• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#21 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 10,424 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 01:29 PM

Tbar, if you went from being relevant and a perennial contender for an ncaa title to accepting guys like pd3 just to break the top 10 you'd be pretty salty too lol

I wonder how Iowa fans will react if the hwc ultimately gets hit from this and they lose guys like Perry and Gilman (though, to be fair, it would probably be a blessing to dump Gilman off somewhere else anyways).

I heard from a friend of mine that knows someone who knows someone else who's cousin is in the know that Mark Perry's coaching gig at HWC is just to help him pay off his outstanding Iowa college loans.

They are probably paying off loans right as this thread is going down for not just Gilman, but also for Cory Clark, Alex Meyer and Sammy Brooks. Probably.

Everyone knows those guys cheat. They probably learned it all from Gable. Lol.

I have set aside funds to have six Green Bay Packers be my pall bearers, that way they can let me down one final time. 

#22 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 01:40 PM

you still don't get it....

#23 Eagle26

Eagle26

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 01:57 PM

I watched the video, and maybe I am missing something too, but what Tbar is saying actually makes sense to me. If an athlete is competing for an RTC post grad, what is wrong with paying them to do so? The athlete can then use the money to pay off loans, pay rent, food, beer, whatever. On the other hand, if an athlete is promised a certain amount of scholarship money that the school can't provide, and then the RTC reimburses them for that, then that would be a problem if they aren't competing for the club to earn their pay. If they are competing for the RTC and the money is given directly to the athlete, and not directly to pay off the loan, I don't see how they could get in trouble with that

• denny and TBar1977 like this

#24 headshuck

headshuck

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 15,421 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:03 PM

Speaking of money, I’d pay TBar to quit lol’ing.
  • KingK0ng and scribe like this

#25 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 10,424 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:10 PM

Speaking of money, I’d pay TBar to quit lol’ing.

But watching Hawkeye Report come up with this conspiracy theory is too funny. Then to have Pyles troll them with it ... priceless.
  • denny likes this

I have set aside funds to have six Green Bay Packers be my pall bearers, that way they can let me down one final time. 

#26 gimpeltf

gimpeltf

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,033 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:19 PM

I watched the video, and maybe I am missing something too, but what Tbar is saying actually makes sense to me. If an athlete is competing for an RTC post grad, what is wrong with paying them to do so? The athlete can then use the money to pay off loans, pay rent, food, beer, whatever. On the other hand, if an athlete is promised a certain amount of scholarship money that the school can't provide, and then the RTC reimburses them for that, then that would be a problem if they aren't competing for the club to earn their pay. If they are competing for the RTC and the money is given directly to the athlete, and not directly to pay off the loan, I don't see how they could get in trouble with that

I didn't watch so maybe I'm on the wrong track, but you can't promise a job based on athletic accomplishments. By this I mean the school/coaches/boosters. Technically the RTC is none of those but many boosters donate to the RTC. So, if someone promised a job in the RTC for after graduation while in school or during the recruiting process it could be viewed unfavorably.

• BLT likes this

#27 WildTurkey44

WildTurkey44

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:21 PM

HR is just a website where random people can post. Flo is the leading coverage provider of college wrestling. This FRL was based off of what "HR" came up with?

#28 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:29 PM

But watching Hawkeye Report come up with this conspiracy theory is too funny. Then to have Pyles troll them with it ... priceless.

Smug and oblivious is a poor combination.

#29 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:54 PM

Smug and oblivious is a poor combination.

As is a Wildturkey and a Hammerhead.
  • TBar1977 likes this

#30 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:07 PM

we aren't combined......

Edited by hammerlockthree, 07 November 2017 - 03:07 PM.

#31 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 10,424 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:13 PM

HR is just a website where random people can post. Flo is the leading coverage provider of college wrestling. This FRL was based off of what "HR" came up with?

You watch that show, They constantly refer to what anonymous people post on hawkeye report.

The next time Pyles interviews Cael maybe he will finally "have a plan", or maybe just some facts.

Edited by TBar1977, 07 November 2017 - 03:21 PM.

#32 headshuck

headshuck

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 15,421 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:33 PM

If I had a nickel for every Flo article TBar reposted here...

#33 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 10,424 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:40 PM

I didn't watch so maybe I'm on the wrong track, but you can't promise a job based on athletic accomplishments. By this I mean the school/coaches/boosters. Technically the RTC is none of those but many boosters donate to the RTC. So, if someone promised a job in the RTC for after graduation while in school or during the recruiting process it could be viewed unfavorably.

Of course you can't make that kind of "promise", which is what Pyles alleges coaches are telling him is going on. Good luck to those coaches, Pyles or anyone else trying to prove such a thing.

A quid pro quo really only becomes a type of bribe when there is a clearly identifiable exchange of property based on an explicit promise. The NCAA would have to believe their was a corrupt exchange, namely a benefit given (cash) in exchange for something received (the wrestler's commitment). How would this be proven? Logan Stieber commits to Ohio State in 2010 or there about. This commitment is the "something received" in the example above. The Ohio RTC signs him to a contract 6 years later. This contract is the "benefit given" in the example above.

But the RTC says they are paying Stieber to wrestle post grad, not for some prior explicit promise 6 years earlier. This is the quid pro quo someone would be trying to prove.

Some recruit is gonna say a coach or booster said he could wrestle for the RTC when he graduates? If he is a stud he already knew that much. He also knew post grads got signed contracts because the RTC's make announcements of those signings.

Edited by TBar1977, 07 November 2017 - 04:02 PM.

#34 ConnorsDad

ConnorsDad

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 04:10 PM

It's illegal for the same reason that you can't offer an NFL player a job after he's done with playing in order to circumvent the salary cap. Proving it is another thing but like the earlier poster said if it is going on it could mean the end of college wrestling. Always felt the RTC's made it even tougher for some of the smaller schools to compete.

#35 pish6969

pish6969

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 498 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 04:55 PM

Damn FRL. They going to ruin the sport they love with all this compliance BS. Iowa will be the first to get nailed since they are the premier program in the sport right now.

That stupid Vodka just screwed his own school. Dummy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#36 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,513 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 06:20 PM

The words "loss of institutional control" come to mind if true. Do they have evidence for this? Do athletes who know they will be in the RTC take a scholarship cut their last year? Are there athletes on the payroll who aren't training at the RTC?

#37 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,513 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 06:21 PM

It's illegal for the same reason that you can't offer an NFL player a job after he's done with playing in order to circumvent the salary cap. Proving it is another thing but like the earlier poster said if it is going on it could mean the end of college wrestling. Always felt the RTC's made it even tougher for some of the smaller schools to compete.

#38 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 10,424 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:56 PM

Here is the wrestling model that created the success the USA is having right now.

High School >>> College >>> RTC

Every top ranked wrestler coming out of high school could recite this simple model. They already know there is a place for them at the RTC when they finish with their NCAA eligibility, just as the top students at Wharton and Stanford Business know there is a spot for them at the top consulting and banking firms when they graduate. Nobody has to make any explicit promises to the very best in anything. 

I thought the sport of wrestling was better than this. We are going to let the weak eat the strong in this sport too? Maybe I will get rid of my Flo subscription when it comes up and just go back to BTN too. Why pay them more? They don't want to allow wrestlers to earn more, so why should they?

#39 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,620 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:49 AM

Nobody wants wrestlers to earn less. The issue being discussed is whether RTCs are vehicles to backdoor what effectively is scholarship money. That’s a completely separate and major issue. Nobody who wants the sport to continue to be a D1 sport can ignore it because if true (HUGE IF), it would be the biggest scandal in the sport’s history and likely lead to such severe sanctions that the sport could start to die on the vine from the resultant collateral damage.

#40 headshuck

headshuck

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 15,421 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:25 AM

I wonder when the first recruit gets a better “offer” from a competing RTC and evidence is found?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users