VakAttack

The end of today's FRL and the implications for college wrestling

Believe it or not, there wouldn't necessarily be anything nefarious about a senior taking a reduced scholarship.  I believe Ben Askren did exactly that, and that was before Mizzou had a RTC, iirc.  At that point, Ben had qualified for in-state, so his cost was reduced, and he was selflessly trying to free up money for the good of the program.  I'm sure he's not the only senior who's been asked to take a reduction for the good of the team.  If those seniors then turn around and receive a stipend from the RTC (standard practice), that wouldn't add up to corruption.  Thus, as others have said, good luck proving this.

Mizzou has an rtc? Honestly didn't know that. I'm not surprised to hear a guy like askren took a reduced scholarship for the good of the team, top tier guys seem willing to do that to help attract other top tier talent to the program.

This thread makes me wonder about the time frame when we will begin seeing guys who don’t want to continue Wrestling American folk and want to focus on the international style solely, while attending school. I wonder if the PSUs, Iowas, OSUs (both) and ASUs have discussed scholarships for those kids whose interest is at those RTCs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For several years "We need to find a way to develop our wrestlers into championship Sr level freestyle wrestlers" and "We need to find opportunities for wrestlers beyond college"

The RTC's are created. The USA ascends to the very top of the Sr. level wrestling world! 

Now today "Look at those guys paying post grad wrestlers at their RTC's. Oh, the horrors!!!" 

LOL at what Hawkeye Report Hysteria can create. Btw, I have the impression from listening to FRL from the beginning that "I heard" is often synonymous with "It was on Hawkeye Report's Message board"

Duck & cover, eh Tbar?

This wasn't created by a Hawkeye Report conspiracy. They don't care that much. They might even agree with you. This was created by the money thrown at athletes to circumvent the limitations of NCAA rules. That YOUR team gets mentioned is mostly because they're the top dog, but several teams will probably get caught up in this if the NCAA cares to take notice.

Duck & cover, eh Tbar?

This wasn't created by a Hawkeye Report conspiracy. They don't care that much. They might even agree with you. This was created by the money thrown at athletes to circumvent the limitations of NCAA rules. That YOUR team gets mentioned is mostly because they're the top dog, but several teams will probably get caught up in this if the NCAA cares to take notice.

Nothing will come of this. People underestimate the true meaning of words like "explicit" and "promise", but they matter. Flo is peddling rumor and innuendo from coaches who don't like losing. If Flo had anything real they'd report it. 

Lolololol. I know you hate that, headshuck.

Investigate exactly what? There is nothing to investigate. Some coaches have their feelings hurt and they are crying to flo? That is a pile of nothing.

Wrestlers at rtc's get paid to wrestle at rtc's. So what? Everyone already knows this. You think Ness and the others are not getting paid by Minnesota Storm? Lolololol. 

Edited by TBar1977

.....you literally haven't even attempted to understand the accusations you are denying......

Actually, I have given it the thought it requires, which is not much.

Unless they have a quid pro quo on audio or video tape, or in writing on University stationery, then they basically don't have anything. I am betting no coach or recruit has that in their little "folder" because no other coach would be stupid enough to make such an implicit promise. Any hammerhead could have figured this out with 20 seconds of thought.

Actually, I have given it the thought it requires, which is not much.

Unless they have a quid pro quo on audio or video tape, or in writing on University stationery, then they basically don't have anything. I am betting no coach or recruit has that in their little "folder" because no other coach would be stupid enough to make such an implicit promise. Any hammerhead could have figured this out with 20 seconds of thought.

Explain the accusation you refuse to believe to me please. I can do it in about 10 words.

The RTC's actually sign wrestlers to contracts. The wrestlers actually make what to most people who are even halfway successful would consider a small amount of money. Please tell me that nobody here is surprised to learn of this fact? If they are just figuring this out from FRL then they are pretty darn naive as to how the real world works.

Most of these guys could make more money, and in some cases a lot more money, just by moving on with their lives. Staying in wrestling for the amount they make is more about chasing the dream than it is about making sound financial decisions. Most of them would pay off college loans a lot faster by getting out of wrestling rather than staying in it.

I don’t think people have an issue with the guys being signed to contracts and actually Wrestling. It’s the payoff of student loans to ex-athletes who are NOT members of the RTC that is questionable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don’t think people have an issue with the guys being signed to contracts and actually Wrestling. It’s the payoff of student loans to ex-athletes who are NOT members of the RTC that is questionable.

Or members of the RTC who were made the promise of student loan repayment prior to completing their college career.

You're not permitted to negotiate any future agreements while still competing in college. It is why College Basketball players can not work with agents, even if they have started the NBA consideration process, if they ever want to be able to compete again in college. They can workout for NBA teams and get evaluated but can not work with any agents or discuss any financials. If they want to have an agent and discuss finances, they forgo their college eligibility (which some elect to do and then find out they don't get drafted).

Or members of the RTC who were made the promise of student loan repayment prior to completing their college career.

You're not permitted to negotiate any future agreements while still competing in college. 

Does this mean that once an athletic scholarship has been awarded, the amount cannot be reduced or cut in successive years?

Does this mean that once an athletic scholarship has been awarded, the amount cannot be reduced or cut in successive years?

It can. But an athlete is entitled to a review process in order for it to happen. It is more often athletes are removed from the team than given scholarship reductions.

When I said finances, I mean compensation for competition in their sport. Scholarships are not considered compensation.

So who is doing that? And don't just make a claim that someone is doing it, cite a credible source that has hashed this out in the public view. 

This is not just about RTC and it doesn't really matter if people have or don't have an issue, it only matters if whats been going on is a violation of NCAA rules and if the NCAA even cares to look into it.