Sign in to follow this  
headshuck

Daktronics event

Taylor Venz and Mitch McKee were probably the two most dominant at the event.  Minny is getting an instant title contender in a year with Gable Steveson.  I was a little disappointed not to see Jason Renteria and Beau Breske, but I am sure they have their reasons for not attending.  I really have no idea what Nebraska is going to do long term with Berger/White/Breske/Labriola/Venz/Schultz.  That's six young studs, each one of them potential AA caliber wrestlers, for 5 spots.

Gable Steveson ran through the field like a hot knife through butter. Anyone know the creds of the guys he beat? How meaningful was it?

Rylee Streifel was probably the best guy and he was 18-8 last year. Steveson beat Streifel worse than guys like Jensen, Vollaro and DeJournette beat him FWIW. 

Rylee Streifel was probably the best guy and he was 18-8 last year. Steveson beat Streifel worse than guys like Jensen, Vollaro and DeJournette beat him FWIW. 

Thanks TBar. I watched the Streifel match but didn't know what level he was. Streifel didn't score a single offensive point. It was pretty amazing. 

Edited by BigTimeFan

Thanks TBar. I watched the Streifel match but didn't know what level he was. Streifel didn't score a single offensive point. It was pretty amazing. 

I bet there are only a handful of college wrestlers with a prayer of scoring on him right now. We saw what an athletic freak he is at Junior Worlds. The only college guy I would favor over him right now is Kyle Snyder. 

I bet there are only a handful of college wrestlers with a prayer of scoring on him right now. We saw what an athletic freak he is at Junior Worlds. The only college guy I would favor over him right now is Kyle Snyder. 

See now when someone with your wrestling knowledge says that, I take it seriously! I don't know enough to say that for sure, but I can say I was an "early adopter" of Gable, more or less since the first time he beat Jordan Wood, I thought "wow". So we need to discuss this more. Stay tuned for a new thread. 

See now when someone with your wrestling knowledge says that, I take it seriously! I don't know enough to say that for sure, but I can say I was an "early adopter" of Gable, more or less since the first time he beat Jordan Wood, I thought "wow". So we need to discuss this more. Stay tuned for a new thread. 

People talk about Coon being able to beat Gable S. I say that I would have to see some improvement from the Adam Coon I last saw. Not a knock on Coon either, but he isn't exactly the smoothest wrestler on the planet. Super Strong, yes, but I doubt he could handle Gable Steveson's  superior quickness and  athletic movement. Gable would be able to create the angles he needs to get TD's while I think Coon would struggle on a guy like Gable.

People talk about Coon being able to beat Gable S. I say that I would have to see some improvement from the Adam Coon I last saw. Not a knock on Coon either, but he isn't exactly the smoothest wrestler on the planet. Super Strong, yes, but I doubt he could handle Gable Steveson's  superior quickness and  athletic movement. Gable would be able to create the angles he needs to get TD's while I think Coon would struggle on a guy like Gable.

That's pretty amazing, especially because I think HWT substantially clears out after this year, making Gable's path to a title in year one pretty much wide open. 

It would be an interesting match, because Gable looked pretty small out there - how tall is he?  Coon is a monster and probably has 25+ pounds on him and great positioning, plus he can go big when he needs to.  But Gable would definitely score, that would be a fun one to watch...

It would be an interesting match, because Gable looked pretty small out there - how tall is he? Coon is a monster and probably has 25+ pounds on him and great positioning, plus he can go big when he needs to. But Gable would definitely score, that would be a fun one to watch...

Gable is short compared though most heavies, but he weighs 250 or so.

The only chance anyone has on him is to wear him out on top. With that said, he escaped easily every time he was on bottom in the tournament, so that’s mostly based on not seeing him wrestle from bottom against the best top guys in the country. He hasn’t actually looked vulnerable from there.

So here's a question re Gable and high schoolers in general. Now that the new rules are in place, will high schoolers get a crack at other tournaments like Midlands? I would love to see Gable wrestle college again this season.

They can enter any Open

I expect we will see the top level guys like Gable at a few more Opens