daamn i watch Russian forum (vo.com) and here. What a reaction in this board when Lewis won gold lol. Like be Olympic champion. when you win very rarely it seems very impressive to you :c 

Abdullah I think we as Americans just get a little excited.    We don't have the tradition or recent history of other dominant countries like Iran, Azerbaijan, etc.     The Russians are probably bored from so much winning it must be difficult for you guys to get excited.         But with USA destroying the schedule with multiple levels world champs this past year, we're excited and justifiably so.    We don't know how it is until now.    Celebrate with us when we get some of these little wins.   We make you honorary yankee.      What do you say?   

Ok, looking ahead will there be a 2018 U23 World Championships? I see the U23 Euros are scheduled for June 4-10, the World Universities Sept 5-9, and the senior World Championships are now moved to Oct 20-28 next year.

Don't see a U23 World championship for 2018.

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/events

edit: UWW schedule here is 2017, scroll date to 2018 for schedule

Edited by 2td3nf

Anyone catch the Russian who teched Bajrang for gold in the 65kg final? Very impressive young wrestler. Bajrang is very experienced for this age division and has been wrestling seniors for a long time and this guy just tossed him all over the place. Multiple 4 point moves. 

Couple of more things from U23 (still going through the matches):

1. In Imar's bronze medal match, Imar down 5-0 and Kentchadze (GEO) scores another takedown at 1:12 video time, almost has the lace, then continues to work for the lace and finally locks it up at 1:29 and puts Imar away. My point being, wow, GEO did not give up on that lace after scoring the td. How many wrestlers are just content with the 2td?

2. Gosh, in the interview after Day 2 of Greco, Coach Lindland was not happy. Not just at the results, but the approach and choices some of the Greco athletes had?

Well after a long tough week, it's good to see our guys finally get some medals and a "Title." I hate to admit it, but Richie Lewis was not on my radar, but huge congrats to him.

Earlier in the week I really wasn't sure about McKenna's chances, since he was hurt in his wrestle offs and he's wrestling at 65, but despite what I thought might be hinderences, he prevailed. I was also wasn't sure about Waltz, since he hadn't had any previous international experience. But irregardless of that, he was able to go out and string some wins together and bring home a Bronze, kudos to him. Now that Waltz has established himself at 97, It makes me wonder about how this will play out between him and Gadsen this upcoming season, as they vie for the right to challenge Captain America.

Richie Lewis fantastic run.    

With Lewis being the world champion,

is this the best under 23 freestyle wrestler in the world?   

Is he close to it ?

Best in USA?   

Should we expect him to tear through NCAA's?  

Not even close, this event sucks?              

What's the level of prestige here?   

Richie Lewis fantastic run.    

With Lewis being the world champion,

is this the best under 23 freestyle wrestler in the world?   

Is he close to it ?

Best in USA?   

Should we expect him to tear through NCAA's?  

Not even close, this event sucks?              

What's the level of prestige here?   

I'm no FS expert by any means, but it's higher prestige than Jr. Worlds, right? Seems like it would be, it's the next age group up. It's a stepdown from elite Sr World stuff though, Kyle didn't bother going.

I'm no FS expert by any means, but it's higher prestige than Jr. Worlds, right? Seems like it would be, it's the next age group up. It's a stepdown from elite Sr World stuff though, Kyle didn't bother going.

In my mind, U23 is not on the same level as JR Worlds because its the event's first year and it felt like a late addition to the calendar. Maybe after a few years of U23 being around, or moving it into the summer will force us to endlessly argue "which is better," but right now it's Junior Worlds by a large margin. 

In my mind, U23 is not on the same level as JR Worlds because its the event's first year and it felt like a late addition to the calendar. Maybe after a few years of U23 being around, or moving it into the summer will force us to endlessly argue "which is better," but right now it's Junior Worlds by a large margin. 

It's not the first year. It's a rebranded, upgraded version of University Worlds, which was held bi-annually from 1996 to 2016, plus 2005.

In my opinion, it's not as prestigious as Junior Worlds--but the level of competition was definitely a step higher. I think the 32 medal winners would, in general, have the upper hand on the equivalent Junior world medal winners. There were many ex-Junior medalists, ex-high finishers from big tournaments, and senior-level world team reps from good wrestling nations (and lots of good names that didn't medal, including a couple from the U. S. of A.). 

Edited by maligned

It's not the first year. It's a rebranded, upgraded version of University Worlds, which was held bi-annually from 1996 to 2016, plus 2005.

As someone else already mentioned, UWW has University Worlds on the calendar for 2018. I don't think U23 is meant to completely replace University Worlds. 

You guys cant talk **** this year. We beat you in the event that matters and even took out your best wrestler.

There are times to talk **** and time not to.

ok ok. We will see future :) dont be angry, i love burgers, i love american culture and coca-cola...In one year one victory. cSine 1995. Congrats. I know not too much golds go to U.S. u are happy, 2017 Happy year Americans :)fEnjoy this moment my KFC friend :) 

ok ok. We will see future :) dont be angry, i love burgers, i love american culture and coca-cola...In one year one victory. cSine 1995. Congrats. I know not too much golds go to U.S. u are happy, 2017 Happy year Americans :)fEnjoy this moment my KFC friend :)

KFC isn’t halal

Haha I’m not angry my friend!

Abdullah I think we as Americans just get a little excited.    We don't have the tradition or recent history of other dominant countries like Iran, Azerbaijan, etc.     The Russians are probably bored from so much winning it must be difficult for you guys to get excited.         But with USA destroying the schedule with multiple levels world champs this past year, we're excited and justifiably so.    We don't know how it is until now.    Celebrate with us when we get some of these little wins.   We make you honorary yankee.      What do you say?   

i am happy too when wrestling becoming very impressive. World championships UWW better than Judo world and Taekwondo worlds. We did it! Wrestling came to a new level. It's time destroy boxing and MMA. Together we are invincible!!!