• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 KCMO2

KCMO2

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 06:29 AM

No #1 recruits, but a darn tough early signing class.  Nice to see Smith keeping most of the top in-state talent at home.  Mauller and Jacques are from the same school as Eierman, and #4 Johnson will be a huge upgrade at 125.

http://www.mutigers....ing-period.aspx

#2 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,284 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 08:04 AM

Great class. Also exactly the type of guys Mizzou has a history of coaching up.

There is plenty of talent there.

Ceverado came out of nowhere to place 2nd in Greco. That was fun to watch.

Askren is very high on Mocco and Askren doesn’t overhype his own guys. He left wrestlingfor a little while and came back and then did very well on the national stage. His gymnastics background is going to give him an edge. I might be making this up, but I think one of his parents was a high level gymnast as well.

Kent is exactly the kind of guy that Mizzou does with. A super athlete who has a huge amount of room to grow. He has only been wrestling for a few years and has had some national level success. He will make a huge leap in the Mizzou room. It is difficult to tell exactly what that means, but he could end up being AA level.

Very excited for the future of the program

#3 Gantry

Gantry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,668 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 09:14 AM

Man that's a lot of recruits...

#4 Missourimatman

Missourimatman

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 10:20 AM

Kent could be a gem that no one knows about. Only started wrestling as a freshman, already with national level success and beat some NCAA qualifiers last spring. He seems like a great kid too.

#5 silver-medal

silver-medal

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,176 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 02:08 AM

I say it every year--Brian Smith does a fabulous job of recruiting kids who fit his model and coaching them up.  The fact they're competitive with the top teams in the country is a credit to him and his staff.  

• Housebuye likes this

#6 LemonPie

LemonPie

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,307 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 02:14 AM

Solid class indeed. Didn't realize it until this thread. Thanks

Anyone but Heil '18

http://contenttolosebythree.com

#7 Perry

Perry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 03:41 AM

Too bad Henson was able to pull dj Shannon out of state, he'd be a great add to an already outstanding list.

#8 KCMO2

KCMO2

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 04:39 AM

Too bad Henson was able to pull dj Shannon out of state, he'd be a great add to an already outstanding list.

That was a big loss, but given Henson's track record I'll give Shannon a 50/50 chance of ending up back at Mizzou.

• LemonPie likes this

#9 mlbruem

mlbruem

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 05:23 AM

That was a big loss, but given Henson's track record I'll give Shannon a 50/50 chance of ending up back at Mizzou.

Yes West Virginia is functioning as Mizzou's minor league affiliate.

#10 stp

stp

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 844 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 08:27 AM

Yes West Virginia is functioning as Mizzou's minor league affiliate.

They called up Meyer at HWT too soon.  Should have found another redshirt, someplace.  

• Housebuye likes this

#11 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,284 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 02:48 PM

They called up Meyer at HWT too soon. Should have found another redshirt, someplace.

He did qualify for NCAAs. That is his ceiling though, which doesn’t help a program like Mizzou

#12 KCMO2

KCMO2

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 04:03 PM

He did qualify for NCAAs. That is his ceiling though, which doesn’t help a program like Mizzou

That's his ceiling?  For the most part he improved throughout the season, and was the only freshman who qualified.  He's not going to set the world on fire, but I hardly think he's peaked.

#13 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,284 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 12:32 AM

That's his ceiling? For the most part he improved throughout the season, and was the only freshman who qualified. He's not going to set the world on fire, but I hardly think he's peaked.

I could be wrong. I’m a Mizzou fan and hope I am.

He seems to beat the mediocre guys and lose to everyone else. He just got pinned in the first against Illunois’s backup.

I don’t mean to bash him. I’m just giving my honest assessment

#14 tigerfan9311

tigerfan9311

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 828 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:53 AM

Does anyone know if any other D1 teams are sending starters to Lindenwood Open next weekend?  I enjoy attending that tourney and plan to again, but usually OkSt, Ill, or others send some quality guys to give Mizzou some competition.  Just wondering if that will be the case this year.

#15 KCMO2

KCMO2

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 04:01 AM

I could be wrong. I’m a Mizzou fan and hope I am.

He seems to beat the mediocre guys and lose to everyone else. He just got pinned in the first against Illunois’s backup.

I don’t mean to bash him. I’m just giving my honest assessment

I didn't think you were bashing him, I just don't think that you could say that he's peaked when he's got 3 more years of college left, and he's in a room where he's wrestling Cox, Miklus, and Clemson on a daily basis.  

#16 KCMO2

KCMO2

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 04:05 AM

Does anyone know if any other D1 teams are sending starters to Lindenwood Open next weekend?  I enjoy attending that tourney and plan to again, but usually OkSt, Ill, or others send some quality guys to give Mizzou some competition.  Just wondering if that will be the case this year.

Doubt if you'll see any starters from Okie State or Illinois.  OSU is wrestling Minnesota in Stillwater the next day, and Illinois will be in California wrestling next weekend.

#17 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,284 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 04:41 AM

I didn't think you were bashing him, I just don't think that you could say that he's peaked when he's got 3 more years of college left, and he's in a room where he's wrestling Cox, Miklus, and Clemson on a daily basis.

I guess we will see

#18 tigerfan9311

tigerfan9311

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 828 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 12:04 PM

https://www.missouri...d-open-preview/

It looks like we might see Eierman vs Storr/Lugo, and Miklus vs. Jake Smith.  At least some representation from Michigan, ISU, Ohio, NIU, OkSt, Purdue, Iowa, Okla, WVU, and Wisky, although mostly RS's and back-ups. Eierman's matches alone are worth the trip.

#19 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,284 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 12:48 PM

Lugo is at 141?! Could Iowa be planning to pull his shirt if he looks to be AA ready?

I’m high on mejias, but Lewis is so damn good.

#20 JasonBryant

JasonBryant

I love the Goonies.

• Members
  • 8,644 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 01:29 PM

Lugo will not be 141. At least not this season. Iowa’s release about who will attend doesn’t even list Lugo at all.

Don't work here no more. Happy now?

www.mattalkonline.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users