Damn Ozdemir from Turkey loses in the semis. Tough day EVENT for USA.

Five days, no medals. Fix is a disappointment, a couple of our ladies had a good shot at medals, Bey was a virtual no-show in Greco--but overall we sent a team across the board far below the level that other nations sent. Brooks and Kroells, for example, have no business being at a tournament like this that involves current or future senior reps. Not sure what we have to do to encourage better participation in the qualification process, but this is a HIGH-level event that attracted mostly a team of people outside the top 10 of our senior-level talent pool.

Five days, no medals. Fix is a disappointment, a couple of our ladies had a good shot at medals, Bey was a virtual no-show in Greco--but overall we sent a team across the board far below the level that other nations sent. Brooks and Kroells, for example, have no business being at a tournament like this that involves current or future senior reps. Not sure what we have to do to encourage better participation in the qualification process, but this is a HIGH-level event that attracted mostly a team of people outside the top 10 of our senior-level talent pool.

I totally agree. I mean Georgia sent Geno Petriashvili at 125kg who is the reigning world champ. It would not have been beneath Snyder to show up. If we had sent our Jr. World team it would have been a step up in many weight classes (96kg, 86kg). 

Bad performance by Fix, though--especially after the first takedown by Ibrahimov. Anyone could see the guy was 100% counters, especially off snap-downs and "head hanging" by his opponent. Coaches were even screaming, "don't hang." But he gives up key scores TWICE when Ibrahimov is on the clock because Fix can't restrain himself from head snapping for a few seconds.

No excuse because they got beat fair and square, but, man, McKee and Fix's quarters were loaded compared to the other quarter on their halves. I would put a lot of money on Fix or Yatsenko beating Andreu of Cuba easily, but Ibrahimov had nothing left late (and gave up a phantom two in my opinion and should have been up 4-1 before the late takedown). And Ozdemir of Turkey clearly was completely gassed after his 8-8 match in the quarters and still somehow almost comes back 20 minutes later to advance in the semi's. McKee would have had a second shot in the repechage in a just world with balanced brackets too.

Edited by maligned

I guess Gilman is better than Fix after all.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

It's the first time it's ever been exposed so well against Fix: he doesn't have the needed offense from outside or from angles when he's facing someone who controls the hand fight so well. He rarely came close to launching a real shot because everything he does is close-in off ties or straight-down-the-middle attacks. He was slowed down unbelievably well.

Edited by maligned

Bad performance by Fix, though--especially after the first takedown by Ibrahimov. Anyone could see the guy was 100% counters, especially off snap-downs and "head hanging" by his opponent. Coaches were even screaming, "don't hang." But he gives up key scores TWICE when Ibrahimov is on the clock because Fix can't restrain himself from head snapping for a few seconds.

No excuse because they got beat fair and square, but, man, McKee and Fix's quarters were loaded compared to the other quarter on their halves. I would put a lot of money on Fix or Yatsenko beating Andreu of Cuba easily, but Ibrahimov had nothing left late (and gave up a phantom two in my opinion and should have been up 4-1 before the late takedown). And Ozdemir of Turkey clearly was completely gassed after his 8-8 match in the quarters and still somehow almost comes back 20 minutes later to advance in the semi's. McKee would have had a second shot in the repechage in a just world with balanced brackets too.

It was hard to tell whether it was truly a bad performance by Fix all around or tactically stupid for being so aggressive when Ibrahimov was on the clock. 

What's truly disappointing in both cases is how tough their halves were. Both the guys who beat them (Fix and McKee) were right there to make the finals versus relatively weak upper brackets. Too bad. 

Don’t worry about this result

Fix also didn’t do well his first year at juniors.

McKee is in the middle of a college season.

We are still one of the favorites for cadets, juniors and world’s next year.

Fix will win a world gold before he retires. Fix losing here doesn’t mean he loses to Gilman head to head. Even if he does at trials this year, he is 19. He has plenty of time to improve.

We will have a medal contender at every weight next year.

Fix out?

Thanks, Folkstyle

The other day you whined that Fix wasn't wrestling folk and John Smith stole a great matchup from you.  Now you whine he is wrestling folk.  I guess when you're that big of a whiner it's hard to keep it all straight.  

Disappointing day from Fix.  Usually he is the guy countering and this guy didn't let him do that.  Maybe it's a blueprint for wrestling him.