Sign in to follow this  
Gantry

All Star Classic results

Stuff happens but I have a hard time seeing either Hall or Valencia being challenged much. Zahid would (likely) easily win at 184. Hall would win a wrestle off at 165 and probably beat Imar. But the reborn mentality of the best wrestlers in the US, it is about looking for challenges. Those two make each other better.

Zahid finally gets his takedown in the 3rd, was the aggressor the whole match.  Hall had one nice inside trip counter attempt but other than that was basically playing defense the whole time

Good summary. Zahid looked like he was wrestling to prove a point, while Hall did the minimum required to stay in the match for most of it until Zahid finally cracked his defense. That's going to be a dangerous strategy for Hall in the future against the longer and bigger Zahid, who will eventually get to Hall's legs deep if given enough chances. He wasn't really threatened despite mounting all the offensive action in the match.

I think it is pretty damn good, but Zahid is that good himself. He has one of the best singles in the country and is a leftie lead and much longer than Hall, which makes his reach even closer than it otherwise would be against the shorter, stockier Hall. Hall cannot rely on defense against Zahid. He will lose again if he does. He almost lost last year using that same strategy but was saved by Casey Cunningham's eagle eye and an honest mistake by Zahid.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

I think it is pretty damn good, but Zahid is that good himself. He has one of the best singles in the country and is a leftie lead and much longer than Hall, which makes his reach even closer than it otherwise would be against the shorter, stockier Hall. Hall cannot rely on defense against Zahid. He will lose again if he does. He almost lost last year using that same strategy but was saved by Casey Cunningham's eagle eye and an honest mistake by Zahid.

I agree his defense is very good, but I don't think he's Kyle Dake defense good. He also doesn't seem to generate enough offense. Don't get me wrong, he's obviously super talented. I just don't see him being the "generational" talent that some on these boards make him out to be. I see him as being no better or worse than any other 4x AA,multi time NCAA champ, World team member type that we'vs seen in the past. Mind you, I've been called a PSU fanboy in the past.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

If Dake is the standard for good defense, then nobody has good defense. A little unfair, don't you think?

But I get your point and agree with it: Hall can't wrestle the same way against Zahid and expect any better than a 50/50 outcome, if that. He got away with it last year, but Zahid lost that match more than Hall won it. 

If Dake is the standard for good defense, then nobody has good defense. A little unfair, don't you think?

But I get your point and agree with it: Hall can't wrestle the same way against Zahid and expect any better than a 50/50 outcome, if that. He got away with it last year, but Zahid lost that match more than Hall won it.

We're definitely on the same page. Ofcourse Dake is the gold standard when it comes to defense. What I mean with that though is it seems to me that Hall relies way too much on it. To rely on it as much as he does he better be Dake good which he's not thus gets himself in trouble. Otherwise, come up with a better game plan. Edited by BigTenFanboy

Cunningham no doubt saw the headgear pull, but Hall was pointing it out himself in that match. 

I think now that Jack has confidence vs Meretith, he has his number. Jack is also one of the very few threats to Heil IMO. (I cant quite say I think he beats Heil, but he is good enough.)

Jury is out on Zahid/Hall. I want Zahid to win consistently, but its too close to tell at this point. That being said, I'll be surprised if they remain in the same weight for the next 2 years. 

Gross will be a hodge contender this year. 

Edited by iGranby

The Zahid-Hall match was incredible and my hat's off to them for showing up and battling it out. I wish more #1/#2 guys would do that. 

Regarding the match, I guess I saw more offense from Hall than other posters are giving him credit for. No question that Hall didn't take as many shots as Zahid. Zahid takes big shots that you can see, goes to the knee and hits angles a lot more. But Hall had quite a few slide by attempts, super duck attempts and snaps.

One thing that surprised me was how much smaller Hall looked than Zahid. I thought Hall might have looked to add muscle now that he's not going to go 74kg any more. 

I think now that Jack has confidence vs Meretith, he has his number. Jack is also one of the very few threats to Heil IMO. (I cant quite say I think he beats Heil, but he is good enough.)

Jury is out on Zahid/Hall. I want Zahid to win consistently, but its too close to tell at this point. That being said, I'll be surprised if they remain in the same weight for the next 2 years. 

Gross will be a hodge contender this year. 

I think Jack is the only guy with multiple TDs against Heil.  He is definitely the biggest threat.  He's the only guy capable of just scoring TDs and beating him.  I could see a few guys scoring a single late TD and I could see Eirman hitting something big, but Jack could actually just outwrestle him.  But Heil has also gone through Jack's defense with little resistance, so he's certainly not a favorite. 

I think now that Jack has confidence vs Meretith, he has his number.

I dunno, he got a reversal with less than 10 seconds left or he would have lost.   One of the best rivalries out there because despite all the familiarity they let the fur fly every time. 

I think Jack is the only guy with multiple TDs against Heil. He is definitely the biggest threat. He's the only guy capable of just scoring TDs and beating him. I could see a few guys scoring a single late TD and I could see Eirman hitting something big, but Jack could actually just outwrestle him. But Heil has also gone through Jack's defense with little resistance, so he's certainly not a favorite.

My opinion, trying to out funk Heil is a non starter. He has already proved himself (duh). None of the world level up and coming studs are not at his weight but if they were, the clean take downs are how you beat him. He is otherwise really good at getting people to wrestle his game plan. Edited by sgallan