab and Brands since Schwab left.  The UNI dual, this is the only year in recent memory where there is any shot at it even being close, but he has refused to wrestle them for years leading up to it, when the dual would not have been close.

I don't like it, think it's selfish, but there isn't a need to fear, nor does it really track w/ reality.

Whatever they "actual reason" maybe, not wrestling them makes Iowa look like an "orange" and with that said, we live in a world where perception is reality. 

Whatever they "actual reason" maybe, not wrestling them makes Iowa look like an "orange" and with that said, we live in a world where perception is reality.

Only to the very weak minded that love watching the Kardashians and get their news from Twitter.

Demographics of those who get their news on Social Media.

http://www.journalism.org/2016/05/26/news-use-across-social-media-platforms-2016/

Verified over multiple sources, I wouldn't have a problem with it.  Otherwise, it is sort of like only getting your news from Fox News or CNN.  Remember there is your version, their version and then the truth.  Also, outside of that you can end up with misinformation or straight out lies............

The reason Brands gets so much heat is because he (and some of his wrestlers and fans) love the tuff guy rhetoric such as when he went on record as saying his team would take on anyone in the universe. Then he goes on to refuse to wrestle programs like Va Tech and UNI while lining up community and junior colleges. Furthermore, he should of been called out for agreeing to participate in national duals the past two years and then TWICE threatening to take his ball and go home if he didn't get his way. Gilman is just the latest incarnation of a dysfunctional program as he exhibit's the social skills of a Neanderthal. 

Edited by Flying-Tiger

The reason Brands gets so much heat is because he (and some of his wrestlers and fans) love their tuff guy rhetoric and Brands is on record as saying his team would take on anyone in the universe. Then he goes on to refuse to wrestle programs like Va Tech and UNI while lining up community and junior colleges. Fact of the matter is he should of been called out for agreeing to participate in national duals the past two years and then TWICE threatening to take his ball and go home if he didn't get his way.

I agree with this aspect of it. Thought it was the wrong way to handle all of it.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

He used the word on his podcast, then switched to oranges because he said his wife told him not to use the word anymore. Can't have it both ways, but I imagine this forum will find a way, since Iowa is involved....

The difference here though is that Dresser seemingly learned something from his priors...

Or it's easier to talk that way from a distance.

Could be. Or maybe it wasn't Dresser's wife alone who took umbrage with his use of the term. I bet someone within V Tech had a talk with him and he learned to better filter himself. Key being he obviously learned

Could be. Or maybe it wasn't Dresser's wife alone who took umbrage with his use of the term. I bet someone within V Tech had a talk with him and he learned to better filter himself. Key being he obviously learned

This was all in the same podcast. There was no time to talk to anyone. He used the word, then went with the euphemism.

This was all in the same podcast. There was no time to talk to anyone. He used the word, then went with the euphemism.

This is true, but you misunderstood what I was saying. I'm saying that I think one of his superiors spoke with him about calling someone a cat word while representing his institution and that is why he took the high road this time. It makes no difference to my conjecture if his wife did so before said podcast and the hypothetical administrator did so after. They can both still take umbrage with his use of the term, albeit at different points on the timeline of the oranges debacle.

Kevin Dresser literally called the Iowa staff pussies a year and a half ago, and everybody cheered on these boards. Spare me the sanctimony.

So this was while Gilman was in college, right? Did Dresser call Gilman a *****? Do you think Brands has not addressed this? Why would Gilman have anything to say about a fight between two guys that are not him?

You’re a smart guy, Vak. This isn’t on Dresser. Gilman’s ridiculous comments should not be ignored or bolstered by program homers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If he cant beat them on the mat, and If he cant beat them with logic or words, he'll beat them with his fists in the parking lot because that proves a lot.

Well as I've told some of my wrestlers over the years, if you can't beat them on the mat then the parking lot isn't a better option.  You probably lose to them at 2 sports in the same day.

Well as I've told some of my wrestlers over the years, if you can't beat them on the mat then the parking lot isn't a better option. You probably lose to them at 2 sports in the same day.

I agree. A teammate of mine back in the day would trash talk every kid that beat him and he would always say "yea he beat me in a wrestling match but if this was a real fight I would kick his ass" to which my response to him would always be "what makes you think it would be any different!"

Gilman is nuts. I actually feel kind of bad for him - the battle that must go on in his mind on a daily basis just to keep things between the proverbial lines must be intense.  I can't imagine how this is going to unravel after his competitive career is over.  Yikes.