• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,284 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:14 AM

I expect him to AA and maybe even challenge for a title.

While he will likely take some losses along the way and he is in a deep weight class, I think he is that good.

He will have a serious test in his first match (Alber) and will wrestle Eierman in December too, so we will have an idea of where he is pretty quickly.

Thoughts?

Edit: picking him to win it all

Edited by Housebuye, 17 November 2017 - 11:08 AM.

#2 iGranby

iGranby

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:39 AM

Yianni is incredible. That being said, his ceiling to me will be 4/5, and that's where I expect him to end up. I'd frankly give him a better shot vs Heil than Jack, and it isn't a great shot. I think Mkenna, Ashnault (if healthy) and Meredith (who I admittedly am not a fan of) will for sure cause him issues. Then you have guys like Eierman, and Thorn, and the Nebraska guy who just beat Thorn. That's seven not counting Yianni, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few. 

In this discussion, people point to Dake and say "look what he did as a freshman at that same weight at that same school!" but while that weight was good, it was nowhere near as loaded as this one. Yianni is one of the reasons this weight is so loaded, but I just cant see him stringing together the weekend he would need to win it. Not in this weight, not in his first year. 

• spladle08 likes this

#3 Perry

Perry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:53 AM

141 is stacked this year. Yianni will contend as well 10 to 14 other hammers.
  • rd149 and spladle08 like this

#4 madcat11

madcat11

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:14 AM

Agreed. If healthy, I see no reason why Yiannis ceiling is lower than a freshman mark hall or dayton fix.

#5 JBluegill133

JBluegill133

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:03 AM

when is the first time we will see him in action?

• spladle08 likes this
"Look good, feel good, wrestle good." - J Jaggers

#6 spladle08

spladle08

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 499 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 01:20 AM

Agreed. If healthy, I see no reason why Yiannis ceiling is lower than a freshman mark hall or dayton fix.

It's lower because its arguably the deepest of all the weights, with just proven upperclass hammers. Could he win? Sure, maybe its better to say the floor is a lot lower.

Hall had another freshman and Bo Jordan. His floor was 3rd/4th

Fix has Nato, Cruz, Lizak, Suriano floor (expectation) is 6-8th

YANNI has Heil, Jack, Meredith, Eierman, Ashnault, Mckenna, Red, Thorn, and a few other guys who know how to win sprinkled throughout. Could he make a Tsirtis type run and squeak it out? Sure, but floor is definitely DNP

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Edited by spladle08, 11 November 2017 - 12:56 PM.

• silver-medal likes this

#7 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,283 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 01:22 AM

R12, but I wouldn't be surprised if he slipped in an nabbed an AA

• spladle08 likes this

#8 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,284 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 01:43 AM

17th

Going off memory but I think that’s right

Correction. First dual is the 17th

Edited by Housebuye, 09 November 2017 - 02:05 AM.

#9 redblades

redblades

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 01:50 AM

He's registered (unattached) for the Jonathan Kaloust Open (Binghamton) - this weekend.

As a bonus, we'll likely see Vito Arujau (greyshirt) as well - registered at 133.

Edited by redblades, 09 November 2017 - 01:53 AM.

• spladle08 and LemonPie like this

#10 LemonPie

LemonPie

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,307 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 01:58 AM

He's registered (unattached) for the Jonathan Kaloust Open (Binghamton) - this weekend.

As a bonus, we'll likely see Vito Arujau (greyshirt) as well - registered at 133.

Is there a list of registered wrestlers anywhere or do you just have the scoop on who Cornell is sending?

Edit:  Nevermind.  See it on track.  Was looking in the wrong place

Edited by LemonPie, 09 November 2017 - 02:00 AM.

Anyone but Heil '18

http://contenttolosebythree.com

#11 klehner

klehner

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:38 AM

We "saw" Vito at the Brockport Open, where he had a 2:58 fall, and 20-3 and 16-0 TFs en route to the win.

#12 redblades

redblades

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 04:29 AM

We "saw" Vito at the Brockport Open, where he had a 2:58 fall, and 20-3 and 16-0 TFs en route to the win.

Yep, Vito had a nice outing at Brockport, but I think he'll be tested a bit more at Binghamton.

BTW, I see PSU is sending a few guys up there, including Nick Lee, Mason Manville, Matt McCutcheon, Shakur Rasheed.  This is shaping up to be a pretty good kickoff event.

#13 spladle08

spladle08

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 499 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 04:31 AM

Is Yianni really only 5'6 (per Cornell website) Thought he was longer than that.

Edited by spladle08, 09 November 2017 - 04:32 AM.

#14 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,639 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 08:05 AM

Is Yianni really only 5'6 (per Cornell website) Thought he was longer than that.

He’s not that tall but has a disproportionately long wingspan, built like an elite swimmer (but much shorter). I bet his reach is closer to that of someone who is 5’9”-5’10.
  • spladle08 likes this

#15 rcoates1

rcoates1

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 08:33 AM

Yianni is incredible. That being said, his ceiling to me will be 4/5, and that's where I expect him to end up. I'd frankly give him a better shot vs Heil than Jack, and it isn't a great shot. I think Mkenna, Ashnault (if healthy) and Meredith (who I admittedly am not a fan of) will for sure cause him issues. Then you have guys like Eierman, and Thorn, and the Nebraska guy who just beat Thorn. That's seven not counting Yianni, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few.

In this discussion, people point to Dake and say "look what he did as a freshman at that same weight at that same school!" but while that weight was good, it was nowhere near as loaded as this one. Yianni is one of the reasons this weight is so loaded, but I just cant see him stringing together the weekend he would need to win it. Not in this weight, not in his first year.

How are you not a fan of Meredith’s? Small school guy that is a contender and exciting to watch. I’m biased though

#16 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,284 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 09:59 AM

How are you not a fan of Meredith’s? Small school guy that is a contender and exciting to watch. I’m biased though

I’m not a big fan either. I find myself rooting against him for some reason. Maybe because I’m a big Jack fan.
  • rcoates1 likes this

#17 rcoates1

rcoates1

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:25 PM

I’m not a big fan either. I find myself rooting against him for some reason. Maybe because I’m a big Jack fan.

Can’t we all just root against Heil?

#18 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 01:20 PM

almost everyone is right?

#19 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members