Posted 12 November 2017 - 05:30 AM

Chance 2 Lehigh 0

#22 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 10,369 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 05:47 AM

They ended the event on Flo, so I guess Pool winners are not going head to head.

I have set aside funds to have six Green Bay Packers be my pall bearers, that way they can let me down one final time. 

#23 lu_alum

lu_alum

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,664 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 05:57 AM

They ended the event on Flo, so I guess Pool winners are not going head to head.

Pool winners went HTH.  e.g., Marstellar and Walter were pool winners in the A Group.

Group winners did not go HTH.

• TBar1977 likes this

#24 cornercoach

cornercoach

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:28 AM

.....scribe and stp- - - those are cheap shots....

• tightwaist likes this

#25 silver-medal

silver-medal

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,167 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:22 AM

Chance's issues have been well documented.  I'm glad he's doing better and wrestling well.  

• Fletcher likes this

#26 garyc

garyc
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:51 AM

Glad to see he's wrestling. I guess old age brain fart thought he was wrestling for Lehigh. Thanks for the updates guys!

#27 gowrestle

gowrestle

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:59 PM

Keep telling yourself that was the issue

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

To me: “Marsteller cut too much weight at OSU.”
  • Fletcher likes this

#28 pennsyrules

pennsyrules

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,742 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:23 PM

I would have to agree.  He looks solid and good right now at 165.  Also, his technique is about as solid as they come.  Real nice stuff!  I just hope that mentally he stays solid and continues to stay straight when he's off the mat.

#29 spladle08

spladle08

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 499 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:21 AM

To me: “Marsteller cut too much weight at OSU.”

Marsteller was a drug and alcohol abuser at OSU, and its hard to compete against the best when thats your lifestyle, makes every aspect of life more difficult. (Including the weight cut)

Assuming his ish is in order and he can maintain through the season he could definitely AA.

The whole "His poor performance at OSU was because Smith made him cut too much weight" narrative, is incorrect.

• hammerlockthree likes this

#30 pennsyrules

pennsyrules

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,742 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:54 AM

While I wouldn't be surprised that his issues were happening at OSU, do you know that for sure or are you guessing?  It is difficult to have alcohol issues when you are cutting weight and he was at 157 for awhile.  I just don't know that we can assume it was one over the other.  I am just glad he seems to be working things out.  It will be a great story for the kid.  As we all know, substance abuse issues are in all walks of life, let's just hope he does well as a person and continues to be successful on the mat.

#31 ionel

ionel

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:24 AM

While I wouldn't be surprised that his issues were happening at OSU, do you know that for sure or are you guessing?  It is difficult to have alcohol issues when you are cutting weight and he was at 157 for awhile.  I just don't know that we can assume it was one over the other.  I am just glad he seems to be working things out.  It will be a great story for the kid.  As we all know, substance abuse issues are in all walks of life, let's just hope he does well as a person and continues to be successful on the mat.

Even when wrestling 165lb at open tournaments he had 3rd period issues, so no indication it was simply a weight issue.  Maybe he just isn't (or wasn't) a 7 minute wrestler, don't think we yet have enough info to know for sure.

#32 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:41 AM

Marsteller was a drug and alcohol abuser at OSU, and its hard to compete against the best when thats your lifestyle, makes every aspect of life more difficult. (Including the weight cut)

Assuming his ish is in order and he can maintain through the season he could definitely AA.

The whole "His poor performance at OSU was because Smith made him cut too much weight" narrative, is incorrect.

The he cut too much weight narrative needs to go away. Its ridiculous. 

Edited by hammerlockthree, 13 November 2017 - 06:41 AM.

• spladle08 likes this

#33 SetonHallPirate

SetonHallPirate

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 10,506 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:53 AM

Re Marsteller: https://www.golhu.co...kly-awards.aspx

Friday-Saturday, December 1-2: Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational, Las Vegas, NV

Building a better Pirate...construction in process.

Editor-in-Chief, WrestlingByPirate

Website/Blog: http://wrestlingbypirate.wordpress.com

Twitter: @wrestlingbypir8

#34 KTG119

KTG119

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:13 AM

not saying this is what he did and for sure not advocating it, but you can drink a lot and cut weight. just drink instead of eating.

to echo others in this thread, I'm very happy to see it looks like he is turning things around. 

• spladle08 likes this

#35 boconnell

boconnell

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:32 AM

Looks like he gets Cole Walter instead of Chandler Rogers, due to the pools.  I can imagine an individual OSU wrestler lands in whatever pool Smith says, so they are ducking him.  Here are the brackets.

You honestly think Smith cared about Rogers wrestling Marstellar?  Smith is the last guy to duck anyone.  He put guys out there in a late January dual last year against Mizzou even with prior wins, and then they lost and gave away seeds that could have been locked up by ducking.  There is zero chance that Smith is doctoring brackets in a back room to avoid a 1X AA wrestling a guy he might lose to. 

• spladle08 and rcoates1 like this

#36 MadMardigain

MadMardigain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,408 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:35 AM

The he cut too much weight narrative needs to go away. Its ridiculous.

While the other extra curricular activities likely added to the issue, I’d still go along with the narrative that he was poorly managing his weight cut. Not so much that it was too much, but rather his poor weight cutting plan/methods made it impossible to compete against top college level guys. As has been pointed out earlier that would place more of the issue on his shoulders than on the coaches.

Edited by MadMardigain, 13 November 2017 - 10:49 AM.

• spladle08 and hammerlockthree like this

#37 tec87

tec87

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,906 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:41 AM

While the other extra curricular activities likely added to the issue, I’d still go along with the narrative that he he has poorly managing his weight cut. Not so much that it was too much, but rather his poor weight cutting made it impossible to compete against top college level guys.

This!

Plus people questioning his gas tank, remember you are basing the gas tank questions on a small sample of matches his true frosh year. He might have had some conditioning issues or looked like it because it was the first time he’s probably seen the third period in actual competitive matches outside of a rare occasion in high school.

I’m not saying he doesn’t have gas issues as I haven’t seen many of his matches, just adding something else that can play into that along with everything else mentioned in here.
  • hammerlockthree likes this
FIRE UP CHIPS!!!!

#38 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:43 AM

Yeah good points. 

#39 cornercoach

cornercoach

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:47 PM

..... until Chance signs up for a reality TV series, how about we all cheer him on for his next competition

rather than guessing and regurgitating things that are in the rear view mirror ....... 

• tightwaist, Tofurky, JBluegill133 and 1 other like this

#40 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,245 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:56 PM

I hope Chance AAs. I think he will.

I don’t think he can beat iMar or Massa

I perpetually underrate Cenzo, but I feel like that’s a match Chance could win
  • JBluegill133 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic