The other day you whined that Fix wasn't wrestling folk and John Smith stole a great matchup from you. Now you whine he is wrestling folk. I guess when you're that big of a whiner it's hard to keep it all straight.

Disappointing day from Fix. Usually he is the guy countering and this guy didn't let him do that. Maybe it's a blueprint for wrestling him.

I wouldn’t read into it too much.

Fix doesn’t only win from counters. He had a bad day. He will be back. He is 19

The other day you whined that Fix wasn't wrestling folk and John Smith stole a great matchup from you. Now you whine he is wrestling folk. I guess when you're that big of a whiner it's hard to keep it all straight.

Disappointing day from Fix. Usually he is the guy countering and this guy didn't let him do that. Maybe it's a blueprint for wrestling him.

Nice catch!

It was hard to tell whether it was truly a bad performance by Fix all around or tactically stupid for being so aggressive when Ibrahimov was on the clock. 

What's truly disappointing in both cases is how tough their halves were. Both the guys who beat them (Fix and McKee) were right there to make the finals versus relatively weak upper brackets. Too bad. 

For me, it's hard to separate "tactically stupid" from "bad performance." He only had one match and that match was a bad performance by his standards--and the primary reason was his tactics in my opinion.

Others are very much right, though. He's 19. He looked over-eager and probably thought he could overwhelm Ibrahimovic with pressure when in fact it fed right into his opponent's defensive-minded, counter-attacking style. He'll be back with a vengeance if he's got his head on as well as it seems from a distance.

It sure looks like Daton was well scouted. If you go back to Jr World's this past summer, Daton pretty much head snapped and dragged his way through the tournament to win the gold. He looked a lot more aggressive at Jr Worlds as well. A quick look at Daton's first scoring points at Jr's:

Rd 1 vs Algeria, Daton hits a nice duck under at about 1 minute into the match to score first.

Rd 2 vs AZE, there's the head snap at 11 seconds into the first to take the lead and never look back (AZE looked prepared to counter this snap today).

Rd 3 vs UZB, Daton scores the only point in the first with a passivity, but hits the snap drag at 15 seconds into the second and scores the td at 3:30 following a nice scramble.

Semis vs Iran, beautiful snap drag to score 4 seconds into the match.

Finals vs RUS, another killer head snap drag 5 seconds into the match for the td and then the tech for gold.

Ok, so this post may be a little 20/20 hindsight, but it sure looks like AZE was actually ready and looking to counter off that head snap. And he did and he won.

Speculating here, but did Daton throw too many fastballs to a prepared and good fastball hitter? Don't know if the low single series (or something else in neutral on feet) is in Daton's repertoire, but perhaps a nice curveball or change up would have really helped his fastball and help him win?

Again not trying to be a technique expert here, but if you go back and scout Jr Worlds, sure seems like Daton was very predictable today.

Edited by 2td3nf

At 86kg Karimi from Iran last to Zhabrailov from Russia 14-3. Karimi was 2015 senior world Bronze. In today's match Karimi was up 3-2 when the Russian took him down and leg laced him to death.

That was intentional actually, they were following the USA/ISR match at the same time and when Israeli guy won the match, Karimi had to lose (or not motivated to win) to avoid him in the 2nd round.

yeah I know this is terrble

That was intentional actually, they were following the USA/ISR match at the same time and when Israeli guy won the match, Karimi had to lose (or not motivated to win) to avoid him in the 2nd round.

yeah I know this is terrble

I knew that Iran always forfeits to Israel (as Karimi did in consis) but it didn't occur to me he lost on purpose. That said, thinking back it looked odd how easily the Russian leg-laced Karimi. And as I think about it, it's sound strategically once you accept you are going to forfeit to the Israeli. The Russian had a shot of making the finals, the Israeli didn't. So Karimi's best bet at placing was losing to the Russian, but in the end he had to forfeit to the Isareli anyhow in consis.

Edited by BigTimeFan

If you see they threw the cube randomly in the middle of the match. At this point they talked to Karimi and then cancelled the challenge which was just an opportunity to tell him to lose the match. This is why he spent the second period looking at the coaches and why he got into an argument with them after the match. 

The rest of the Iran team was poor as always. 

Edited by Shiraz123

If you see they threw the cube randomly in the middle of the match. At this point they talked to Karimi and then cancelled the challenge which was just an opportunity to tell him to lose the match. This is why he spent the second period looking at the coaches and why he got into an argument with them after the match.

That so embarrassing.

It is a sport. Get over it, Iran.

Even North Korea competes against South Korea.

I assume you said the same when we won junior worlds? And the US team won world last year?

All of our wrestlers focus or focused on folkstyle. It’s why we have the best singles and doubles in the world.

The U.S. does not have the best singles and doubles in the world.

Well, good news and bad news so far on day 6:

McKenna steamrolls the Pole quickly to advance to the R16

Walz has a decent draw. Directly into the R16 and has a tough German with some strong junior-level credentials there.

Martinez gets largely controlled by the Russian Nabiev, falling behind 6-2 before scoring a couple points late when Nabiev was just protecting the lead..final 6-5. The good news is that the R16 and quarters both look like they'll be much weaker opponents. This means that if Nabiev goes to the final as expected, IMar would have 2 very winnable repechage matches to advance to a bronze match this evening.

Richie Lewis up in a minute with his R32 match.

Edited by maligned

I knew that Iran always forfeits to Israel (as Karimi did in consis) but it didn't occur to me he lost on purpose. That said, thinking back it looked odd how easily the Russian leg-laced Karimi. And as I think about it, it's sound strategically once you accept you are going to forfeit to the Israeli. The Russian had a shot of making the finals, the Israeli didn't. So Karimi's best bet at placing was losing to the Russian, but in the end he had to forfeit to the Isareli anyhow in consis.

Ironically, the Israeli took bronze, beating the Belarussian that he would have had in the semi's if Karimi had advanced in the winners' bracket and forfeited to the Israeli in the quarters. If we assume the same result that happened in the bronze match would have happened in the semi's, Karimi would have been able to wrestle for bronze instead of being eliminated as he was in the repechage. 

Edited by maligned

Richie Lewis with a quick tech over Rutner of Canada. 

Upcoming:

R16 @ 65kg: McKenna vs Kuular-Russia (Mat B, 513)

R16 @ 74kg: Nabiev-Russia vs. Mazeika-Lithuania (Mat B, 515)

R16 @ 70kg: Lewis vs. Rashytkhanau-Belarus (Mat B, 518)

R16 @ 97kg: Walz vs. Thiele-Germany (Mat A, 486)

Edited by maligned

A few results from last night that people haven't mentioned:

Ibrahimov, the Azerbaijani who upset Fix and Yatsenko, takes bronze. Andreu the Cuban who knocked off Ibrahimov wins gold easily.

Ozdemir, the Turk who beat McKee, won bronze easily. Recall that Ozdemir had an insane 8-8 match in the quarters and had to wrestle the semi's on like 20 minutes' rest, falling to, in my opinion, a much inferior Kazakh 3-3 while investing almost no energy while still recuperating. The Kazakh predictably got steamrolled in the finals.

The Israeli that tossed and pinned Brooks surprisingly took bronze over a decent Belarussian.

Petriashvili got 4 techs and a gold medal, yielding 1 point on the day.

Edited by maligned

Ironically, the Israeli took bronze, beating the Belarussian that he would have had in the semi's if Karimi had advanced in the winners' bracket and forfeited to the Israeli in the quarters. If we assume the same result that happened in the bronze match would have happened in the semi's, Karimi would have been able to wrestle for bronze instead of being eliminated as he was in the repechage. 

I believe they are getting worried about some repercussions from UWW for obviously forfeiting to Israel due to political reasons. I even heard the whole team could be banned. This is why they always cover it somehow, for example saying the wrestler is injured or losing the match before. If he had beat Russia and then not come out for the match with Israel then they were worried the Russian team would protest as their wrestler would lose his chance for bronze and it would cause issues. The way they did it here they probably claimed he got injured in the match with Russia or during his warmup for the repechage. 

If he had beat Russia and then not come out for the match with Israel then they were worried the Russian team would protest as their wrestler would lose his chance for bronze

I didn't think about that component. Interesting.

Thanks Shiraz. Amazing. We only see what we think we should see sometimes, I missed that entirely.

My assumption has always been that while it's the official position of the government to forfeit to Israel (is it because they think Israeli shouldn't exist? Because they want to protest?), I always assumed the individuals involved just want to compete and would gladly wrestle the Israelis. Therefore the policy punishes the athletes as much as it protests Israel. What do you think?

Sunday November 26:

So far Martinez lost to the Russian Nabiev. Nabiev was extremely tough. Martinez came out very aggressive, lots of underhooks and snaps and level changes, but Nabiev picked that apart not unlike Ibrahamiv did to Daton Fix. Nabiev got ahead 6-0 but Martinez did a good  job of wearing him down. A wild scramble led to an off mat takedown and then there was a pushout. With ten seconds left IMart got a takedown to make it 6-5. Time expired in par terre.

Sunday November 26:

So far Martinez lost to the Russian Nabiev. Nabiev was extremely tough. Martinez came out very aggressive, lots of underhooks and snaps and level changes, but Nabiev picked that apart not unlike Ibrahamiv did to Daton Fix. Nabiev got ahead 6-0 but Martinez did a good  job of wearing him down. A wild scramble led to an off mat takedown and then there was a pushout. With ten seconds left IMart got a takedown to make it 6-5. Time expired in par terre.

Check back to page 6 before you type up a bunch more stuff (if you want)...a bunch of updates are there