• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 Perry

Perry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,317 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 10:40 AM

I think some may be a little too high on Nevills. He's very good and could slot into the 2 to 6 range but I don't think he's at coons level, personally. I'm excited to see him and kasper go again, their last matches end still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

#22 MSU158

MSU158

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,524 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 10:58 AM

Coon has cement bags for hips and another set for thighs. He still wrestles like a heavyweight so watching his other matches will almost make those behind Snyder think Coon can't match up with him. This is a mistake. Snyder is still definitely a favorite, but he needs to choose his attacks wisely. If he does not finish fast he will feel the full weight and strength of Coon often.

With the above in mind you will probably still see the 7-4 type Match we saw the last time. Snyder picks his offense wisely and avoids hyper aggressive mistakes. No need to risk injury or get caught in a bad position trying to go for an unnecessary major decision.
  • powershouse and teach like this

#23 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,615 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 11:25 AM

I agree with everything you said, but with all due respect to Coon, Hall, et al, after beating the world’s pound for pound best wrestler over the summer, facing the D1 guys has to feel like the time the fat kid on the junior high JV squad who outweighed you by 50 lbs wanted to go takedowns with you to be able to say he got one on you. You know 100% you’re going to get him. You just don’t want him to fall on you.
  • 2td3nf and AllISeeIsBronze like this

#24 LordNelson

LordNelson

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 11:49 AM

I came away thinking that the Coon/Snyder bouts (at least a few 'em) in the near future will be quite different. That is, different for Mr Coon.

Don't get me wrong. I like Coon....sorta. During his bouts with Snyder, he will not 'horse' Kyle, as he did Hall tonight.  When, or if, he goes

uppers with Snyder, it could be his undoing. 

Well, if he doesn't go uppers with Snyder then he truly has no chance.

You can't take your best wrestling off the table against the best there is and win.

• powershouse likes this

#25 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 11:51 AM

I agree with everything you said, but with all due respect to Coon, Hall, et al, after beating the world’s pound for pound best wrestler over the summer, facing the D1 guys has to feel like the time the fat kid on the junior high JV squad who outweighed you by 50 lbs wanted to go takedowns with you to be able to say he got one on you. You know 100% you’re going to get him. You just don’t want him to fall on you.

I get what you're saying, but that junior high fat kid typically is a pretty bad athlete and doesn't know what he's doing nor have the coordination to control his own body let alone someone else's. The talent gap between said fat kid and a varsity level athlete is far greater than between even the best in the world and a top level NCAA athlete IMO.

Edited by BigTenFanboy, 11 November 2017 - 11:52 AM.

• teach likes this

#26 denny

denny

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,653 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 01:06 PM

Well, if he doesn't go uppers with Snyder then he truly has no chance.

You can't take your best wrestling off the table against the best there is and win.

Yeah OK.  I have seen Snyder improve his lower levels in recent years. Quite a bit. When Coon is grabbing & slapping for control of upper body, or double unders if you will, then Snyder could likely drop to the lower legs. And, of course that is a projection on my part.  

#27 LordNelson

LordNelson

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 01:16 PM

Yeah OK. I have seen Snyder improve his lower levels in recent years. Quite a bit. When Coon is grabbing & slapping for control of upper body, or double unders if you will, then Snyder could likely drop to the lower legs. And, of course that is a projection on my part.

Well, how else is Coon going to compete with him in this hypothetical world we’re living in in this thread?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#28 denny

denny

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,653 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 02:22 PM

Well, how else is Coon going to compete with him in this hypothetical world we’re living in in this thread?

Don't want to take issue with everything that is stated here on our wonderful wrestling web.

Is a lot of what we say and/or predict pretty much assumed/assumption ? A guess of sorts ?

This, my friend is subject matter that is not necessarily empirically based. 

#29 LordNelson

LordNelson

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:16 AM

Don't want to take issue with everything that is stated here on our wonderful wrestling web.

Is a lot of what we say and/or predict pretty much assumed/assumption ? A guess of sorts ?

This, my friend is subject matter that is not necessarily empirically based.

Well data shows Snyder is good.
Data shows Coon digs hooks.
Data shows that Snyder appears to be gooder than Coon’s hooks.

Either way Coon is going to dig em’.

Edited by LordNelson, 12 November 2017 - 04:56 AM.

• JBluegill133 likes this

#30 denny

denny

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,653 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:25 AM

Well data shows Snyder is good.
Data shows Coon digs hooks.
Data shows that Snyder appears to be gooder than Coon’s hooks.

Either way Coon is going to dig em’.

I can dig it

#31 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,086 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:14 AM

Hooks are Coons only (and extremely small) chance. It's what he does best. They could wrestle 10 times and it would be 3 or more takedowns from Snyder to zero maybe 1 for Coon.
  • denny likes this

#32 WillieBoy

WillieBoy

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:23 AM

Maybe Snyder should watch Morgan McIntosh against Coon before college? McIntosh made him look silly in the match.

If Coon has not improved his game he has not chance to win. If he has and can keep it close and uses his weight on top he has a chance. Maybe not a big one, but it is there. An off day by Snyder and an all out effort by Coon?

#33 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,086 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:32 AM

Maybe Snyder should watch Morgan McIntosh against Coon before college? McIntosh made him look silly in the match.

If Coon has not improved his game he has not chance to win. If he has and can keep it close and uses his weight on top he has a chance. Maybe not a big one, but it is there. An off day by Snyder and an all out effort by Coon?

I have a chance against Synder too, I have a hard head, we could could bang heads and he'd have to do concussion protocol.  LOL

#34 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:42 AM

People are talking about Coon like he's just a regular guy. Didn't he win some world titles of his own on the Jr stage?

Gotta favor Snyder because he has superior technique, quickness. But strength has a place on the mat too. Thing is, I'm not sure that Coon is stronger than Snyder, either.

• teach likes this

#35 teach

teach

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:37 AM

People are talking about Coon like he's just a regular guy. Didn't he win some world titles of his own on the Jr stage?

Gotta favor Snyder because he has superior technique, quickness. But strength has a place on the mat too. Thing is, I'm not sure that Coon is stronger than Snyder, either.

Exactly, Coon is a world class wrestler and pretty darn tough with upper body technique (dah). Plus don't look at the Hall match and think to much.  Hall has a way of making everyone look average.  He wrestles people to a one or two point match all the time.  Even when he loses it is usually very close.  I am not saying Coon can beat Snyder, but I don't think he will, or can, take it as an easy match.

#36 Divided42

Divided42

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:23 AM

Cadet Free World Title over current World heavyweight champ Geno Petriashvilli. Junior Bronze medal in both Free and Greco in 2014.

#37 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,086 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:52 AM

When talking about a match up with Snyder he kind of is a regular guy, though he is in good company.  Scary thing is Snyder has gotten better since the last time they wrestled. 

#38 TakedownfromMotown

TakedownfromMotown
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:39 AM

The reality is Coon has very little chance of beating Snyder, I think we all realize that.  His only chance in my opinion is to force the upper body stuff, make it as much of a greco match as possible.  He needs to take risks that could end up getting him pinned, majored or teched.  A loss is a loss, go down swinging for the fences in this case.  As great as Coon is, and I do think he will go down as one of the best Heavies not to win, he needs to go for broke, has to use his big size advantage to have a shot.  Even the threat of a throw would have to slow Snyder down a bit. I think the more Coon get's to wrestle him this year the better for him, Vegas, dual, big tens, they could meet at a minimum 3 times before ncaa's, if Snyder beats him handily each time, which I expect, he's much more likely to try and hit a big throw and go for the home run.

#39 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:52 AM

The reality is Coon has very little chance of beating Snyder, I think we all realize that.  His only chance in my opinion is to force the upper body stuff, make it as much of a greco match as possible.  He needs to take risks that could end up getting him pinned, majored or teched.  A loss is a loss, go down swinging for the fences in this case.  As great as Coon is, and I do think he will go down as one of the best Heavies not to win, he needs to go for broke, has to use his big size advantage to have a shot.  Even the threat of a throw would have to slow Snyder down a bit. I think the more Coon get's to wrestle him this year the better for him, Vegas, dual, big tens, they could meet at a minimum 3 times before ncaa's, if Snyder beats him handily each time, which I expect, he's much more likely to try and hit a big throw and go for the home run.

If it was me wrestling Snyder, I'd tie him up and put all my weight on him I could. I would NOT shoot on Snyder at all...he's so much quicker he could spin around and get a cheap takedown if you can't get in deep enough (and it's hard to get in deep on a faster wrestler). I'd limit my offense to upper body stuff like bear hugs, lateral drop attempts, stuff like that (I guess I agree with you about the Greco approach, TakedownfromMotown). I'd definitely be using my leverage to push Snyder around on the mat as well if possible. Referees seem to like it, and if Kyle can't make any good shots he might get nailed for passivity...or maybe Snyder would get frustrated and make a bad shot and Coon can get 2 cheap points.

Essentially I'd do this: try not to go under for takedowns, try to use my size advantage to push Kyle around/tire him out. And stall, stall, stall.

#40 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,086 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:02 AM

I agree, upper body looking for a throw is pretty much his best chance. I said earlier you go with your strengths. Even if he doesn't get a fall that is 6 and he is big enough to ride Snyder to kill some more time. I doubt however Snyder will slow down on a throw threat, he is just so tough in the ties and as long as he keeps his feet moving he is hard to load up.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users