Sign in to follow this  
Housebuye

How will Yianni do this season?

He's definitely moved up in my eyes. Top 5 nationally, at least. Wouldn't mind seeing him take the title, either (I like when FR win NCAA titles). 

Very methodical, calm even. I enjoyed watching him wrestle. Seemed like a good sport too, didn't see him getting chippy or anything. I was very impressed with Yianni.

He's definitely moved up in my eyes. Top 5 nationally, at least. Wouldn't mind seeing him take the title, either (I like when FR win NCAA titles).

Very methodical, calm even. I enjoyed watching him wrestle. Seemed like a good sport too, didn't see him getting chippy or anything. I was very impressed with Yianni.

we need more people on The Yianni champ bandwagon. You on or off?

Like many others, I have watched Yanni develop over the years, and his goal has always been to be a World/Olympic champion.  I think that will carry him through the rough grind of the college season while still focusing on improving stuff which will work against the best in the world at all times.  Put that continuous skill development mindset together with the Cornell lifting program and his awesome support network and I would 100% not bet against him.

I'm officially on the bandwagon- Yianni wins it all this year. He beat Meredith pretty convincingly, and Meredith is the real deal. Massacred Alber, who was having a phenomenal tournament. He seems like the complete package. Room for improvement on his mat wrestling maybe, but nothing like a Desanto who is going to get ridden for 6 minutes

Edited by LoStNuMbEr

Yanni seemingly scores every time someone shoots on him, he gets to the corner so quickly. 

It's because he is the best in the country at any weight at finishing from an extended position. Basically makes a living out of it. They teach you to sprawl and extend the guy's arms and you're good. Not against Yianni. He'll shift one way or the other and use those hips against you. I have no idea how he gets that kind of leverage since he looks like he could do maybe 3 pullups max.

It's because he is the best in the country at any weight at finishing from an extended position. Basically makes a living out of it. They teach you to sprawl and extend the guy's arms and you're good. Not against Yianni. He'll shift one way or the other and use those hips against you. I have no idea how he gets that kind of leverage since he looks like he could do maybe 3 pullups max.

Al he has to do is lock his fingers and he's going to finish.  Stieber-esque. 

I'm officially on the bandwagon- Yianni wins it all this year. He beat Meredith pretty convincingly, and Meredith is the real deal. Massacred Alber, who was having a phenomenal tournament. He seems like the complete package. Room for improvement on his mat wrestling maybe, but nothing like a Desanto who is going to get ridden for 6 minutes

Welcome to the club! Yesss

He still has to wrestle a 3 day tournament unlike any other that you just can't be fully prepared for.  Throw in that 141 has a ridiculous amount of experienced AA's and the gauntlet is that much more difficult.  I know you have your very rare Dakes and Schlatters and freshmen are coming in more ready than ever, but I will still pick against freshmen in deep weights come NCAA time.

With that said, he definitely has the talent to win the weight and will be a super tough out for anyone.

He still has to wrestle a 3 day tournament unlike any other that you just can't be fully prepared for.

Granted that the level of competition at the Big Show is on another level - but he just navigated a 45 man bracket in two days; NCAA's is 33 men in three days.

All it takes is 5 wins...

Granted that the level of competition at the Big Show is on another level - but he just navigated a 45 man bracket in two days; NCAA's is 33 men in three days.

All it takes is 5 wins...

NCAA's is the absolute best 33 men at the weight, with all trying to do their best to peak(and many already have strong experience doing so) while having BY FAR the most fans crammed in with ESPN productions and an immeasurable amount of hype.

I don't think any event short of the Olympics compares and even that structure doesn't have to account for bad weight management over the course of 3 days or any other myriad of things that happen often during that span.  Now, I am not saying the competition level compares to the Olympics, but athletes preparation and performance during(IMHO) is every bit as difficult, if not more so.

NCAA's is the absolute best 33 men at the weight, with all trying to do their best to peak(and many already have strong experience doing so) while having BY FAR the most fans crammed in with ESPN productions and an immeasurable amount of hype.

I don't think any event short of the Olympics compares and even that structure doesn't have to account for bad weight management over the course of 3 days or any other myriad of things that happen often during that span.  Now, I am not saying the competition level compares to the Olympics, but athletes preparation and performance during(IMHO) is every bit as difficult, if not more so.

Yianni is a two-time world champion.  I'm guessing he knows all about weight management, peaking, and performing on a big stage with lots of hype.

Yianni is a two-time world champion.  I'm guessing he knows all about weight management, peaking, and performing on a big stage with lots of hype.

Honestly, I still don't think those compare.  As a competitor, there simply isn't anything like the NCAA's especially after wrestling a super long season.  Now, I am not saying he is going to fall on his face, but I just can't pick him as an NCAA Champ right now.  Hell, he may even win it.  I just wouldn't pick a true freshman to do it, even one as good as he is, against that 141 field.

Honestly, I still don't think those compare.  As a competitor, there simply isn't anything like the NCAA's especially after wrestling a super long season.  Now, I am not saying he is going to fall on his face, but I just can't pick him as an NCAA Champ right now.  Hell, he may even win it.  I just wouldn't pick a true freshman to do it, even one as good as he is, against that 141 field.

He's as good a pick as anyone else given how athletic he is. He does things with his movement that other guys don't do. 

I've picked him to win it for some time, but I felt the Meredith match wasn't as convincing as some say. I felt he got screwed out of a TD to go to OT (I watched the match half a dozen times and counted four in the "danger" position, and to me, Meredith broke 90 degrees the whole time), but once in OT, it was very precarious for Yianni. He had to get a TD in a minute after only getting one in 7 minutes, or he would've lost the ride-outs. I do think Yianni showed a superior skill set which makes me confident he'll win next time too, but it was a very close match that could've gone the other way if Meredith held on for 20 or so more seconds.