Sign in to follow this  
Housebuye

How will Yianni do this season?

Probably good advice but I've been fixed to his nuts for two years and can't stop now. Yianni is one of the special ones. Very athletic and mentally strong with super-short memory. My biggest concern was his history of injury but the surgeries look to have gotten his arms back to 100%. Remember he is wrestling at this level as an 18 year old true freshman just coming off major surgery and an extended layoff. He will be the most improved 141 lber come March. I'm not saying he's going to win, but he will be a contender and can beat anybody on any given day.

100% he's nails, but as you highlighted he's 18 and the weight is extremely experienced . This year an AA finish is a win, next year he'll be in the mix for the gold.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

100% he's nails, but as you highlighted he's 18 and the weight is extremely experienced . This year an AA finish is a win, next year he'll be in the mix for the gold.

We're not that far apart but I think he has a legit shot this year. He will improve a lot in the Cornell room over the next 4+ months.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Agreed, Heil, Jack and Meredith will outscramble him. Not to say he isn’t elite but he will have a tough time cracking the defense of those three. He could win it all this year or he could not even AA. I feel the same about Meredith (he takes a lot of losses in season).

How are Micic and Brock still in the Gross conversation?

Does he pin or tech or major each of them every time? I guess that’s why they’re still in the conversation of the other two that could win. I wonder how Darian Cruz won a title last year?

Agreed, Heil, Jack and Meredith will outscramble him. Not to say he isn’t elite but he will have a tough time cracking the defense of those three. He could win it all this year or he could not even AA. I feel the same about Meredith (he takes a lot of losses in season).

We'll see about that in March. First, I feel Heil deserves his own category over the other two. With Heil possibly excepted, I don't think anybody else at the weight will beat Yianni because they outscramble him. He may get outhorsed or beat on the mat because he doesn't have man strength yet, but Yianni can scramble with anyone at the weight.

Not all that accurate. Meredith was 25-4 going into NCAA's the year he took 2nd and was 27-6 entering Last year. Of those 6 losses 2 were to Heil, 1 to McKenna, 1 to Ward, 1 to McCrystal(who started off on fire) and the last was to Lewallen(probably the best backup there was last season).

With that said, he is a gamer. He seems to love the big stage. He hasn't seemed to match up well with Heil, but he has consistently given Jack fits and can take out anyone else at that weight.

Edited by MSU158

141 is quickly becoming massively overrated.  DiCamillo made the final last year.  Yianni can absolutely win it.  

Perhaps, but every year Heil is on the list as most likely to get beat and not win another title, and every year so far there he is.  

141 is quickly becoming massively overrated.  DiCamillo made the final last year.  Yianni can absolutely win it.

I would agree with this but would say that there's a lot more parity in the weight as opposed to the other weights. Someone who is likely to take 2nd here is just as likely to finish as a R12 guy...

Even after seeing those results (I did not watch, so take this with a grain of salt I suppose) I still stand by what I said. Yianni is a solid 4th/5th IMO. 

Also, the race at 133 is for 2nd. Gross only gets better as the year goes on and he was 7 points better than Micic in week 1... 

I would also be shocked if Parker got another win over Brock. Did you watch that match? Crazy, I cant recall seeing anything like that in recent memory. 

Edited by iGranby

Even after seeing those results (I did not watch, so take this with a grain of salt I suppose) I still stand by what I said. Yianni is a solid 4th/5th IMO. 

Also, the race at 133 is for 2nd. Gross only gets better as the year goes on and he was 7 points better than Micic in week 1... 

I would also be shocked if Parker got another win over Brock. Did you watch that match? Crazy, I cant recall seeing anything like that in recent memory. 

Mitch McKee just lost to Gross 8-4. McKee got two 3rd period take downs. It could have been closer if McKee would stop instinctively going to that freestyle chest wrap position which led to 6 of Gross' points. 

I feel pretty confident in predicting Yianni over Eirmann. Eirmann lives in wild scrambles and can be dangerous as anyone in the country, but Yianni has such solid fundamentals that I don't see him allowing Eirmann to funk his way to a W. I think the top 4 of 141 are Heil, Jack, Meredith and Yianni. The next tier I think is Eirmann, Ashnault and maybe McKenna with about 8 more solid guys filling in behind them.

I have a strong feeling Yianni D is just getting warmed up.

18 year old true freshman just fully recovered from a long post-surgery layoff just getting used to having to study at a top academic school for the first time. As I’ve been saying about Yianni, it’s practically guaranteed (barring re-injury) that he will improve substantially in 3 months, i.e. at a faster rate than anyone else at the weight.

Edited by wrestlingnerd