Sign in to follow this  
Fletcher

Flo video of Gilman speech

Gilman is nuts. I actually feel kind of bad for him - the battle that must go on in his mind on a daily basis just to keep things between the proverbial lines must be intense.  I can't imagine how this is going to unravel after his competitive career is over.  Yikes. 

I would say he could transition into coaching but his attitude is going to hurt him a lot. He might not care about his image right now, but ADs will down the line.  He has all the accolades to jump into a very successful and lucrative coaching career (like Coleman Scott, Bill Zaddick, and the other athletes that win world/olympic medals). Videos like the one in this thread will only hurt him. I think the same problem is what held back Nick Simmons and led to his seeing the writing on the wall and leaving coaching. Most ADs just want a wrestling coach that is going to not get any bad press...and if they win some that's great too.  Those are the jobs that he is going to compete for.  

As a fan, I do not really care what he thinks.  I just want to see him win. 

I went into the Army at 19; got out at 21.  Looking back, I was still a kid when I got back to Columbus.  Learned a lot; still a kid.

I like Gilman.  He's no Rhodes Scholar, but he adds to the dialogue, and he's one hell of a wrestler.  

He's also smarter than we think.  You can't be one of the best in the world and not be paying attention to the details that get you there.

Is the sport better for having Thomas Gilman in it?  

Yes.

Do I cringe at times?  

Yep.

Would I like to meet him some day?

You bet.

And if Gilman thinks he's beating me in the parking lot, he's sadly mistaken. I grew up in the city - I can parallel park, double park, stack'em three deep... He's not winning that battle.

I heard a story years ago two city boys stopped in an old dive bar in the middle of the sticks in PA. It just turned out, it was a wrestling bar.

Long story short, the two city boys thought they could whip country boys....didn't happen. True story.

Didn't Flo just do a vid on Gillman, "love him or hate him?

Duh....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I heard a story years ago two city boys stopped in an old dive bar in the middle of the sticks in PA. It just turned out, it was a wrestling bar.

Long story short, the two city boys thought they could whip country boys....didn't happen. True story.

Duh....

Why were the country boys so good at parking?  Do wrestlers make the best car parkers?

Duh....

Good stuff

Maybe part of Gilman's lashing out at Schwab and Dresser has something to do with their respective college careers.  The latter two coaches wrestled back in the era when Iowa was dominating college wrestling.  They were both individual NCAA champs, as well as members of national championship teams.  Gilman never accomplished either of those goals.

Would of loved to hear the pep talk Brands gave to Gilman heading to this event. 

He showed him a clip from The Season ........ "you got to be an a-hole, you got to be a dick" 

Hey Turk, guess I was right not to jump on to the Gilman bandwagon when he made Team USA:

People say I didn't like you in college but now ur on team USA and I love you... Gilman responded by saying "You know what I say to that? F*** You!"

Edited by Flying-Tiger