We are not even close to the best wrestling nation until we start improving our upper body technique and placing medalists in Greco.  If you take our Greco results and add it to our Freestyle, we are more middle-of-the-pack. Freestyle is a "sexier" style for lack of better wording. So we have focused on that. But we are so lacking in upper body technique, which is what the average person thinks of when they think wrestler.   

Someone mentioned it was good we don't do well in freetyle. I really really disagree.  Plus, if rules ever change to reward throws more, and they eventually will I predict, then we will be facing a technique vacuum.  As a country we have to stop calling a guy looking for a throw who is not shooting for stalling. We also need to stop letting guys shoot in only to hold onto the leg for stalemate. To some degree that is stalling.  But mostly, we need to train our kids in throwing more and get more tieups.  

Again, until we do well in Greco, we are at best middle of the pack in the world of wrestling. One of the 4 or 5 best in Freestyle, but 10th or worse in Greco. 

We are not even close to the best wrestling nation until we start improving our upper body technique and placing medalists in Greco. If you take our Greco results and add it to our Freestyle, we are more middle-of-the-pack. Freestyle is a "sexier" style for lack of better wording. So we have focused on that. But we are so lacking in upper body technique, which is what the average person thinks of when they think wrestler.

Someone mentioned it was good we don't do well in freetyle. I really really disagree. Plus, if rules ever change to reward throws more, and they eventually will I predict, then we will be facing a technique vacuum. As a country we have to stop calling a guy looking for a throw who is not shooting for stalling. We also need to stop letting guys shoot in only to hold onto the leg for stalemate. To some degree that is stalling. But mostly, we need to train our kids in throwing more and get more tieups.

Again, until we do well in Greco, we are at best middle of the pack in the world of wrestling. One of the 4 or 5 best in Freestyle, but 10th or worse in Greco.

They are different sports

We are one of the best in freestyle

We are not good at Greco

Adding the medals together isn’t a valuable metric

Might as well throw BJJ in there if you are going to do that. They are totally different sports.

Yes we're not as good in it. So we can either bitch about it or keep working. I shudder to think where we would be had Lindland not taken over. We have a couple of young guys who are decent. We just need to keep working. Just bitching without offering solutions doesn't help and dropping the sport is a chicken**** way out

We are not even close to the best wrestling nation until we start improving our upper body technique and placing medalists in Greco.  If you take our Greco results and add it to our Freestyle, we are more middle-of-the-pack. Freestyle is a "sexier" style for lack of better wording. So we have focused on that. But we are so lacking in upper body technique, which is what the average person thinks of when they think wrestler.   

Someone mentioned it was good we don't do well in freetyle. I really really disagree.  Plus, if rules ever change to reward throws more, and they eventually will I predict, then we will be facing a technique vacuum.  As a country we have to stop calling a guy looking for a throw who is not shooting for stalling. We also need to stop letting guys shoot in only to hold onto the leg for stalemate. To some degree that is stalling.  But mostly, we need to train our kids in throwing more and get more tieups.  

ut mostly, we need to train our kids in throwing more and get more tieups.  LOL. Where kids can train greco if around folkstyle????  the  sport system in the U.S. killed many disciplines. You have implemented folkstyle. (folk style is good, created many good fighters) into the school system. "As you sow, so u shall u  reap"

ut mostly, we need to train our kids in throwing more and get more tieups.  LOL. Where kids can train greco if around folkstyle????  the  sport system in the U.S. killed many disciplines. You have implemented folkstyle. (folk style is good, created many good fighters) into the school system. "As you sow, so u shall u  reap"

Outstanding progression with your English Abdullah.  I am impress.  

We are not good at Greco

Might as well throw BJJ in there if you are going to do that. They are totally different sports.

No they aren't and Wrestling is the father of almost all martial arts anyway.  Greco and freestyle have the same basics. Positioning and strength become a bit more important. Greco Roman and Freestyle are the same sport, different disciplines.  Butterfly and backstroke are still swimming.  

We need to get better as a country and I am disgusted that people on here are saying that Greco needs to die in America? ....we need to get better and we need to get more throwing involved in folkstyle in order to improve our overall wrestling skills, but also to attract people to wrestling. Big Throws really sell the sport. 

Edited by Fishhook

We are not good at Greco

We are behind Russia, Iran, Azerbaijan pretty consistent in Freestyle, though not this year.  On average, in Freestyle we are about third or fourth.  If we got better at upper body ties I think our freestyle results would improve even more.  As far as shooting and finishing we are by far the best though.  I just wish we were more well-rounded in basic wrestling skills. 

No they aren't and Wrestling is the father of almost all martial arts anyway.  Greco and freestyle have the same basics. Positioning and strength become a bit more important. Greco Roman and Freestyle are the same sport, different disciplines.  Butterfly and backstroke are still swimming.  

We need to get better as a country and I am disgusted that people on here are saying that Greco needs to die in America? ....we need to get better and we need to get more throwing involved in folkstyle in order to improve our overall wrestling skills, but also to attract people to wrestling. Big Throws really sell the sport. 

Do you really think throwing has much of a place in modern Greco?  Modern Greco is pushing, blocking, and penalty points.  There is nothing in modern greco that sells the sport.