Sign in to follow this  
MSU158

Robin Ficker in the house

Flo announcers have no clue how to take this guy. I am sort of surprised they don't know who he is. He was pretty quiet as Missouri dominated from 125-165 but got LOUD when the Asperator and Headlock Sheptock were on the mat. He is sitting front row center in shorts waving a big Maryland flag. No matter your take on the guy her certainly is a trip!

Robin Ficker was awesome today. Heckling was in good fun and not offensive. Most fans did not know what to think but all were chuckling.

On a side note, we whine about the IOC dropping wrestling but then do not come out and watch our local wrestlers. Ficker flew half way across the country to root on Maryland. We need more like him.

I was at the duals and the endless banter of Ficker was annoying. What is he trying to accomplish? I doubt if the Maryland team and coaches like it. Maybe he donates money or legal services to their program so they condone it. I hate seeing this distraction taking away attention from our great athletes and coaches. What a joke. Get rid of him Kerry!

Any time you watch a Maryland match, you have to listen to that guy. I think he's annoying. The novelty wore off years ago.

Nearly every major sports team (Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey and International Soccer) has literally thousands of Robin Ficker type fans. How are we EVER going to be open to growth when we can't handle ONE? We NEED fans in the seats and, like him or not, he is dedicated to his team.

Any time you watch a Maryland match, you have to listen to that guy. I think he's annoying. The novelty wore off years ago.

Nearly every major sports team (Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey and International Soccer) has literally thousands of Robin Ficker type fans. How are we EVER going to be open to growth when we can't handle ONE? We NEED fans in the seats and, like him or not, he is dedicated to his team.

That's not a very good analogy. When there are only a couple of hundred fans (at most) in the gym, and you have a guy yelling like he does (with the same tired, corny phrases over and over again), it's annoying. At NCAAs, he's there, and you can't really notice him.

If you like him, fine. I think the guy's constant jawing is annoying. He reminds me of a DuPont type... a little too overzealous in a not-so-good way.

That's not a very good analogy. When there are only a couple of hundred fans (at most) in the gym, and you have a guy yelling like he does (with the same tired, corny phrases over and over again), it's annoying. At NCAAs, he's there, and you can really notice him.

If you like him, fine. I think the guy's constant jawing is annoying. He reminds me of a DuPont type... a little too overzealous in a not-so-good way.

Go to a European soccer game. ALL you notice are Robin Fickers. Go to a Cleveland Browns game and you can be on the opposite side of a stadium CONSIDERABLY bigger than a Gym and still CLEARLY hear the dog pound. Go to an Oakland Raiders game and you get the same thing with Hundreds of guys dressed like the Legion of Doom. There are countless more examples. I understand how something can become annoying over time. I simply think being upset with an overzealous fan is a waste of time. Go to a Catholic High School Football game. I never realized how bad the parents were when I played. I went to one of my brothers football games and told my dad I had to go down out of the stands and stand by the fenceline. You would never think private school parents could say some of the things they did. BUT, it is a part of sports. I would rather have 10,000 more fans at every wrestling meet with 75% of them being Robin Ficker types than have 250 at major DI meets. Wrestling is at a crossroads. If we don't make it more fan friendly it TRULY could die.

You think the Flicker type fan is really the messiah? I hope there's other options to make it fan friendly, if you think that's the issue. Honestly I'd say that type of behavior would drive fans away. I can't imagine the wrestling commercials featuring shots of people like Flicker actually generating a positive image.

You think the Flicker type fan is really the messiah? I hope there's other options to make it fan friendly, if you think that's the issue. Honestly I'd say that type of behavior would drive fans away. I can't imagine the wrestling commercials featuring shots of people like Flicker actually generating a positive image.

Not to bicker, but it's Ficker.

Go to a European soccer game. ALL you notice are Robin Fickers. Go to a Cleveland Browns game and you can be on the opposite side of a stadium CONSIDERABLY bigger than a Gym and still CLEARLY hear the dog pound. Go to an Oakland Raiders game and you get the same thing with Hundreds of guys dressed like the Legion of Doom. There are countless more examples. I understand how something can become annoying over time. I simply think being upset with an overzealous fan is a waste of time. Go to a Catholic High School Football game. I never realized how bad the parents were when I played. I went to one of my brothers football games and told my dad I had to go down out of the stands and stand by the fenceline. You would never think private school parents could say some of the things they did. BUT, it is a part of sports. I would rather have 10,000 more fans at every wrestling meet with 75% of them being Robin Ficker types than have 250 at major DI meets. Wrestling is at a crossroads. If we don't make it more fan friendly it TRULY could die.

I take it from your response that you think people like him make for a "fan friendly'' experience and are good for the sport. Well, I guess we disagree on that point. I can't imagine anyone other than family, current students or alumni who actually want to sit through his 'show' to watch a match.

The guy is a total tool.If people would just ignore him, maybe he'd go away.

Bingo! Mr. "Look at Me" Ficker would shrivel up and die if nobody paid any attention. If you don't like him, my advice would be to stop posting about him in national wrestling message boards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vSb1o0Inag

see above link to Robin Ficker: court jester (self-described "Forward ever. Backward never -- Kind of guy.")

also Terrapin Wrestling Superfan:

the most disturbing thing about that first video (or maybe not so disturbing if you actually like his antics) is at 1:10, where the the young kid (his grandson?) who was sitting on his lap earlier is standing next to Ficker, mimicking every word he says.....someone to pass the torch to when Robin gets too old to heckle. :|

^^^I've known Robin Ficker for decades, here in Montgomery County, MD. It's my understanding that he attends and "cheerleads" at Univ of Maryland wrestling meets and certain away events, with the blessing of the UMD wrestling coaches. Also, please understand, that if the head wrestling coach at UMD did not approve of Robin Ficker's cheerleading, etc., Ficker would not be doing it and would not have special treatment, such as being an honorary coach at certain home events.