187 replies to this topic

#1 VakAttack

VakAttack

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 23,672 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:38 AM

http://www.flowrestl...d-ncaa-cheaters

There are some pretty serious implications to be made from this episode.  The discussion starts around 50:00, but it starts getting really juicy aroun 1:01:30 or so.  The direct statements are related to schools offering to pay back loans thru the RTCs.  They very specifically say nobody wants to put their name on it, and they worry it will bring down the whole RTC system, etc, but it's a pretty reasonable inference that Penn State is at least one of the schools doing this, considering their RTC has, by far, the most money and thus ability to pay the kids this way.  I have no illusions that other schools, including possibly Iowa, may be doing the same thing.  I honestly don't have a whole lot of problem with it in general, as long as the option is open to everyone in general.  Any thoughts on the topic and discussion from FRL?

Collegiate Wrestling's Premier Thought Leader

#2 Gantry

Gantry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:46 AM

Here's a link to just the recruiting discussion:

http://www.flowrestl...up#.WgH4-miPJPY

Though the first part is about early verbals and not the RTC stuff. 

Edited by Gantry, 07 November 2017 - 07:46 AM.

#3 Pinnum

Pinnum

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:46 AM

This is a serious accusation of a major NCAA infraction.

This makes scholarships limits mean nothing.
Twitter: @Pinnum

#4 WrestlingFan89

WrestlingFan89

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:05 AM

I believe 2 other Big 10 (not Iowa) and a Big 12 school seem to be suspicious. It also seems odd that one particular Ivy school continues to land a high number of blue chippers with no athletic aid.

#5 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,620 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:19 AM

I’m a fan of RTCs because they help prolong post-grad careers and help in the development of our athletes at the senior level, but RTCs are generally bad for college wrestling to begin with. They exacerbate an already huge have-have-not problem and make a mockery out of parity. If they’re really being used to backdoor money to recruits, they may spell the end of college wrestling.
  • gowrestle likes this

#6 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 10,424 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:29 AM

For several years "We need to find a way to develop our wrestlers into championship Sr level freestyle wrestlers" and "We need to find opportunities for wrestlers beyond college"

The RTC's are created. The USA ascends to the very top of the Sr. level wrestling world! 

Now today "Look at those guys paying post grad wrestlers at their RTC's. Oh, the horrors!!!" 

LOL at what Hawkeye Report Hysteria can create. Btw, I have the impression from listening to FRL from the beginning that "I heard" is often synonymous with "It was on Hawkeye Report's Message board"

Edited by TBar1977, 07 November 2017 - 10:31 AM.

• denny likes this

I have set aside funds to have six Green Bay Packers be my pall bearers, that way they can let me down one final time. 

#7 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:32 AM

Oh good TBar is here to treat the topic in a completely self centered and superficial way. What a great addition to the forum. 

Edited by hammerlockthree, 07 November 2017 - 10:32 AM.

• VakAttack, headshuck, LoStNuMbEr and 3 others like this

#8 WildTurkey44

WildTurkey44

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:59 AM

For several years "We need to find a way to develop our wrestlers into championship Sr level freestyle wrestlers" and "We need to find opportunities for wrestlers beyond college"

The RTC's are created. The USA ascends to the very top of the Sr. level wrestling world!

Now today "Look at those guys paying post grad wrestlers at their RTC's. Oh, the horrors!!!"

LOL at what Hawkeye Report Hysteria can create. Btw, I have the impression from listening to FRL from the beginning that "I heard" is often synonymous with "It was on Hawkeye Report's Message board"

This thread is about t what was said on FRL not HR. CP and Willie have their own opinions obviously.

#9 klehner

klehner

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:33 AM

I believe 2 other Big 10 (not Iowa) and a Big 12 school seem to be suspicious. It also seems odd that one particular Ivy school continues to land a high number of blue chippers with no athletic aid.

Yianni D. committed to Cornell three years ago this month (yes, as a HS sophomore).  You think he was offered something and planned that far ahead?  Vito Arujau committed to Cornell nearly three years ago.  Same question about him.

Sometimes, these educations are worth the expense, and the opportunity is too good to pass up.

(I have no idea if the FLWC offers these guys anything)

#10 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:49 AM

So.....Cornell isn't allowed any recruits?

Edited by hammerlockthree, 07 November 2017 - 11:50 AM.

#11 KTG119

KTG119

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:50 AM

Yianni D. committed to Cornell three years ago this month (yes, as a HS sophomore).  You think he was offered something and planned that far ahead?  Vito Arujau committed to Cornell nearly three years ago.  Same question about him.

Sometimes, these educations are worth the expense, and the opportunity is too good to pass up.

(I have no idea if the FLWC offers these guys anything)

there are folks who know way more on this than I do but seem to recall hearing that while the Ivy schools don't offer athletic scholarships they are often able to craft together nice grant packages for incoming students (not just wrestlers). so I kinda doubt that YD and VA are going to be on the hook for a hundred grand or whatever for that education. 

and that's all good and fair in my book.

#12 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:52 AM

Whatever Cornell does it doesn't equate to anything like 9.9.........

#13 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 10,424 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:59 AM

The RTC's actually sign wrestlers to contracts. The wrestlers actually make what to most people who are even halfway successful would consider a small amount of money. Please tell me that nobody here is surprised to learn of this fact? If they are just figuring this out from FRL then they are pretty darn naive as to how the real world works. 

Most of these guys could make more money, and in some cases a lot more money, just by moving on with their lives. Staying in wrestling for the amount they make is more about chasing the dream than it is about making sound financial decisions. Most of them would pay off college loans a lot faster by getting out of wrestling rather than staying in it. 

Edited by TBar1977, 07 November 2017 - 12:02 PM.

• denny likes this

I have set aside funds to have six Green Bay Packers be my pall bearers, that way they can let me down one final time. 

#14 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:02 PM

The RTC's actually sign wrestlers to contracts. The wrestlers actually make what to most people who are even halfway successful would consider a small amount of money. Please tell me that nobody here is surprised to learn of this fact? If they are just figuring this out from FRL then they are pretty darn naive as to how the real world works. 

Most of these guys could make more money, and in some cases a lot more money, just by moving on with their lives. Staying in wrestling for the amount they make is more about chasing the dream than it is about making sound financial decisions. Most of them would pay off college loans a lot faster by getting out of wrestling rather than staying in it. 

you don't even understand the topic. 

Edited by hammerlockthree, 07 November 2017 - 12:06 PM.

• scribe, Witherman and BLT like this

#15 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 10,424 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:05 PM

Btw, it is pretty funny that this nonsense is coming out the day before the Early Signing Day for wrestlers. Can't wait until each and every LOI arrives on the PSU wrestling fax tomorrow and that way all the Athletic Dept. calling Vodka swilling lawyers over at Hawkeye Report can start in anew with their never ending hew and cry. 

Edited by TBar1977, 07 November 2017 - 12:06 PM.

• denny likes this

#16 paboom

paboom

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 531 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:05 PM

Wouldn't surprise me one bit the bigger RTC's are helping pay off loans.

Overall RTC's are helping on the international level but they are hurting the sport on the NCAA level.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#17 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 10,424 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:08 PM

Wouldn't surprise me one bit the bigger RTC's are helping pay off loans.

Overall RTC's are helping on the international level but they are hurting the sport on the NCAA level.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

So when Ohio RTC pays Logie Bear what they owe on his signed contract with them, is that quid pro quo paying off his college loan or are they just paying him a salary?

Should Logan be forced to wrestle and receive nothing? Is this what you want? Sounds ridiculous. 

#18 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:12 PM

Again, you don't know whats being discussed. Go back to the shallow end. 

• BLT likes this

#19 Perry

Perry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,329 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:28 PM

Tbar, if you went from being relevant and a perennial contender for an ncaa title to accepting guys like pd3 just to break the top 10 you'd be pretty salty too lol

I wonder how Iowa fans will react if the hwc ultimately gets hit from this and they lose guys like Perry and Gilman (though, to be fair, it would probably be a blessing to dump Gilman off somewhere else anyways).
  • TBar1977 and pish6969 like this

#20 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 01:07 PM

Likely better than TBar would if PSU got hit and a half dozen recruits decommitted or transferred out. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users