• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fanta

fanta

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 12:56 AM

I was watching UFC embedded. There was a scene where TJ Dillshaw was speaking with a Santa Ana, CA barbershop (The Main Cave) owner named Brian Moreno.  TJ mentioned him as a 3X California state champion.

One thing I really paid attention to was the fact Brian started wrestling his freshman year lost almost all of his matches but came back and won the big show 3 times in a row.

I've been to the CIF California state meet, it's difficult, it's a grind, it's NO JOKE.  We flew from PA to Bakersfield a couple years ago just to see what the big thing was with the California State Meet. And let me tell you- it seemed on the level of high school wrestling that most people should go and witness for themselves.  I'm talking every match looked to be a Division 1 brawl.  

Again, I'm not saying California as a whole is better......But, their state meet is definitely as tough or tougher than any PIAA state tourney I've had the opportunity to help with over the past 30 years. (Btw, we're traveling to Texas to check out their state meet this season.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, for this young man to have 1 year of wrestling under his belt - EVER.  Then comeback and win it 3 times is just INSANE!

Does anyone have any info on this Brian Moreno kid?  Why didn't he wrestle in college/ internationally? There would have been a definite upswing to this kid.  Probably the next big thing!  

Anybody know him personally?

Edited by fanta, 03 November 2017 - 12:57 AM.

#2 superbowlhomeboy

superbowlhomeboy

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 02:49 AM

He was a stud who, I believe, did not have the grades to go D1. He was very, very good but not a world beater and was overshadowed by guys like Nickerson, Schlatter, Metcalf, and Patrick Bond at the time. 

#3 Coach_Al

Coach_Al

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 05:15 PM

I was watching UFC embedded. There was a scene where TJ Dillshaw was speaking with a Santa Ana, CA barbershop (The Main Cave) owner named Brian Moreno.  TJ mentioned him as a 3X California state champion.

One thing I really paid attention to was the fact Brian started wrestling his freshman year lost almost all of his matches but came back and won the big show 3 times in a row.

I've been to the CIF California state meet, it's difficult, it's a grind, it's NO JOKE.  We flew from PA to Bakersfield a couple years ago just to see what the big thing was with the California State Meet. And let me tell you- it seemed on the level of high school wrestling that most people should go and witness for themselves.  I'm talking every match looked to be a Division 1 brawl.  

Again, I'm not saying California as a whole is better......But, their state meet is definitely as tough or tougher than any PIAA state tourney I've had the opportunity to help with over the past 30 years. (Btw, we're traveling to Texas to check out their state meet this season.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, for this young man to have 1 year of wrestling under his belt - EVER.  Then comeback and win it 3 times is just INSANE!

Does anyone have any info on this Brian Moreno kid?  Why didn't he wrestle in college/ internationally? There would have been a definite upswing to this kid.  Probably the next big thing!  

Anybody know him personally?

Brian Moreno was the real deal in high school. The following is a list of Brian's achievements while attending Foothill High School in Santa Ana.

- 3x California State Champion 2003 - '05
- NHSCA Senior National Champion '05
- ASICS All-American - Second Team '05
- Wrestling USA Dream Team '05
- Amateur Wrestling News First Team '05

Coach Al

#4 LoStNuMbEr

LoStNuMbEr

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,154 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 04:11 AM

I can speak from experience on this topic.  I started wrestling in highschool and lost almost all of my matches my first year. My second year I came back and.... lost maybe only half of my matches.

Yeah it turns out wrestling is really hard and its not that easy to be a state champ.  Go figure

• Threadkilla likes this

#5 MinnesotaWrestling

MinnesotaWrestling

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 06:25 PM

I can speak from experience on this topic.  I started wrestling in highschool and lost almost all of my matches my first year. My second year I came back and.... lost maybe only half of my matches.

Yeah it turns out wrestling is really hard and its not that easy to be a state champ.  Go figure

Honest question Jackson, how many varsity matches did you wrestle in your career? You never wrestled any post-season matches.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users